Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changes to Energy Generation  (Read 5644 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Changes to Energy Generation
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
I watched a neat article on YouTube today.  I do enjoy Robert Llewellyn and his Fully Charged series.  This one dropped a small $80 Billion bomb about 2/3s way through.  Older oil and gas rigs in the North Sea are being pulled out.  The current crop is going to cost eighty billion dollars just for removal.  How can Shell or Exon afford to do this?  They don't.  The people of the United Kingdom are.  Please don't bitch about electric car subsidies out loud to me ever again.  Oops, that should be 80 billion UK pounds; not USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYr7aGf0-wA
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:31:48 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Changes to Energy Generation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »

Gee.  $160 billion of our little wee $NZ dollars.  Our GDP last year was $NZ 186 billion lol

You guys oughta come live down here in NZ.  It's nice

Most recent stats show we have enough extra generation capacity - small hydro/wind/geothermal - already in the consent stages to cover the electricity requirement of a national fleet of electric vehicles, even if the uptake is faster than is anticipated

A fascinating topic IMHO

Cheers

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »
I've never heard a bad thing about New Zealand.  I sailed from Vancouver, British Columbia to Hawaii on the Capt. Cook replica Endeavour that was built in New Zealand.  We had regular crew made up of British, Australian and New Zealanders.  I thanked God most mornings the cook was from New Zealand.  Without her we just might of Captain Bly-ed the Captain from Australia.  The Cat V8 diesel on the 20th century deck was pretty handy too.  21 days in a ship that had a broader bow than stern.

Oops; It's positioned really handy to the 40th latitude.  I'm very hooked on the tropical temperatures especially during the Winter if there still is such a thing. 

Of course now that the lesson has been set I assume the wind turbine people will just walk away from the structures as the oil people have their rigs.  The world will be powered by dilithium crystals by that time.   ;)
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
Yup!  He's Aussie.

So glort.  What do you think of the 80 billion British gubberment pounds to clean up after the oil industry again?  Is this a subsity or ?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »

I think people like you who are forever bitching about oil and coal but then use the products and convenience they provide are complete and utter hypocrites.

I`m with Glort on this one, I`m tired of being lectured about the planet destroying effects of oil/coal/gas/nuclear. We all rely on these products to heat our homes, feed us, cloth us and transport us.

If anyone here wants to go back to a pre-industrial  existence please feel free to do so, you won`t be able to post on this forum or any other because computers, smart phones and internet access all depend on fossil fuels.

I think we should all be concentrating on reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and other finite resources and finding better ways to fuel our extravagant lifestyles. The very least we should be doing is trying to cut back on our consumption and the waste we produce.

As for the cost of decommissioning oil rigs and etc. if it costs the British tax payer £80 billion who cares. The government in the UK have had far more than that in tax revenues  from taxing fossil fuels. Sadly they squandered that money on everything except finding alternative energy solutions.  I am so glad I no longer live on that overcrowded and badly governed island. When I left the national debt had risen to close to £200,000 for every man, woman and child. I guess the government will just have to borrow another ship full of money from the Chinese. The next generations will inherit the debt and suffer the consequences.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
I wonder who has the largest collection of solar panels in the LEF membership?   ::)

Are government mandates always wrong.  Like polio vaccinations?  Leaded gasoline?  Ethanol gasoline - Oops.

Did you know that Neanderthals actually had larger brains than modern man? 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
Are government mandates always wrong.

Pretty much, yes.

Yeah, but they never invented the V8. So that's 1-0 to modern man, I think you'll find.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
That's two for AdeV.

Gossip has it that we screwed them out of existence.  Biblically speaking.

I had a revelation while pulling weeds this morning and it was inspired by ajaffa1's post.

I have become somewhat of a bore on anti petroleum and coal energy production.  I apologize.  This is my favorite forum and I will be getting back to basics from now on no matter how much I'm baited (see, I'm the victim).  Thanks for your time and energy.

Aloha
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:58:58 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

guest23837

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
I wonder who has the largest collection of solar panels in the LEF membership?   ::)

Are government mandates always wrong.  Like polio vaccinations?  Leaded gasoline?  Ethanol gasoline - Oops.

Some of the people I encounter seem to have very small brains indeed. I went to cut my mates grass this evening he had a plastic barrel cut lengthwise and he was using it to burn rubbish. I pointed out it was plastic and he said I know but I have a saucepan full of water if it catches fire. Darwin award candidate

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:53:41 PM »
Hi Guys, The point I was trying to make about green issues is this: we can`t put the fossil fuel genie back in the bottle. What we can do is be more efficient in how we use it.  By all means install solar panels and other home generation systems and for all our sakes insulate your home.

If you wish to reduce your carbon footprint, good for you and good for the planet but most of all good for the hip pocket. I for one resent the amount of money I have to pay for electricity/petrol/diesel, anything I can do to reduce this expenditure is good for me, good for the environment and flicks the bird to greedy corporations/governments.

Being as tight arsed as possible is the one thing we can all do to protect the future. Restoring an old engine, which will last you a lifetime, has got to be better than buying a brand new modern piece of crap that will only last until the guarantee expires.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Well done Mike90045, life isn`t about how much you have, it`s about working out how much you need. If you can`t run the welder at the same time as the washing machine, you don`t need more power you just need to scheduled you washing/welding better.

Bob

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:12 AM »
Off-grid also
2115 Watts PV
When there is sun, it is ample, no sun, no power.
Have to run the listeroid about 275 hours a year for charging.
No sun in the Canadian Pacific coastal winter.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
I always wondered about people like Al Gore and Leo flying all around the world on their private jets to bitch about global warming and the dreaded fossil fuels. Dear Al lives in a huge mansion that eats electricity like candy and Leo is in another part of the world every week or on a diesel guzzling yacht . The Bull*hit "i buy carbon offsets" is just another way of them saying we are better than you and we can burn as much as we want because we are rich. Gore has made a lot of money off his hypocrisy. With today's technology there is no need to fly across the planet in a private jet to have a climate summit why not just teleconference?   
I doubt many of us poor peasants here have ever traveled on a private jet. just my 2 cents.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »

Look up the home insulation debacle that killed people,

Say what? I'm intrigued - how does home insulation kill people (unless it wasn't fire retardant insulation & went into so-called "to code" houses with lethal wiring)?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.