Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changes to Energy Generation  (Read 932 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Changes to Energy Generation
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
I wonder who has the largest collection of solar panels in the LEF membership?   ::)

Just as a matter of interest Casey, How many KW of panels do you have on your roof?
I assume you are completely off grid and not using any of that Diesel generated grid power you have there.
I admire the courage of your convictions in staying off that given your adamant position about the need to eliminate fossil fuel and planet stewardship and thus you would not condone it by using it yourself or being connected to it.
I would be very interested to hear more about your off grid setup actually. Would certainly be helpful to be in such a warm and sunny climate. 

I think the point of your question and its sarcasm is undermined by the flaw in it's basis.
It's not about how much you have, it's what you do with it.

I think I have about 4x the amount of panels leaning up against my shed unused now as what Bruce has in total.  He uses NO grid power but has what I would consider a very small amount of panels. Bruce is smart and started from scratch not like the rest of us who are just trying to offset bad design best we can. I could supply my own needs and give back some to the grid as well.... if I were allowed.

But hey, I'm all for pissing contests so doing stocktake of what I have right now, the number is 18.3 KW of panels over 4 arrays. And I do not have gas or any other fuel heating water cooking or anything else that emits any Co2 or other output.  I hear people going on about how much power I use and how their own use is so much less but then you find out they cook and heat water with gas and use a wood fire for space heating. I'm all electric and everything I use and more is offset 75% of the year but what I generate from my panels. No emissions at all.

Still have 6 weeks to go yet for this quarter, not so far behind I couldn't  catch up and be 100% self generating.

How much have you invested in solar and got on your roof?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
off-grid  & 5Kw of PV

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Well done Mike90045, life isn`t about how much you have, it`s about working out how much you need. If you can`t run the welder at the same time as the washing machine, you don`t need more power you just need to scheduled you washing/welding better.

Bob

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:12 AM »
Off-grid also
2115 Watts PV
When there is sun, it is ample, no sun, no power.
Have to run the listeroid about 275 hours a year for charging.
No sun in the Canadian Pacific coastal winter.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
I always wondered about people like Al Gore and Leo flying all around the world on their private jets to bitch about global warming and the dreaded fossil fuels. Dear Al lives in a huge mansion that eats electricity like candy and Leo is in another part of the world every week or on a diesel guzzling yacht . The Bull*hit "i buy carbon offsets" is just another way of them saying we are better than you and we can burn as much as we want because we are rich. Gore has made a lot of money off his hypocrisy. With today's technology there is no need to fly across the planet in a private jet to have a climate summit why not just teleconference?   
I doubt many of us poor peasants here have ever traveled on a private jet. just my 2 cents.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »

Gore has made a lot of money off his hypocrisy.

Gore has pulled off the biggest scam in the history of mankind. It's the most widespread, the most profitable and the most hypocritical scam to suck in more people than any other before it. Hard to imagine anything in the future ever being a bigger con. I just hope to live long enough to see when people make the realisation that they were so succeed in and what the real cost financially and to the planet really was.
I spose it will be like every fad. Huge because so many people are into it at the time but 5 years later, you can't find a single person that will admit to being involved.

Nothing like taking a noble cause and screwing it for all it's worth and 10 times more.
Just ask the safety industry.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »

Look up the home insulation debacle that killed people,

Say what? I'm intrigued - how does home insulation kill people (unless it wasn't fire retardant insulation & went into so-called "to code" houses with lethal wiring)?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »
The Australian government decided to encourage people to insulate their loft spaces by offering large subsidies. A lot of dodgy insulation companies sprung up overnight. They used untrained/unskilled young people to do the work. Some died from electrocution from the wiring in the lofts others from heat stroke. You wouldn`t want to be in Aussie loft in mid summer!

All very green I am sure but not well thought out, implemented or supervised. Another fine example of a well meaning but stupid government involving themselves in something they know nothing about, at the tax payers expense.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 01:42:10 AM »

There were also  quite a few people that died in house fires when Halogen Downlights were covered with insulation. They got hot ( as they certainly do) and started fires in the ceiling.  There were a lot of cases of this happening and from memory over 20 deaths were attributed to these fires.
Subsequently wire cages had to be installed over the llights which kept the insulation back from them and the transformers were not to be covered either.

I put these lights in my old place 20 Years ago and saw how hot they and the trannys ran and made sure the trannys were ventilated and the lights had nothing near them. Was just common sense.... so I thought.

There were also a few people that died from falling off the roofs while doing the work and some suffered asthma attacks or breathing problems using that blown in stuff which I believe is quite strictly regulated now for a number of reasons.
 I wouldn't get neat that rubbish If I had on a diving suit and air tanks  let alone with nothing and I sure wouldn't have it in my roof.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »
There are lots of different blown fiber insulation but not much is a bad for human health as good old fashioned phenol-formaldehyde fiberglass bats. Still being used in the US and present in the bulk of US housing. I think we're one of the last industrialized nations to allow phenol-formaldehyde in interior furnishings as well. 

There is no perfect insulation, but the formaldehyde free batts and blown glass fiber (proprietary silicone compounds and mineral oils added to faclitate bagging are lesser than some evils though still require respirators for handling.  For new construction if I had to have forced air duct work in the attic, I would consider air-crete (foamed magnesium oxide cement) or doing sprayed foam envelope type insulation so all the duct work is INSIDE the insulation envelope. Good reports on performance of those homes here; duct losses are much more than people realize.  Leaks in the return duct are common and a serious air quality hazzard; especially with blown cellulose, but in any case not nearly enough attention is given to keeping ducts sealed and clean inside as well.

It's very common here in AZ for contractors to use flex duct for heat pump systems- wire-plastic inside and plastic outside liner and phenol-formaldehyde bonded fiberglass inside.  It installs fast, but the ducts can't be cleaned, the 3/4 inch of fiberglass is inadequate, and the formaldehyde is strongly present in the new home air.  Perfect for creating kids with a lifetime of asthma, allergy, and chronic (autoimmune) illness.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:03 AM »

Fibreglass batts are still the main insulation type here but I don't know what their composition is.
The blown insulation tends to be cellulose. I believe they changed that to some composition that now will not burn or self sustain.

I was talking to Aircon mate the other week about the ducting. He said that while it used to shed a lot of heat or cool, it's all made to standards now and the heat loss is is next to nothing.  Feeling the ducting in my own roof, I could not detect a difference by hand between ambient temps of the beams etc and the outside of the ducting. I also looked at all the joints and was well satisfied they were all very good.

I spose a lot comes down to the standards in place and how through the installer doing the job is in the first place.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 06:35:48 AM »
A lot depends on the General Contractor and the caliber of his subcontractors. No amount of regulations mean much when unskilled or careless people are doing the work.  Arizona is notorious for some of the worst construction quality imaginable, and it's worse here in the rural areas. 

Good that your duct work was done well, Glort. Be glad you have some standards.

I'm not a fan of blown cellulose; the borate and chemically treated reprocessed newsprint has caused a lot of illness- usually when return ducts have cracks or leaks and borate/newsprint dust gets in the air.  It hasn't been a product well tolerated by people with chemical injuries.

Air Crete is an interesting product but our regional licensee botched so many jobs that he's only been used on one disabled housing project I was volunteering on.  I had to go over his head to the licensing company to get him to do the job right; magnesium oxide cement is VERY fussy about temperature.  He'd been sued and lost several times, but yet he still was about to blow aircrete in an unheated home in the winter, at 4000 feet elevation with no front door. If the cement to water to phosphate mix is wrong or the temperature too hot or cold, you get either goopy soup that stays wet and ruins all the drywall, or dusty powder that gets everywhere and doesn't insulate.

I helped have some specially made pure glass fiber insulation made for homes for people with chemical injuries.   Alas, both companies said never again, as without the silicones and mineral oil, their bagging equipment wouldn't work and it all had to be bagged by hand.  One burp of their equipment made an entire 50 foot semi trailer full.
Two truck loads  of the compressed bales did do a half dozen homes.