Puppeteer

Author Topic: Phantom Energy Use  (Read 4449 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Phantom Energy Use
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
Interesting about the Maytag wringers and their add on features.

Back on topic- all of the common name brand top loading, basic model washers in the US have both substantial phantom energy use, and nasty EMI generation even when ''off''.  None would pass the FCC test for conducted EMI required for a computer. 

You should add a switched outlet or inline switch of some sort to the damn thing off when not in use.

guest23837

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
Saving $20 a quarter may not seem like a whole lot but try going into any shop to buy anything and be $20 short and you wont get it. Many of us don't have solar or good sunshine. The attached photo is what I see out of my kitchen window it's not my hedge so I'm not allowed to cut it I have to have a light on in the kitchen for most of the year. Quick calculation says that if 125 million homes drops $20 a quarter thats a billion, considerable amount of money AND a considerable amount of fuel wasted to generate a billions worth of electricity. Of course there are many multiples of that wasted it's using up valuable resources and making a small amount of rich people richer. Ireland still uses peat and coal to generate electricity thereby ruining bogland and making a contribution to global warming. We have wind farms here, they are subsidized by a green levy on electricity bills of 13.5% most of what they generate is sent to the UK via an interconnector so they can reduce their emissions.
My missus, she that turns off appliances, always fills the kettle and boils 2L of water to make one cup of tea.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
I'll get on the kill-a-watt project tomorrow.  I unplugged the coffee maker today.  I haven't made a cup of coffee in a month.  I've never set the clock on it and have put a solar sidewalk light up in the kitchen skylight for those midnight runs to the water station.

My wife just bought a cheap toaster oven.  I complained because it is all twisted knob timers.  I'm going to stop complaining about it not being digital.  No, I'm not retracting my original complaints.  50 plus years of marriage has taught me that.

This is the same person that turns the light in the utility room so the electric dryer doesn't feel like it's an energy hog.  The LED lighting devices that are mostly shaped like bulbs has taken some of the sting out of that and similar programs.

The less energy I use the less money I contribute to the state sheltered electrical company.  Losing less is almost like winning war.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
Since I'm off grid and lived comfortably for over 10 years with just 875 watts of PV, I found that good old fashioned 300 watt immersion heaters are the ultimate in tea making.  Damn near perfect efficiency, fast, and cheap.

I still use the kettle for a group.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Electric-Immersion-Compact-Portable/dp/B079YZ4RC7/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529847084&sr=8-4&keywords=immersion+heater

My total power use in winter is similar to Glort's mild Sidney climate. I have roughly 20 KWH/day of solar hot water (4x32 feet flat plate collector). That's sufficient for my much colder winter climate due to small house and super insulation.  I also have $25/mo for propane (refrigerator, cooking, heat backup) and $15/mo for diesel (compressed air and generator). I'll be eliminating the latter via my new low EMI inverter this summer.

I had the advantage for starting from scratch for an off grid design, and low fixed income was a strong motivator since future energy costs seemed likely to climb. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:18 AM »
I just timed it- from 72F start to boil, 300 ml (1.25 cup) took 3.25 minutes.  My daytime float voltage is 139V so it's not really a 300 watt, it's more like 350.  I don't bother to down regulate it since I haven't had any trouble with the higher voltage.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:21 AM »
When building our house, the plug for the home entertainment system was put on a wall switch. One switch and the whole system shuts down and no worries about the smart TV listening to either.  :o
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
That's the smart way to do it, Tom.  New washers need swtiched power also, the damn things are ON and generating a lot of EMI on the home wiring 24/7 otherwise.  Same with the damn clock/timer oven controls on electric ranges- phantom load, massive EMI, easily solved with a switch added to turn it off unless the oven is actually being used.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:44 PM »
Hey BruceM, I hate those timers on electric cookers. Every time I switch the cooker off at the wall I have to reprogram the clock or it just sits there flashing at me. Nine times out of ten I get it wrong and the oven won`t turn on. Once I do get it going, as often as not, the timer turns it off half way through cooking! Aaaagh!

Bob