Author Topic: ST1 start o matic for sale  (Read 651 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile

glort

• View Profile
Re: ST1 start o matic for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »

BOB! Bugger 'ya!   :laugh:

I'm watching that one and now you tipped everyone off.  It's like 10 min away from me.  Was discussing it with a mate last night, shall I or shant I?
even though he goes on about my scrap metal obsession, he reckoned I should get it.
I'd prefer it was water cooled but I was also thinking I could probably swap over the CS onto the genny and use the controller on a couple of different solenoids if need be. It would be a good candidate with the ' Roid for my intended Co gen setup.

Collectable to have a start O I guess even if it was of limited usefulness these days.  All my LED lights probably wouldn't even trigger the thing.  I don't know if it's working and if not, how difficult it may be to fix. At least the manuals are with it.
I was wondering if I did get it, if anyone here would be interested if I scanned them and put up the PDF's.  Maybe they are well documented already?

I have lined up another set set of panels and inverter and rubbish to get tomorrow. I was going to replace some panels I have with these ones and then sell off the others.  I bought these and the others cheap so I should make good money on them.
Better do it quick so I can justify the new toy to the Mrs.  then again, not me that wants to spend $5K fitting out the walk in dressing room so I guess only fair I get something I want as well!   ;D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag, for what it`s worth I won`t be bidding on it.

The Brush generator head on that has two bearings so it could easily be utilized with a roid. It has two slip rings for AC generation and brushes and a commutator ring for starting. I believe the ST1 ran a 12 volt starter setup (my ST2 runs 24 volt).

Air cooled works very well, the flywheel acts as a blower driving cool air through the vanes on the cylinder block. You can get a shroud that allows you to vent the hot air outside.

I would never use the SOM facility with modern electrics. I have rigged a single light bulb to start mine, I then throw the cross over switch once she`s up to speed.

Most of the relays and solenoids can be rewound and the electronics rebuilt. Publishing the manuals would be a great service. Give me a shout if you buy it.

Good luck,

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »

Well Now You just went and made it sound even more appealing!   :laugh:

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »
It's a thing of beauty!
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »

I contacted the seller of the engine a few days back asking if everything was working or what faults if any.
He didn't get back to me despite re listing the thing again.  That makes me pretty sus.

I don't want to be frigging round trying to fix something else I bought and having to try and chase  parts with engines or ancient generators particularly one like a start o and it's vintage workings.

I have messaged the guy again under a different account but still no response.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if he drops the price or answers my questions.
If I don't hear from him I can only take that to be the same as the " untested" description which on fleabay means, it's  Flucked.

On a positive and disappointing note with this engine, made some significant steps today in getting my induction generator going again.
Got 2 engines set up to drive it now, a 5 Hp China Horizontal and a  6Hp China vertical.
Not sure which is the most noisy.  I would really like a horizontal water cooled though I'm not sure how much quieter they are than the aircooledversions.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
Hey Glort, I saw that the vendor had re-posted the SOM. If you were looking for a project, to keep you busy, that would probably be it. If your looking for an off the shelf generator buy a Honda. Apologies for the blasphemy. :laugh:

My ST2 took hundreds of hours to rebuild by the time I had rewound all the relay and solenoid coils. Dieselgman supplied all the mechanical spares at a reasonable price, despite having to ship them half way around the world.

Very glad I did it but it`s not for the faint hearted or anyone with a job.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »

My ST2 took hundreds of hours to rebuild by the time I had rewound all the relay and solenoid coils. Dieselgman supplied all the mechanical spares at a reasonable price, despite having to ship them half way around the world.

And that's the bit that scares me.

Don't mind 10 hours here and there like I'm doing with My IMAG but not looking for something that will take months.  Also not looking to be spending hours chasing oddball rare parts from across the world that will blow the price of the thing out.  Rather just Fix the CS ( or buy a good one) and get a gen head and hook them up.

This is only a toy after all, I do have to keep some sort reality about it!   Of course if it was the Perfect toy, then I wouldn't give a damn and cost for one thing would go out the window!

Honda's Make fine generators but my preference would still be a water cooled China horizontal.  Found some last night  but $5700 is a bit far into that unrealistic / non justifyable realm a bit.  I'd rather Build the boat I have been thinking of for years or increase the budget for an excavator.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
$5700!

Good grief.

You could have a brand new 12hp delivered air-mail to your door for AU$2000 - most of that is the shipping price!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Factory-Direct-Supply-WSE-S195-Single-Cylinder-12hp-Horizontal-Water-Cooled-4-stroke-Diesel-Engine-Applied/2997036_32815927803.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.2.7e835e59Fcjafn (not sure if the link will produce AU location & pricing)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 07:34:33 AM »

I was looking at engine genny combos. Alli have them for $4500. Still over the top. one seller does say to contact for sea shipping price. Maybe everything else is airfright which would explain the stupid delivery charges.

Meanwhile, back in Oz,The seller of the SOM got back to me and said the engine was removed from a property he bought and condition is unknown.
I stand by my original position of  " It's stuffed" .  I asked if he was negotiable on price and he said he's going to give it another run on fleabay then may get back to me.

Another Lister engine has come up for sale.  It's an LT1 and described as a good runner.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lister-Petter-Diesel/132679874831?hash=item1ee456390f:g:syEAAOSwmypbMz8h

Why can't there be any original 8hp CS's for sale near me at a fair price?  Or a China horizontal will do.
And a 2 bearing gen head.
That would make things seem a lot brighter.