Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister generator, identify generator and resistors  (Read 2415 times)

arveasheim

• View Profile
Lister generator, identify generator and resistors
« on: May 23, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »
I've got a boat, a very nice boat that I want to put in order. In this boat there is a generator.  It is a Lister BS 649 and the generator is a Crompton and Parkinson 3 phase 7,5 (or maybe 6) kVA.

The generator runs at about 1000 rpm when it should be 1500. I do, however, have 230V and when I increase the rpm, the voltage rises. I opened the generator and found a broken resistor together wit som rectifier bridges, could that be the regulator? I will try to upload images of these items.

The boat is very well documented, but I only have wiring diagram of the 12V circuit, the rest is gone. The boat was built in -59 and maybe this have been in the boat from the beginning.

Questions:
How many ohms and watts is this resistor?
Is the resistor a part of the regulator?
Does wiring diagrams exist?

Is BS 649 a proper type number?

Images here: https://imgur.com/a/EbETPQr

Regards, Arve Asheim

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister generator, identify generator and resistors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:02:10 AM »
Hi Arve, the engine you have there is a Lister ST2 air cooled diesel. It should indeed normally run at 1500 RPM but it may have been throttled back to match the generator head. You say that it produces 240volts it would be helpful to know if that is at 50HZ .
My ST2 generator needs to run at 1500RPM to give me 240 volts at 50HZ. I believe that American units run at 1600RPM to give them 60HZ output. That said it could be that because it is a three phase generator it needs to be run slower.
The expert on these old generators is Lucien Nunes, you can find him on the stationary engine forum.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Bob

arveasheim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
No, it does not produce 50Hz, I am actually able to see the blinking in my fluorescent bulbs, so it is around 30, I think.

Thank you for the information, now I need information on the generator and if it's voltage is regulated and I will also try to replace the resistor that is not working.

Arve

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Hi Arve, I had another look at your photos, the vital piece of information is on the plaque on the generator head where it says RPM 1500. I have no idea how they managed to get 240 volts out of it at only 1000rpm. I suspect that they may have wired across 2 legs of the three phase output. Do not mess with this unless you are competent, three phase will kill you as soon as look at you.

Another observation from the photos is that your unit is designed to have a ducted air system to vent hot air to atmosphere.
Without this it will very quickly become very hot in the generator room.

Bob.