Author Topic: generator help...  (Read 2538 times)

quinnbrian

• View Profile
generator help...
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:28:05 AM »
Two days ago my ST-10 gen head went down...stopped making power. Took the top cover off the control box ( houses the AVR and diodes)...and found a new mouse nest!!but I was too late, AVR is NFG, so I have a 5500 watt gas unit the I uses as a back up...I've never used it on the house, just in the field, to run saws, drills etc.
The problem I'm having is that the inverter will not acknowledge the genset, with out the neutral being hooked up...the gens out put is 220 volts .
The Lister/ST10 220 volt genset only need the 2 power wires hooked up and inverter pick up right away. Does anyone know why...only going to use it for a couple of day, I've got a Stanford head that is going back on the Lister, just waiting for a new coupler and sprocket.
Cheers
Brian

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: generator help...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Do ST-10 have an AVR ?  My ST-5 just has the harmonic winding, diode bridge, and a multi-tap resistor

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
Hey Quinnbrian, and welcome. I had a similar problem with Honda generator set last week. Serviced the engine, flushed the fuel system and sump, removed ants nest from air filter and etc. Got her running, put my volt meter across the output not a thing. Plugged in an electric power tool ran sweet as checked again with volt meter, still nothing. tried the volt meter with the power tool running, bingo 240 volts. No idea why but recommend you try connecting a load to the generator and then couple to your inverter, probably doesn`t need to be a big load. try a couple of 100 watt light bulbs.

Bob

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:15:48 AM »
Thanks guys , I will try the small load to see if the inverter will connect....never thought of it! Great idea.
Cheers
Brian

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 03:23:45 AM »
Do ST-10 have an AVR ?  My ST-5 just has the harmonic winding, diode bridge, and a multi-tap resistor

Some of the do...I think a lot of them where add after importing them...or were an after thought at some point. They will run and make power , with out one (an AVR) but the power unit has to setup better...rpm's have to set at the 1800 rpm and maintain +- on the money. With the AVR  they are more forgiving on the rpm side of things .
I just got my ST-10 back up and running....new bearings,AVR, recitifer, slip ring ( the slip ring wiring is what broke..off the slip ring , grounded out one side )and bushes and holder.
She like new...should be good for another 5-6 years lol. And I did have to reflash the field/rotor windings.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »
Well done Brian, glad to hear she is as good as new and you are back to generating.

Bob