Author Topic: oil burners  (Read 7261 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: oil burners
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
I came up with a simple and very cheap solution to the remote hot water heater problem. 
I added a ball valve in the bath which connects the hot water to the cold line.  A button next to it turns on a circ pump in the hot water line. You open the ball valve and push the button while touching the copper pipe.  When the pipe gets hot, let go and close the ball valve.  So almost no water wasted waiting for hot water from the remote hot water system 60 feet away, and no extra copper line or wasted energy circulating hot water when I don't need it.

I had a neighbor who did a circ pump loop for instant hot water at any tap for his new house.  The pipes were insulated in foam sleeve under his slab.  He ran it and was very happy until the monthly power bill came...several hundred dollars extra per month (!) for that feature due to heat loss to the earth from the puny foam sleeve.

Heat from the CS is limited, unless you are running it continuously at a good load.   Intake noise is very modest if the intake timing is right or slightly delayed. Valve train clatter is the biggest source.  Links to some recordings on my neighbor's propane converted CS show the earth muffler sound and valve clatter.  No difference between diesel and propane on valve clatter and other engine noise (including intake) compared to my 6/1 on diesel. 

Intro video:
https://youtu.be/ol39s0ngv2U

Starting the engine:
https://youtu.be/xky2tpeHwJY

Earth Muffler:
https://youtu.be/sMu5VRA8GLM

It is always good to simplify your plans, be happy for meeting 75% of your goals with a simpler, cheaper solution. Hobby projects, of course, don't count.  :)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »
Hey Guys, thanks for the good advice, I am trying to rein in useless ambitions and concentrate my efforts into whatever will produce the best return.

Bromiliad house must come first, she who must be obeyed has spoken! Second should be the new dam, thankfully all I have to do for that is find a reasonably competent, not too pricey, excavator operator. Third must be the extension/alterations to my shed, which will include more solar generating capacity. Interestingly while exploring the options on solar inverters I discovered that there are three phase units available. This would allow me run 3 phase equipment in the shed. :)

Glort I`m not sure how your solar setup and metering works but are you back feeding all of your three phases or just the one? If you are only feeding one leg then a three phase grid tied inverter might be the go.

I also checked out the maximum DC input for my existing Sunnyboy inverter. It maxes out at 600 volt DC, so I could connect up the CS to a three phase alternator and rectify it to give me 580 volt DC. This would also give me three phase in the shed after dark.

Just to be clear I have no intention to cark it any time soon, if I can possibly help it. My wife is ten years younger than me so I have to assume that she will outlive by some considerable margin. I think it is only right that I take this into consideration in any plans, ambitions I may have.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »
Rectifying 3 phase 415 volt AC gives around 580 volt DC which is close to the maximum for my grid tied inverter. Probably not a good idea to use any generator to back feed the grid. Much better to get more panels and maybe another inverter. I will do a little more research into the 3 phase inverters and get back to you.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
....while exploring the options on solar inverters I discovered that there are three phase units available. This would allow me run 3 phase equipment in the shed. :).......

Only of you already have 3ph power there now.   All 3 phases have to be in spec for 5 minutes before the inverter will start up.