Author Topic: Newbie in search of first engine  (Read 5132 times)

Boxelder

• View Profile
Newbie in search of first engine
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Greetings, all!

I'm a recently infected Lister newb wanting to find my first engine.  I was in contact with Sid here in Atlanta regarding his posts that he was ready to sell his Listeroid and Petteroid.  As it turns out, after meeting the man I understand that he has recently obtained a fresh lease on life, and only a monster would ask him to give up his man toys when he clearly doesn't want to or need to at this particular moment in his life.

I should add that I'm in contact with 38ac, and if no engines are available I'll be buying one from him and having him work his magic on it.  Not afraid to pay a man with his skill set demonstrated so aptly on this forum.  But naturally, being a gearhead myself I would love to take a swing at fixing one up myself and so I'm also at odds with myself on this conflict of interest.

So, I'm looking for either a running engine or a non-running collection of parts.  I'm perhaps more mechanically skilled than our national average, but by no means am I a rocket scientist.  Avid home gamer with a nice collection of machine shop toys including lathes and mills, and even an old Steptoe-Western 24" shaper.  An engine I could get back into shape using those tools would be right up my alley.

Proximity to Atlanta, GA has to be considered, although for a true original Lister (or even one Butch has worked his magic on) my range for a road trip pretty much includes all of North America.  Yeah, the bug bit me pretty hard all right.

Also, I have sold this idea of an indestructible engine with excellent fuel economy on the basis of promising an emergency backup generator for the house, so if it would have a generator head setup included well hey, that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to spending time on this forum.  It seems like you have a great group of users who focus on helping each other rather than trying to scare off the new guys.  Well done to you.

As a closing thought, I'm also utterly fascinated by the Chinese horizontal diesels in a morbid way.  They're just so industrial raw and beefy, at some point I'd like to possess one of those as well and make a genset out of it.  If anyone needs to find a new home for theirs, please let me know.  I am already in touch with Tom up in New England about a brand-new 1115, but $1500 might be a touch high for me to swing by my wife.  I'm sure you all understand that predicament.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Newbie in search of first engine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
Welcome

Nice first post!

$1500 might buy you and the Mrs a budget trip to the UK to sort out an original CS..............

Just a thought!

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
Welcome Boxelder, Original Lister engines are becoming hard to find but they do come up on fleabay and other online auction sites, it took me two years to find the one I have in Australia. The EPA rules have made it illegal to import the Indian clones into the US. It is however still legal to import an engine that was built before the emission rules came into force.

I believe AdeV shipped a few to the US a while back, he might be able to enlighten you as to the costs and hazards.
Dieselgman had quite a collection of original CS engines he was rebuilding but I think most of those were for his clients.

Please remember that Lister made a huge amount of different engines and generator sets Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene. The Startomatic series would self start on detecting a load. My first engine was an ST2 Startomatic which took me two years to rebuild, It now provides backup power to my property and I wouldn't part with it for any amount of money.

Keep your ears and eyes open, maybe attend a couple of farm closing down auctions, something will come up.

Good luck, have fun getting dirty and keep us posted,
Bob

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:37:48 AM »
Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the advice.  I've been to England twice and have thoroughly enjoyed my time there.  Next time I go I will definitely be looking for original Lister iron.  Any recommendations about where to begin the search?  The import game is another matter, probably best handled after actually acquiring the prize.

Start-O-Matic.  Yeah, I'd pretty much kill for one of those.  But who on this forum wouldn't?  Has anyone "rolled their own"?  I've done quite a bit of searching on the subject, but haven't found the magic thread or video yet.

Australia is also beautiful and fascinating.  We were there in 2015, flew into Sydney and spent 4 days there before getting on a cruise ship and hitting Melbourne and Tasmania before crossing over to New Zealand.  If my wife and I didn't still have to work, I think we would have preferred to just stay in NZ for the remainder of our days.  Amazing place.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »
Hi Boxelder, I vaguely remember some fellow in Ireland had a whole heap of Lister SOMs for sale. All had next to no hours on them, think they were used as backup generators for police stations.

Someone with a better memory than mine will know.

Bob

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Well Bob, if you point me in the right direction to pick up the scent, I'm tenacious like a bloodhound when searching for hidden treasures. And I'm not afraid of the import game as there's always a loophole to be found if you have the patience for the processing time.

Let me know, and I'll get right on it! I'd buy up an entire container full if I could only find them. But I gotta tell you it smells too good to be true...

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:08:03 PM »
Hello Boxelder
You can get a Listeroid "air compressor" in Eastern Canada at http://www.justliveoffgrid.com/
The conversion parts to diesel engine can be had from same source.
I have dealt with Jim Calder many times in the past as a parts supplier.......a good guy.
I do have a start-o-matic set-up (Fatboy generator and controls) that is not being used, may be interested in selling it.
Am using the engine to drive an Utterpower PMG.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Thanks Hugh, I'll check out that site.  The Canada route has registered in my mind, but I honestly hadn't researched it thoroughly.  I'll be doing that over the next few days.  And of course I'm always open to checking out someone's kit.

It seems as though in the UK they're just laying around the countryside waiting for someone to scoop them up and give them a good home.  Sigh.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-C-S-8-1-Startomatic-generator/292581305569?hash=item441f346ce1:g:~C0AAOSwukVbCuF6

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »
@Boxelder
The 6/1 starto that I have was purchased from another forum member from Denmark. He has not been active for a while here though.
The shipping was not that big of a deal, but a customs inspector at the East Coast POE decided it was dirty and I had to pay a bunch to have it "cleaned" (dockyard mafia) before it would clear and be sent onward. The SOBs even confiscated the 2 Danish beers that were in the control panel! Other than the "cleaning" the whole deal was not that expensive, considering that they seem to be a rare commodity in North America. It did help with shipping that the guy I got it from was head of the materials handling end of a large Danish corp.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »
There's a few start-o-matics for sale in Ireland (North and South) for not too big money not CS engines I assume something like Lister SR1 engines. There was a guy has 6 Lister standby generators for £500 each I think they sold quickly.

www.donedeal.ie

https://www.gumtree.com/all/northern-ireland

I sold an Audi engine to a guy in New York state a couple of years ago it was shipped from Ireland using groupage for quite small money by this company, they handled all the paperwork I just needed a euro pallet and a treated hardwood case

http://www.moriartytransport.com

https://www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&urgent_filter=false&sort=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false&search_category=all&q=lister&tq=%7B"i"%3A"lister"%2C"s"%3A"lister"%2C"p"%3A0%2C"t"%3A7%7D&search_location=Northern+Ireland

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
Hi Boxelder, I did a quick search and found the post I was thinking of. Johndoh posted a link to a gumtree ad in Lister Generators. Guy in Ireland was selling ten brand new Lister SOMs, look like SR1 or ST1 with 3.75KW heads. I expect they sold very quickly.

Bob.

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »
Doing some quick searching in Ireland and England is eye-opening.  It'd seem like the prudent thing to do if you really want an original condition SOM is to wait for your perfect machine to pop up on one of their sites, then buy and make a nice vacation out of it to arrange shipping in person.

There's just so many different directions to go.  I've had several folks contact me already offering some of their own original Lister excess project motors (thanks guys!), but to be honest I think I maybe should do my first learning how to fix on one of the clones so that if I mess something up (which is nearly inevitable) it won't be on something irreplaceable.  Then if that goes well start the search process anew for my "forever motor".

What do you think, gentlemen (and ladies if there are any)?  What's the best route for someone wanting to learn how to fix these things up?  Dive in head first, or just dip the toes in the pond until I learn how to swim?

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Hi B,

Jump into one of the worst clones you can find that have readily available spares, strip it down and start from the roots up getting it to "decent" spec, fit and finish - Then fire it up and learn some more .... by the time you have done this you will either be cured of your developing diesel habit/addiction or you will be a confirmed addict and drive 1000's of miles just to go "look" at a prospective unit.....

Cheers
Ed

(Hi my name is Ed, I am an addict and it has been 13 seconds since I last though of diesel...no, 3 seconds, no 1 second....buggrit.... I am beyond saving....)

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
Ha! That's some solid advice there, Ed.  I'm afraid I've already done more than one thousand-mile journey to check out a machine - in this case it was a Hardinge HLV lathe which turned out to be a bit of a dud, but I brought it home anyway.  If it's me or the scrap heap, well I guess I'm a sucker for a hard case.  But as it turns out it's worth more in parts vs. a restoration.

I also tend to dive into new obsessions head first, and it's bitten me more than once...

Lastly, I think I might be driving Butch nuts with all my questions via email, but he's been more than kind in responding.  Thanks Butch!

Again, great group of diesel addicts you guys are curating here.  It's absolutely fun to read about all the adventures.

Edit - I should probably admit that I'm a long-suffering diesel addict.  It all began back on the dairy farm in the Northwoods of Wisconsin where I spent countless hours driving the old Farmall H and M (not diesels, of course...) and IH 966 and 1086.  There was also the John Deere 350 dozer with what I swear to god was a JD clone of a Yanmar 3-cylinder with the "Yanmar Hammer" in full bloom.  As they say you can take a boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy, so now I no longer live on a farm but I do have 20 acres of my own including three diesel tractors and a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with an LBZ Duramax diesel.  My wife is overly kind to me regarding my little obsessions, and reminds me that my toys will always be cheaper than trading her in on a younger model.

With all this said, this new Lister/Laidong obsession is really just part of my genetic disorder which attracts me to all things diesel.  Not that it causes me to suffer in the least.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:07:56 PM by Boxelder »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
Hi Boxelder, sounds like you may have got the bug bad. Appreciating a 10 second count down to internal fire is a worry. There are very good therapists that can probably help but then again you could just drool over this like the rest of us https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/trafalgar/other-antiques-art-collectables/vintage-4hp-globe-white-gasoline-engine-stationary-engine/1185796731

Sweet dreams

Bob