Puppeteer

Author Topic: A Little Rant about eBay parts  (Read 1082 times)

Johndoh

• View Profile
A Little Rant about eBay parts
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
So I ordered a new AVR for my little generator seller Location London UK. The item took ages to arrive posted from China. Of course it was the wrong one, had the wrong plug, wrong rating etc. Too cheap and too much hassle to return it so I bought another AVR from a UK seller that offers a buy and collect service. This appears to be the only way to get stuff that's genuinely in the UK so my advice is if you can't click and collect don't buy! I also ordered a brush box from "Wolverhampton" it didn't arrive so I contacted the seller. He asked me to send him a photograph of the package! Not easy when nothing arrived. I don't mind paying for stuff and I expect a little delay between UK and Ireland for posting but some idiot saying "postage from China take 45 working days thank you for understanding" when it's sold as being next door. Of course the estimated delivery time quoted is always Royal Mail UK-Ireland and eBay don't give a rodent's rectum as long as they get their cut. Grrr
I don't have a problem with Chinese products the Chinese made my telephone, television, kettle etc it's the foboffery and delay I object to. 45 working days for a generator part is nonsense OK I don't actually NEED a generator and I have a few in any case but if you really needed one 8 weeks is a long wait to watch a movie or have a cup of coffee.
Rant over
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Oiler

• View Profile
Re: A Little Rant about eBay parts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:42 AM »
That is exactly why I never buy anything from the chineese anymore. I'd rather pay twise the price to get it from a local dealer.
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
24 volt 600 watt vindturbine and small battery bank.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
Heres something else that irritates me about eBay. If I sell something on ebay it's always posted signed for, I have to give the name of the postal service or courier and a tracking number that the system checks or appears to. Chinese sellers send tracking numbers that mean nothing and aren't related to any courier or postal service, must be a business seller thing

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »

I Buy a LOT of Ebay stuff and most of it is from China.
For the majority of things offered locally, the chinese sellers can be 1/4 the price if not less.
Bought something the other day, Cheapest I could find it for locally was $55.  From China, $12.  It was supposed to take 3 weeks which I was prepared to wait for, arrived in 9.  Very happy.

There are a few " Local" sellers who bullshit endlessly about delivery from across the city  and send from China. When the thing is in the same city and postage is listed at 14 Days, you know it's a crock.

Be careful of the 45 Day thing too. I recently got stung on leaving feedback.  Got screwed around till the 6 weeks you can leave feedback was up so I couldn't leave feedback that the postage was a crock because they tell you that on purpose so if it doesn't arrive or more as research pointed out, they don't send at all, you can't let others know.  Apparently this is the latest scam.

I had to buy something the other week and every seller had a 45 day delivery time and there were no local sellers.  Took the risk and to my great surprise it was here in 13 days.  Bonus!

The " Hope you Understand" line drives me crazy. I hope they would understand if they siad it to me in person and I shoved their teeth down their throats because that's how Irate  that load of crap gets me.  I had one a few months ago that I left neg feedback for and after about 4 ignored messages, as soon as I did that they were on to me twice a day and couldn't refund me quick enough. Every message had the Hope you understand crap in it.
  They wanted me to revise my feedback so I did. Took away the bit that said Ignored my emails to  Finally refunded.
They wanted me to change the neg to pos but I said I had honestly revised the feedback, it would be wrong to lie,  HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND!

I only buy things that if I loose the money, which I can't remember ever happening so far, I'm not in dire straights.  Any major purchase is pick up only and if I can't do that, I simply buy where I can.  When the money is too much to brush off, I take the relevant precautions.

Ebay manage to piss everyone off. They provide NO protection at all  for buyers despite the carry on they promote. Read the fine print and you can see it's a load of Bollocks.
By the same token, they also manage to screw over a lot of legit sellers as well. They seem to cater and look after the shonks on both sides rather well but the honest people with problems they couldn't care less about.

I have a problem with about one in 15 transactions but so far I have managed to get a refund or replacement on everything bar one. I bought a 100W Flood Light for the back yard which was only 70W.  after arguing that " Bright as 100W " Didn't count and their crap about was I qualified to which I said yes I am, are you? they agreed to send another light from China which never arrived.
Got my own back but.  Bought 5 $1 items over a few weeks my daughter did want for her party and left neg feedback on each one under all our accounts that I bought them on.  Bet that hurt!

I have found in a lot of cases that if you complain about the wrong thing being sent, they will either refund or send again without you sending back because if they send the wrong thing, THEY are liable for return Shipping. If you want to play hardball, put in the return with ebay and say it was counterfeit goods.  Here and in a lot of other countries it's illegal to send counterfeit goods by post or courier service.  they can't ask you to break the law sending them back so have to refund.

Ebay are protective of their bigger sellers.
There is a mob here that do a lot of machinery . It's all imported but tends to be of the cheap and nasty type. They go on about their technicians but a couple of things I bought before I woke up that went back and I discovered in the carpark before I took them home still wern't right, they must employ disabled Monkeys.
They get a lot of neg feedback but there are a lot of people on different forums here that have left neg feedback, screen shotted it and then a day or 2 later it's gone.

You have to do your homework but it's not always enough. Take the good with the bad and understand that's the risk you take and live with it.
Occasionally you come out ahead like the 20 Mc4 Solar connectors I ordered and got 3 lots of 20 send over a couple of weeks Or the load of DPDT relays, bridge rectifiers and Jiffy boxes I got send by one company. I buy off them regularly and I had only ordered a couple off each but I think they quadrupled the order. 

A good one was buying an 8 Hp Petrol engine off the dodgy crowd and getting a 6.5. Spotted that as soon as the guy brought it out and told him he had the wrong one.  Next comes out with an 8 HP electric start diesel......  Well, I couldn't upset the poor fella by sending him back again with the wrong thing could I,  so being the kinda fella I am, Told him thanks, put it in the back and brought it home.....  Even had a battery with it but sure enough, battery was stuffed and wouldn't hold a charge..... had half a mind to send it back I did!  :laugh:

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
Just wait until you try to send stuff TO China!

I sent a package, only A4 sized and maybe 1/4" thick, just a pile of papers. Sent it with UPS I think (one of the couriers anyway), express 3-day service.

5 WEEKS later, it arrived.

It cost nearly 70 to send.

I was fuming...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
I live in Ireland so buy local usually means buying Chinese goods at Danish prices so it pays to buy from the UK a lot of the time. eg 5kw brush box 19.99 plus 4.99 P&P locally 4.99 plus 4.00 P&P from the UK. I don't think the quality of the items varies a whole lot as they are all made in China anyway. It's the guy in China that uses his 5th cousins takeaway's English address to register as a UK seller that irritates me.
None of the things I been buying are worth a lot but I want then reasonably soon not weeks away.
This is the latest message I got

dear buyer, i am sorry to hear that you have not received the item. it must blocked on the way,
ple do not worry, i will check for you now.
thanks for your patience and understanding.
have a nice day.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
Just wait until you try to send stuff TO China!

I sent a package, only A4 sized and maybe 1/4" thick, just a pile of papers. Sent it with UPS I think (one of the couriers anyway), express 3-day service.

5 WEEKS later, it arrived.

It cost nearly 70 to send.

I was fuming...

70.00 ouch!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »
I also buy a significant amount of stuff from EBay and other online stores. It really gets up my nose when they list an item as `in stock` when they don`t have any. I waited three months for a set of lawn mower blades, the vendor finally admitted that they were out of stock and gave me a refund. A look on their web site still shows the blades as in stock and ready for immediate dispatch!

Another piece of advice is to only ever pay with PayPal. I recently received a refund of $116 from them for a purchase that never arrived.

Happy surfing
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:33 PM »
Hi AdeV, why are you sending papers by mail, couldn`t you scan them and send them electronically?
70 quid, ouch.
Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
I just spent an hour looking at stuff on amazon.co.uk. It's slightly clearer that some items are coming from overseas. I assume they are the same Chinese sellers that are on eBay? I think my next generator will be brushless. Obviously if I do the capacitor will be faulty and I will be back on the Internet trying to find a UK seller that actually speaks some English and maybe even lives there!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi AdeV, why are you sending papers by mail, couldn`t you scan them and send them electronically?
70 quid, ouch.

Hi Bob,

It was supporting documentation for a Visa application - which means it all has to be original, no copies/electronic versions allowed.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
Hi AdeV, that makes sense now. Had to do the same for my immigration from the UK to Australia. Thankfully I only had to take the documents to the Australian embassy in London.

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
My message to seller : Can you tell me why you said this item was in the UK when it's obviously not in the UK and can you explain why the tracking number is a fake number. Thank you for understanding

Sellers reply: ! Dear buyer , I will check it and reply you later take patient please ,thank

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »

Sounds like whenever I get back to sellers when something hasn't arrived. always more delay tactics....

Can you wait a few more days, Can you check is not at post office, can you check is not with neighbour, Maybe delayed due to holiday.....

Yeah, I ordered 3 things that week, all the rest were here in a fortnight or less. It's been 6 weeks, clearly it ain't coming.
Refund NOW!

Asians do have a different outlook to westerners that's for sure.
I did a stint in IT selling computer parts. It was an asian Company and I was the only Non asian there.
I never ceased to be be amazed at their business ethic. A customer would want something, they would put them on hold and ring the supplier whom would tell them they would not have them for 10 days. they would get straight back to the customer and say yeah, no problem, be here tomorrow. No for sure, 100%.

I was like what the hell?  BUT.... the Asian customers NEVER complained when the stuff didn't show up. The majority of my clients were Non asian  (which I always felt was a big part of why I got the Job) and like me, they would have gone Nuts being promised something the next day and it not turn up for a fortnight... consistently.

The other thing was start, finish and lunch times.
We were supposed to start at 9am. For the first few weeks I would be waiting in the carpark at 8:50. The Boss would be the first one in at about 9:20 and everyone else would arrive up till 9:30.  This was never seen as anything but completely normal.  Except me being there before the boss seemed to amuse him a bit.

Lunch was supposed to be 30 Min but was more like " gulp your food down and get back to work"  and it was frowned upon to be sitting there after you had finished your food just sitting round talking.  I had run ins with the owners over that more than once but I made my position clear that I was entitled to 30 Min and that was what I was going to take.

Finish time was 5 Pm but about half the people would have disappeared by 4:50 and 5 Pm was like the start of a Grand Prix out the door at the second the clock struck the hour.  I could rack up a lot of sales still being there at 5:05 and beyond.  As I was getting commission, my time was well paid.

As westerners we find the asian customs to be infuriating but I think still to a lot of their own culture, over promise and deliverer is the way it is and they accept that rather than our way of wanting under promise and over deliver.

Of course then there is the more basic fact that a lot of Fleabay sellers are as dodgy as they can get away with and will literally do and say anything to make an extra .2C profit.    >:(

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
eBay is one of my hero's.  When you live in the middle of the ocean and technology was once spelled R A D I O Shack until it went broke you then can truly appreciate eBay.  Coupled with cheapish shipping by the United States Postal Service we didn't miss the great shopping found in modern cities on the mainland of the US.  Unfortunately the conservative movement overwhelming the United States at this time is gutting all government programs including those that many of us took national pride in until just a few years ago.

I can still remember the day I found not one but two NOS carbs for a TMK leaf blower that had been out of production for 20 years.  Wow!  And it's still running after 30 years of service.  Thank you eBay.

And the six pack of air filters for the Husqvarna mower for the price of just one from the dealer.  Very nice hit; Thank you, eBay.

Now if we could search on just the stupid words we put in the search query box. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245