Author Topic: just happy to report - Lister 6/1 running great on WVO  (Read 342 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
just happy to report - Lister 6/1 running great on WVO
« on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
I've finally gotten this thing humming the way I'd always imagined, and now have probably a bit more than 100 hours with this set up.   

I don't have a water-adding device, nor have I changed the air filter from the stock.    Still, just happy things are working so well.   I suppose I'm posting this to open myself to criticism/advice on how to continue my streak of healthy running. 

Here's my short blog post with some photos:

http://journeyinthewoods.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-happily-burning-wvo-in-my-lister-gen.html

glort

• View Profile
Re: just happy to report - Lister 6/1 running great on WVO
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
  I suppose I'm posting this to open myself to criticism/advice on how to continue my streak of healthy running. 

Keep doing what you are doing!

But consider adding some WI just as preventative maintenance.  :0)

I think the key to the whole Veg/ WMO thing is Clean, dry oil.  An awful lot of problems are caused by the quality of the fuel rather than the fuel type itself.
Like a person, if you feed them rubbish they have problems sooner or later. Give them good food and those problems are highly Diminished.

Most people over complicate anything to do with Veg.  My vehicle has been running on veg 4-5 years now and the ONLY modification to it is a different fuel filter from another vehicle because I get them for nothing and the water injection.  That's it. No stuffing round with heating the fuel, change over solenoids, 2nd fuel lines or any of the other rubbish. Manufacturers spent a lot of money and put a lot of experience into making that fuel system reliable as they could. Buggers me why people want to make it " Better" by adding in 15 new failure points!

Couple of things.....

Adding in petrol to the Oil is a good thing.  I reckon 5% brings the timing of veg back to that similar of diesel.  I use 10% in winter, 15% in extreme cases.
Using blended fuel eliminates the need for Purging wither way.  Try 10% ULP in winter, 5% in summer and see how you go starting. I'll guarantee you;ll have no trouble and then you won't need to worry about putting diesel through at the end of a run.  My Roid starts on cold straight Veg same as it starts easily on anything else.  I fired it up a couple of months ago on what was just sitting in teh filter housing for what mush have been 2 years. No trouble at all starting it straight up.

Instead of expensive " Injection cleaner" what you want is a bottle of Naptha. It's sold as lighter fluid, Coleman gas, White spirit  and other things but it is the overwhelming main ingredient in every Fuel and oil system cleaner out there. ALL of them. you can look up the MSDS sheets and see for yourself.

Here an injection cleaner is about $15 for a 200?ml bottle where the stuff is maybe 50% concentrate. The rest is kero or diesel and maybe a bit of ethanol.  By the same token, I can buy a 1L bottle of naptha in a not particularly cheap place for $8.
Throw a bit ( or a lot) of that in your oil and you'll save a lot on the packaged cleaners which are the self same stuff.

Glad it's going well for you.  I would expect nothing less!  :0)