Author Topic: Induction Motor Generators  (Read 2335 times)

guest22972

Induction Motor Generators
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »

In the process of setting up my IMAG again.  Might have it running tomorrow.
Been a few years since I touched it  so I have forgotten more than I remember about them.

Anyone else set one up and put it to any practical use?

Anyone know of any off the shelf controllers for them or schematic to build a controller?

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Induction Motor Generators
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
Hey Glort...

Use one regularly.... As a mains "booster".... No controller, no frills, no dangly bits, just hook it up and slow the meter down by turning up the wick on the pump....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »
Hey Glort...

I am using an enormous 3 phase motor.... About 200Kg worth(Using one phase in delta I think...).... Cant remember what its rating is though, its in the bottom of the chassis on TM2 belted to and below the Genhead proper... I just move from Island to Assist by switching the plugs... TM2 puts out around 8 horsies or so, I haven't run him to coal on it yet, my output is used to slow the meter, but cant do a reverse on it as it is an electronic, oh no you don't, one!

I have made up my mind to die on this property.... NO WAY am I going to try and move! I am managing to use up my extraneous bits lying around though.....

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
This is some info i looked at a while back, on using a 3 phase motor as a gen, it might help some with the basics.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/3-phase-motor-generator-conversion/196032

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
Hi Guys....

A word of experience, forget trying to run an induction motor as a prime mover on a dynamic load such as a house etc.... Induction motors as gennies work very well under an even load, where caps can be set up to match the load and one doesn't overload the output to cause flux breakdown and in tandem, loss of output....

Where an induction motor really shines, is when you hook it to an existing prime mover type source, where the excitation voltage comes from the lines that you will be generating onto. All that is needed is a small amount of "overspeed" on the induction motor, now generator, to get things happening... Anything from 2% overspeed to around 10% will give you plenty of power back up the lines...

Glort, I don't know whether you have tried this yet, give it a go if you haven't, you will be surprised at how easy it works. Stick an ammeter on the line, power up the electric motor from a plug point (have the decompressor engaged) and with a bit of help from a crank, the electric motor will spin the engine over.... drop the decompressor and see what happens... The current on the ammeter drops to zero or near zero, if your pulley ratios are right, and the engine is running close to "mains frequency" ... wind up the governor a bit, and the ammeter starts registering the current now flowing BACK down the lines as the induction motor now acts as an induction generator (watch your turny meter for proof) .... Wind it up too much and the flux breaks down and it stops generating....

Have fun....

Cheers
Ed