Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR3 Service interval  (Read 5181 times)

pop2019

• View Profile
SR3 Service interval
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
I've just become the proud owner of a Lister SR3 engine in my narrowboat. The only manual I've been able to get hold of is the Parts List which is very interesting. My first problem is, at how many hours should I change the engine and gearbox oil? Can someone tell me the capacities, and are these the correct grades - engine SAE 20CC and gearbox SAE 80. Looking forward to reading any replies. Thanks, Pop.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: SR3 Service interval
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:44:46 AM »
Sounds like a very nice project and way of life there Pop.
Spent a short amount of time on a narrow boat and really enjoyed it. If you are only doing this as a hobby every second weekend then a yearly oil change would be ample. If it is for a commercial reason then an hour meter would be best to go by. I don't know the quantites for that engine but I use a good quality diesel engine oil for our hot climate here in Australai so ahve a talk with other boat owners and see what they are using. Ambient temperatures make a difference to the grade of oil required. As for the gearbox I use SAE 90 oil which is a mineral grade oil and an old standard for older style gearboxes out here.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:01 AM »
Here's your manual

pop2019

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »
Cobbadog, thanks for the reply, I'm currently carrying out a complete refit, which I hope to have done ready for summer. We shall see.

pop2019

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:04 AM »
dax, thank you very much for the manual. I had almost given up hope of seeing one. It answers all my questions and more, brilliant!

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
Sounds like a great project and a fantastic way to pass away the time with friends and Family and all other like minded people. We just finished watching a short series on the canals of Britian, such a brillaint story and especially the one at Manchester going inland to bypass tha main port to go directly to the cotton mills.
From my miserable memory the last man made canal was to London from Bath I think. The Victoria era for industilisation was the single biggest step forward for Britain and rea;;y put it on the map.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 07:40:53 PM »
dax, thank you very much for the manual. I had almost given up hope of seeing one. It answers all my questions and more, brilliant!

Pleasure, post some pics of your setup