Puppeteer

Author Topic: My God! Can't old posts go away!  (Read 19820 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: My God! Can't old posts go away!
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
Alcohol is the answer! Could someone remind me what the question was?

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems - HJ Simpson

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
Will you bug*ers please stop talking about British beer and pubs. I now live in Australia and like Ade says the beer is like cats piss.
The Newport Arm in Sydney used to sell Old Speckled Hen but it was ice cold and carbonated, almost as bad as the local sh1t.

I did find the Four Pines in Manly had a master brewer called Andrew Tweedle. He brewed on site and made proper traditional ales, sadly i believe he is now brewing in Hawaii. I hope the Pines have maintained his brewing excellence.

I only drink red wine now, something Australia makes very well.

Pudding wines made in France are called Sauternes and are delicious and very expensive. There are a lot of convents and monasteries that have been making wines and spirits, for there own consumption, for generations. Probably explains why they spend so much of the day on their knees, too pissed to stand up. :laugh:

Bob 

guest23837

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
Will you bug*ers please stop talking about British beer and pubs. I now live in Australia and like Ade says the beer is like cats piss.
The Newport Arm in Sydney used to sell Old Speckled Hen but it was ice cold and carbonated, almost as bad as the local sh1t.

I did find the Four Pines in Manly had a master brewer called Andrew Tweedle. He brewed on site and made proper traditional ales, sadly i believe he is now brewing in Hawaii. I hope the Pines have maintained his brewing excellence.

I only drink red wine now, something Australia makes very well.

Pudding wines made in France are called Sauternes and are delicious and very expensive. There are a lot of convents and monasteries that have been making wines and spirits, for there own consumption, for generations. Probably explains why they spend so much of the day on their knees, too pissed to stand up. :laugh:

Bob

It has to be ale! Have you considered making a brew yourself? It's not too difficult to make just difficult to make well. I have made stout (Guinness ) in the past it's too heavy after 2 pints you kinda have had enough.
Remember years ago you used to get cider with bits suspended in it? rocket fuel. Any cider I tried recently tasted like industrial alcohol and chemicals flavourings etc I'd say it was never near an apple in any part of the production process. Years ago we used to be able to get Poitin (moonshine) it was honey flavoured and would start a Honda 50 with a warm engine. The stuff for sale now is made industrially and can make you blind.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
Great family story, Glort. Most enjoyable. I haven't seen any of my family for over 20 years, some 30.  All alive except my Dad who got a horror show sendoff via rapidly progressing ALS 2 years ago.  I did bribe one nephew to come by for a day last summer.  He was visiting a college classmate in Denver and ran low on cash for pot, so was  influenced to drive over to see a little bit of northern AZ. It was nice to have the illusion of a family if only for a day. 

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
thanks for the story glort, I  enjoyed reading it here during my lunch. gus.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
No kids, I got sick at 29. Wife immediately moved on to greener pastures, a wealthy polo player, who she did marry and then divorce. I found out later I had been number 5. 

Just a simple case of a disfunctional family too caught up in their own lives to be bothered.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing such happy memories, used to love the Newport Arms. The barman Bobby Willets, a man with an enormous mustachio, was a family friend. He retired a long time ago and now drives a bus ferrying the old and disabled to various functions.

Sorry to hear you have all lost so many of your family and friends, reminds me of the song by Willy Nelson "I don`t want to be the last man standing, but then again maybe I do"

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2018, 06:54:33 AM »
...... I was part of a clinical test once, well twice actually, and have a very high and rare tolerance to booze. Just don't work on me pretty much.  I was tested twice because they thought they Screwed the results of the first tests up. Second lot came back marginally better. They suggested it was my metabolism but if it was that, I wouldn't have a fat gut on me when I don't drink very much. They did ask how I went with pain Killers and the fact they don't work so well on me nor does anesthetic seemed to add up to them.
 I'd rather pain killers worked real well and I got drunk easily than the other way around. .....

It doesn't pay to be a medical anomaly.   I have almost the opposite problem.
Anesthetic, pain killers, CBD oil, does nothing for me.  Woke up in the OR once, they'd run out of juice, and sent a crew down to the pharmacy for more - stat!
 But 2 or 3 glasses of wine will do me fine for a couple hours, better than all the morphine and tramadol that I have leftover.  Had a couple stout surgeries: prostate, kidney stones, shoulder replacement, and none of the medical stuff works as well as a bottle of sangria .

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
Hmmmm....

Sangria!! Touche!
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
... But 2 or 3 glasses of wine will do me fine for a couple hours, better than all the morphine and tramadol that I have leftover.

So I guess you're one of the few people for whom the brandy bottle truly is for Medicinal Use Only :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
I really do love this forum. Genuine people, with real lives and the associated trials and joys thereof.

Ron.

PS. Johndoh, you really should look at Evan Williams, much smoother IMHO. :o
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:58:36 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

guest23837

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »
I really do love this forum. Genuine people, with real lives and the associated trials and joys thereof.

Ron.

PS. Johndoh, you really should look at Evan Williams, much smoother IMHO. :o

I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace for my birthday very smooth. Usually I drink Jim Beam for guzzling and Markers Mark or Woodford reserve for sipping. I have tried most that are sold in Ireland from Four Roses to Rebel Yell to Bulleit as well as the supermarket own brands. If you go into a pub here and just ask for bourbon you'll probably get Jack Daniels (not for me)

Bourbon prices are going to rocket here thanks to the weird haired one 30% tariff will make it very occasional indeed!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2018, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi Johndoh, used to love Woodford Reserve, it is available in Australia but at such a high price I can`t afford it. Have you considered making your own? i know it`s illegal in the UK but it isn`t difficult and provided you don`t try to sell it who`s ever going to know? Just be careful with running a still don`t  blow up yourself or the shed. :laugh:

Bob

stevem

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2018, 05:41:49 AM »
     I can't believe what I started.  I had to chuckle this evening when I came to this site for the first time in a good while.  My initial post was made because every time I have looked to open this site over a fairly long period of time I type in Lister Engine Forum and the first thing that pops up is "HELP I'VE BEEN BANNED FROM THE LISTER ENGINE FORUM!)  Dated 2008.  That is what started this thread.  I would hate to think what would happen if I gulped a bottle of tequila and did a couple of bong hits before posting.  Seriously though, My Listeroid, that I have had for about 10 years and use for backup power is about to go to pasture and a Changfa I have had for some time is going in.  I truly enjoy the engines and will check in from time to time to find out any new tricks.  I guess my mistake was  calling the pleading of the desperate soul a post.  Cheers.  PS-- I have re-read as counseled, multiple times I hope it is as innocuous  as it is meant to be.
     As I see the price at the pumps creeping up I am guessing that interest in these engines will once again peak.