Author Topic: 2 kW generator head  (Read 6014 times)

fallingblock

• View Profile
2 kW generator head
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »
Wanted.  A 2kw to 2.5 kw 240volt single phase 2  bearing generator head, preferably 1500 rpm.
United kingdom.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: 2 kW generator head
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »

Check these ones out

This is sold in NZ; but I'll eat my hat if it sn't made in China

I'd be surprised if versions of the same thing aren't available elsewhere on the planet

Glort - it'd probably cost bugger-all to ship one to Oz

cheers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators-power-supply/diesel/auction-1625468314.htm?rsqid=88fb834aa24a47909a19f3ce508b12ed

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:27:04 PM »
Yeah mark me down for one in Oz as well!!! Cant seem to find much over here either.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »

Just as a comment to all that

A while back I imported an ST-type generator head from China

Never used it, in the end

It was a bit of a mission with customs etc - but only time, no real cost

total was about $NZ600 from memory

Quite "do-able"

Cheers

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »
Hey Mike, I thought about importing one a while ago. It would have to come in through either Brisbane or Sydney, trouble is its a five hour drive to Brisbane and seven hours to Sydney. One would think that someone would be importing them commercially but I haven`t been able to find them. Nice little business for someone.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Hey Glort, I wouldn`t know where to start with an import business but how hard can it be? Bunnings do it every day. I have tried to contact Ozlisteroids with regards to generator heads but I think they have pretty much retired. Perhaps this is something we should investigate further. I suspect that people like Dieselgman in the USA know which Chinese suppliers are reliable.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
Hey Mike, I thought about importing one a while ago. It would have to come in through either Brisbane or Sydney, trouble is its a five hour drive to Brisbane and seven hours to Sydney. One would think that someone would be importing them commercially but I haven`t been able to find them. Nice little business for someone.

Bob

Bob those guys in Tauranga might ship you one if you asked?  But I can't believe someone in Oz isn't importing them.  Have you had a google?

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:40:28 PM »
Wanted.  A 2kw to 2.5 kw 240volt single phase 2  bearing generator head, preferably 1500 rpm.
United kingdom.

eBay is probably your best bet.

They can be had for £nuppence from China direct, but the shipping kills it (door-to-door, look at £500-750, if you can find a seller who will use a courier; by sea is cheap but you'll have all kinds of aggro when it lands at your local dock, plus around £400 "import charges" (read: official backhanders).

If you've got the money, buying a shipping container full of them would be cost effective (unless you count losing all of your hair, after it turned grey to be a cost too far); then you'll fall down because either they won't be CE marked, or the CE mark will be fake... and you'll lose the lot.

Clarke do a nice unit, available from Machine Mart, but it's a 3000rpm head. Seems to be available in 2.2kva and 6.5kva versions at the moment. The 6kva is probably the better one if you're looking for 2.5kW.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
For info, a Chinese 3KW alternator: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ST-3KW-2KW-1KW-1-Phase-220V-50HZ-AC-Synchronous-Alternator-Generator/32298374993.html

Ignore the £50 postage... it'll be waaay more than that by air.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 03:53:33 AM »
For info, a Chinese 3KW alternator: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ST-3KW-2KW-1KW-1-Phase-220V-50HZ-AC-Synchronous-Alternator-Generator/32298374993.html

Ignore the £50 postage... it'll be waaay more than that by air.

FWIW when I bought mine from China the communication was good from the supplier, and they were helpful with the import paperwork.  Sent by sea the freight was $NZ16  Yes, really.  The customs guys was helpful.  There were no customs duties on a generator from China but I paid GST and some import charges or something.  i forget the details cos it was easy and cheap.  Circa $NZ600 all up

I do believe this happy account may be atypical?  But that was my experience

Just saying

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
Unfortunately, shipping to the UK is a whole different gether all to twist.

Basically - forget it, it's a nightmare.

Door-to-door shipping works really well, but for anything that weighs more than about 10kg, the price starts racking up something fierce. On top of whatever the port charges you for handling your shipment, you also have to pay VAT (20% of the entire cost, including shipping), and quite possibly an import duty as well (that's added before VAT as I understand it). VAT  is the UK/EU equivalent of GST for you antipodeans. Finally, your shipment may well be rejected because whatever you've bought doesn't have a "CE" mark, which is a certification required by pretty much anything to be imported into Europe (well, any EU country).

It's possible - although unlikely - that the CE mark requirement will cease to be an issue post-Brexit, but since Brexit is likely to end up being "Bre-stay-in-sorta-kinda", I'd not hold my breath.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
Hi Guys, Alibaba and ebay have some generator heads for sale but the quality is unknown. There are some businesses in Oz that sell 240 volt alternators but the mark up is excessive. Looking forward to Amazon expanding it`s interests I Australia. Good for the consumer lousy for the retailer, job losses and etc.

guest23837

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »
Stationary engine parts in the UK sometimes have 2 bearing, 1500 RPM alternators and I believe they can get them to order as well. This is good value

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MeccAlte-s16w-90-2-generator-alternator/192452838298?hash=item2ccf15439a:g:Ds0AAOSwqfZafxOt

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Then there is this method that was mentioned here on LEF in a different thread. Looks like an inexpensive way to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6ceGegUYQ

Also this http://www.utterpower.com/a-free-diyer-generator-head/

Worth a look anyway!
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project