Puppeteer

Author Topic: New member  (Read 3222 times)

saba

• View Profile
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:59:58 PM »
Goodday to you all, I should have been a member allready a long time ago. I started with my listers after seeing the movie of Ken Boak on youtube. Now I have got three complete listers and a half one.
By "accident" I bought two listers in england on ebay, I used a betting robot because I always lost in the last seconds......and then you have them both.... One is a SOM 6-1 in running condition working as a CHP.
Otherone is still in parts but complete.
AT the moment busy with a lister VA, just a paint job actually was running when I bought it two years ago. The plan was to sell it but I am afraid it will stay. Came from an old fishing trawler.

My CHP setup was the real challenge I spend huge amounts of time in automation, arduino, esp8266. And actually thats the bigger hobby now.
CHP is a disaster with my exhaust gas cooler, clogging up each time. I proved my point it's really working but I think I will tear it down in the near future.

The reason that really pushed me to finally subscribe....the SOM was complete when i bought it box generator fuel tank etc. Only the generator took me a lot of time to clean it was super dirty and after it looked like new again the cables were very brittle I did not dare to put it to service, the isolation of the cables just dried out. (the cable that comes out of the coil)
I read a few stories on the forum about rewinding it but all the stories took another path after a while, did anybody try it having it rewinded.
And I still remember I was looking for new bearings and the price was mmm...
At the moment it's driving a three fase motor and it's a dahlander two speed so I just start it with the same motor.

Maybe for a later time I will ask for the original cilinder and piston it's super oversize.

Oh yes almost forgot, Bernhard dutch .

Greetings bernhard

saba

• View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:42:43 AM »
Hello Glort, i've read a few of your stories.
I'll just add a little to my story, I live in city center in a very old house, 1700/1800 ? maybe even older.
So for exhaust noise I build a labirinth box about 1,50m long and 50 by 50cm inside covered with rockwool there is no noise only some fumes.
For heat recovery exhaust I used a marine brass pipe oil cooler pipes about 8mm , it works like a dream. Exhaust comes out at cooling water temperature.
The house is three floors, street level is a full garage 12m/5m then second floor living kitchen, third floor bedrooms etc.
To make this happen I needed a soundproof box, took some time but I came up with a cool/freezer cell. these are insulated with pur so good for heat but not for sound. I patched it up with rockwool. Result 90%. After 5 hours next to it you had enough, it's a men cave the garage, but a succes clean looks nice and you have a good solid door.
Only thing it heats up inside so ventilator in and out, blowing hot(smelly) air outside waste of heat. Coolingwater heats up so exhaust gas cooler is not condensating the exhaustgasses  anymore it starts condensating in my labyrinth box. Thats not 100% waterproof so it's dripping black water.
I did run the engine on natural gas with diesel, lpg with vedge oil etc. But always after 300 hours? the cooler starts clogging up and it's a black disaster again.
I finally got a solution I gues a heat exchanger from a condensing natural gas heater, but I think I have decided to skip the chp project I proved my point but it never reached the point were it can run for a week without attendance. But there was enough water from the fuel I even made a connection to add water and to flush the cooler with chemicals after use.
Ok thats it for now,
regards Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
photo upload test, ok that did not work,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOehiNMKXzU

This is the sound of the engine in the cooler/freezer cell. It's me taking of the flywheel of the VA. I bought a 30/40 ton jack with straps.
I'll try photo's later.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:21:19 PM »
Just bought a 10-2, at least the biggest part of it. It's not much a lot of work and new parts I gues. I will try to post some pictures. Nice detail is the rat poo in the engineblock says it all. Luckally it was blown out during the two hour drive. I still need a way to make decent pictures to upload my phone makes ones that are to large, these are the ones the seller send me.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
If you have a Windows computer, I can hugely recommend Faststone Image Resizer. Dump all of your photos into a folder, run a batch resize on the lot. It auto-compensates for portrait vs. landscape, it'll rename & number them for you, and even add a watermark, all done in a few seconds.

I frequently use it... although I tend to take photos on my phone & e-mail them to myself, the phone offers to shrink the photos for me... that's if I'm being lazy.

Best of all, it's completely free!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »
Another try

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip with the resizing, I'll make some more pics and show them. With the 10/2 I'll need to check what is the wise way to go. It's going to be very expensive. I'll post some pictures later
to show how bad it is.
By the picture is from the VA, still need to assemble it.

Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:41:29 AM »
Just a few pictures to see the damage, crankshaft and cilinder blocks were sort of as expected only I missed the flywheel damage. I am thinking some thing with a tapered bush and use one of my 6-1 flywheels and bolt it to the tapered bush pully. Still have some time to think it over it's not a summer job anyway.
Regards Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »
one more..

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
Hi

Looks you've bought a whole heap of work!

Good luck and keep posting your progress.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.