Author Topic: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale  (Read 2960 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Also went and had a look.... My Word!!

What a lovely interesting design - Just love the way the alternator pulls the air through the radiator!! Looks especially handy for when you get those niggly little water leaks in the core, you can mist cool the alternator and get a second use for the water rather than letting it go to waste!!

Also so handy to have the water filler right above the electrical control panel, it forces you to fill and top up the water really carefully....

Hmmmmm.....NOT!

Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »

Yes, you can see the brilliant engineering principals and thought that went into these 100,000 Hr engines.   :laugh:

I got to admit though, I don't mind the colour scheme....  or most of it anyway.  The Gold rocker cover and the red pulley are laughable but the Bone and brown of the engine isn't bad at all.
Certainly for me leaves the Indian metallic green crap for dead.

Guess when you are paying 10-20X what something is actually worth, you want it to look pretty.
About all this setup has going for it to justify the price paid.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
I too thought it looked quite nice.

My Listeroid single has a digital voltage readout and other somewhat "high end" alterations. It's pretty neat.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
Gents,

Mr Andree and this forum have had a number of increasingly acrimonious run-ins in the past... none of them ended particularly well, and frankly none of them need to be repeated. By all means, go visit the old threads, and come to your own conclusions - then, as Mr Confucius might say - a wise man his own counsel he keeps. Or was it Yoda who said that? Forget, I do.  Anyway, none of us need those old wounds re-opened.

Any further references to the gentleman in question will force me to delete posts, sorry. But feel free to link to past posts if you find something there you really wanted to say.... can't say fairer than that.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 01:01:13 AM »
Not a comment about the subject person... just a reference to engine life to put hours into perspective.

100,000 Hrs ...do you guys realize that 100,000 Hrs is 11 years of continuous 24/7 running. !

If the engine were to run 10 hours per day every day it would take 27 years until a rebuild is needed.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:04:50 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 02:43:26 AM »

I see the OP is still trying for a sale.
$10K now. Wasn't it 18-19 Originally?  Seems he's a bit more reluctant to take the big loss than he made out.

I was looking on some machinery websites last Night. Saw a Genny, 300kva, large Multicylinder engine on it with 65,000 Hours.
NEVER seen anything with that many hours on it before.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the 100K hours claim and see no reason one of these machines couldn't do it.
Parts are readily available so with 3-4 full rebuilds, could do that and more.  You probably just want a spare set of rings. or 5.
And Valves. and a few bores. and heads. And cranks would come in handy as well as a few sets of every other component on the machine.

Given that, Can't see a problem getting one of those to last 100K hours at all!
That's the trouble these days, People are so skeptical of wildly exaggerated claims!  :laugh:

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
Saw an old Cat diesel genset for sale a while back - made in the '50s.  Owner described it as having been "boringly reliable in daily service for the last thirty years & anticipated the new owner would find it equally boringly reliable for another 30 . . ."

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
Still a lot of money but truth of the matter is with component prices being what they are a person wishing to replicate it and hire all the work done would very close to the current BIN price in his own. That is assuming all new components, a correctd engine and my shop rates.  Only going by what a person could read on Willems various websites I would guess that the engine would be a good one and a step or two above an engine that was not gone through.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »

For that sort of money, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives every bit if not more dependable and reliable.
For that sort of money you could forget about longevity and just buy a heap of other engines and replace/ rebuild them as needed and still be ahead.
I'd be looking at a Kubota , Yanmar or other industrial Diesels before I'd spend that sort of money on an old plugger no matter how well gone over it was.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the 100K hours claim and see no reason one of these machines couldn't do it.
Parts are readily available so with 3-4 full rebuilds, could do that and more.  You probably just want a spare set of rings. or 5.
And Valves. and a few bores. and heads. And cranks would come in handy as well as a few sets of every other component on the machine.

:laugh:

As I recall, the WCA engine was reputed to go for 100k hours between oil changes, let alone services/rebuilds.... although that could be my memory getting flakey...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Quinnf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
Oil changes?  Before he went silent, he was recommending using grease instead of oil in his engines.  He had some great entertaining videos on his site for a while.  Surprisingly transparent with his ideas, and he clearly wanted to help advance the state of the art.  Needle bearings on the camshaft.  Silicone coolant, mild steel bus bars tieing batteries together in the crawlspace beneath a daycare center.  "These things sure get hot!" . . .    I miss him.

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »

Grease in the sump??
That's a new one. Hope the engines were all TRB types at least.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
That explains it then..........

When I got my hands on my CS there was grease AND sand in the sump, must have been a transatlantic disciple!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »
Grease, well maybe not so very fetched.........My old Enfield Bullet has it's gearbox filled completely with grease. There is even a grease nipple on it (for topping up?) It is an OEM thing, and seems to be OK after all these 40 some years.

I would let someone else be the beta tester on a 6/1 though. Glort or Ed, you two are pretty adventurous, are you willing?

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »

Glort or Ed, you two are pretty adventurous, are you willing?

Nope!
Makes no sense to me.

Oil does more than lube.  It carries away excess heat and also combustion Products.  It's a very basic thing that you want oil to flow and cold oil is thick ( but still thinner than Grease) and this is seen as a less than great thing in getting it to go where you want.
To get grease to get into all the parts you want to lube you'd have to fill the crank case quite full.... which is going to cause a hell of a lot of drag with a crank  and con rob flying around for a start. Unless the crank case was full, how is the grease going to get up to the cam? If it is up at the cam, how much  drag is there going to be on the crank?

A gearbox would have a lot of rotating shafts with a bit of lateral movement as the gears engaged Different ratios.  Very different to the motion found in the sump of an engine.  Gearbox would also not have the products of combustion to deal with and in my experience,  Grease when exposed to high temps such as in the ring land areas would burn and coke up or turn to ash pretty quick giving no lube where you wanted it the most.

"Sludge" is grease like contamination of the oil pan. I know of no one that does not think it's a bad thing and manufacturers spend a lot of time and make a lot of claims their oils prevent or avoid it.  Purposefully filling the sump with something that closely resembles the properties of sludge is very counter productive I think.

Imagine trying to do a grease change. Scraping out a bucket full and replacing it with another bucket full. Sounds Cheap as well, not.
I'm sure there would be a claim that the grease lasts longer but it's irrelevant in my mind.  Oil does not wear out, it becomes contaminated.  The grease would do the same so by reason would require being changed just as often otherwise you are running the engine in the same by products that you would change the oil to get rid of. Grease in the sump would add a whole new definition to Ed's label of " Sump Gunk" that's for sure!

People hold a lot of beliefs with oil. Mine is  if the oil supersedes the grade specified, you are better off changing  it with supermarket brand oil  regularly or before time than using the best and most expensive oil and prolonging the changes.

There are a lot of vehicles now that run Tranny fluid in their ( manual) gearboxes because the thinner oil does a better job.  To me this makes sense.

Putting grease in the sump of an engine designed for oil is blatant and outright stupidity to me. I cannot think of a single benefit to doing that but as outlined, I can sure think of a lot of drawbacks.
I  would like to see a roid running with a sump full of grease and how long it ran and what the power output was.

I think both parameters would be unimpressively low.

Now, If the guy rigged up a 25L remote oil tank that circulated through a filter the size of a bucket, then I'd say that would be a benefit and that the engine would last some impressive hours.
Grease is going the other way to my thinking.

I only try things I THINK have merit, even if others don't.  I see no point in testing ideas that I am certain will cause destruction!   :laugh: