Author Topic: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale  (Read 12360 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 01:01:13 AM »
Not a comment about the subject person... just a reference to engine life to put hours into perspective.

100,000 Hrs ...do you guys realize that 100,000 Hrs is 11 years of continuous 24/7 running. !

If the engine were to run 10 hours per day every day it would take 27 years until a rebuild is needed.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:04:50 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
Saw an old Cat diesel genset for sale a while back - made in the '50s.  Owner described it as having been "boringly reliable in daily service for the last thirty years & anticipated the new owner would find it equally boringly reliable for another 30 . . ."

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
Still a lot of money but truth of the matter is with component prices being what they are a person wishing to replicate it and hire all the work done would very close to the current BIN price in his own. That is assuming all new components, a correctd engine and my shop rates.  Only going by what a person could read on Willems various websites I would guess that the engine would be a good one and a step or two above an engine that was not gone through.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the 100K hours claim and see no reason one of these machines couldn't do it.
Parts are readily available so with 3-4 full rebuilds, could do that and more.  You probably just want a spare set of rings. or 5.
And Valves. and a few bores. and heads. And cranks would come in handy as well as a few sets of every other component on the machine.

:laugh:

As I recall, the WCA engine was reputed to go for 100k hours between oil changes, let alone services/rebuilds.... although that could be my memory getting flakey...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
Oil changes?  Before he went silent, he was recommending using grease instead of oil in his engines.  He had some great entertaining videos on his site for a while.  Surprisingly transparent with his ideas, and he clearly wanted to help advance the state of the art.  Needle bearings on the camshaft.  Silicone coolant, mild steel bus bars tieing batteries together in the crawlspace beneath a daycare center.  "These things sure get hot!" . . .    I miss him.

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
That explains it then..........

When I got my hands on my CS there was grease AND sand in the sump, must have been a transatlantic disciple!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »
Grease, well maybe not so very fetched.........My old Enfield Bullet has it's gearbox filled completely with grease. There is even a grease nipple on it (for topping up?) It is an OEM thing, and seems to be OK after all these 40 some years.

I would let someone else be the beta tester on a 6/1 though. Glort or Ed, you two are pretty adventurous, are you willing?

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »
Come on Glort....Where's your sense of adventure....

According to the "greenies" you are dooming your neighborhood to early destruction with those devilish burners of yours and that insane disregard for self preservation!!

A little lister 6/1 fragmenting quietly in the background (White hot flywheels spraying beautiful arcs of sparks into the sunset) while you direct a 3000 gigawatt flame onto the crankcase to "get the lube grease flowing".... A youtube spectacle of note!!

People would pay good money for that!!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
mild steel bus bars tieing batteries together in the crawlspace beneath a daycare center.  "These things sure get hot!" . . .    I miss him.

LOL ;D
 I must admit to being intrigued by his rambles, it was entertaining reading.  Before I read that one I was constantly going back and forth between maybe he is a good guy whose main issue is he doesn't know how to express himself very well and that he was a clueless visionary wannabe ,,,, the buss bar deal cemented my opinion on that.

It however remains that reading the rambles was a good lesson in "I saw it on the internet, it must be true and correct",,, well isnt it ?????  ??? ??

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Jetpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
Anybody notice the missing air filter??

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 05:02:33 AM »
As an experiment, I'm going to replace the crankcase oil with flubber.  That way when the piston goes down in the bore, it will rebound and be propelled upward by the enthusiastic material.  This will mitigate fuel consumption and help to achieve the magic 100K hrs between refueling.

The twin cylinder engines will be filled with positive and negative flubber so the engine always runs in the same direction.  Sinusoidal reverberation will further reduce the noise.

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
Surely the same effect could be had by utilizing the magnetic sump drain plug, north pole up and a ferromagnetic inlet valve, north pole down in conjunction with a double (south) pole piston.

This would negate the possibility of 'Marzal valve overload'

Using copper piston rings in conjunction with a reverse hectically wound water jacket (in the form of an oscillating generator) to power a dry sump total loss lubricating system running on sump gunk refined into lube oil with the waste heat from the exhaust stack would also prolong the service intervals.

The oil, once passed through the crankcase and raised to a temperature sufficient to reduce it's viscosity, would be fed directly to the elevated, insulated, ready use day tank, the gravity feed to the injector pump obviating a lift pump and aiding bleeding of the system on the initial set up.

The excess power would generated be more than enough to condense water from the exhaust, in a low pressure evaporator powered by the vacuum occasioned in the induction stroke, for injection into the inlet tract to prevent overheating, and thus loss of magnetic properties in the inlet valve. The decarbonisation effect of water injection is a matter for debate and best left to another thread, should there be any interest.

With further development of the engine management system and the inexhaustible supply of WMO from the bottom end of South Africa, a self contained generator that dispenses with the need for a world wide community of old blokes in boiler suits (dungarees for those in the US of A) and cardigans with leather elbow patches, entirely, is now (almost) a reality!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
Hi guys, while we are on the stupid and impossible thread, what about electrolysis? We could set up an cathode and anode in the crankcase and re-plate the white metal bearings faster than they wear.

Bob

Boxelder

• View Profile

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »
I see the OP, Whoever he is has tried a new tactic to sell his engine. I think he had it at 18K, then reduced it to 10 K, now ofter some months of no success he's tried another tactic..... RAISE the price back up to $21K.

Weirdly, that tactic sometimes works... I was once trying to sell a bit of old computer hardware. Wasn't having any bites trying to shift it at a low "must sell" price... so I hiked it up (doubled it IIRC). It sold within hours... Go figure.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.