Puppeteer

Author Topic: Am I getting full rack travel?  (Read 526 times)

Willw

• View Profile
Am I getting full rack travel?
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:36 AM »
Greetings all.
My engine seemed to be lacking power and I was having binding issues with the governor linkage anyway, so I decided to try replacing the yoke as per pictures I've seen here.
During this process I realized that the rack is not opening fully once all of the linkages are connected and adjusted per 38AC's method and I tighten the spring which opens the rack.
There is no external binding and everything is moving smoothly now, but about 60% rack is all I get before I can feel the internal governor sleeve reach it's full travel, so no matter how tight I make the spring the rack will open no further.
I have attached 3 pictures showing the rack in the No Fuel Position, Fully Open with the linkages attached but held open against the Governor Sleeve, and 100% open with the Vertical Linkage disconnected.
Does this seem normal?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Am I getting full rack travel?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Yup that all you get with the CS governor and more than you need. The original design actually  used a rack limiter to further limit the travel except when starting, something India chose to dispense  with
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:36:39 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »
Thank you very much sir.
That's one more issue solved. I'm moving on to the next one: fitting the gibb keys :)

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »

I was going to say, my roid has the same thing but the amount of travel it's got is more than enough as evidenced by the amount of smoke it will produce  at lower speeds and at full load and the ability for it to overspeed even at full load.  When they won't pull any harder and are smoking like steam trains, you know you well and truly have all the fueling you can use.

My China Diesels are the same, max them out and they are rolling coal in a fashion I'm sure they couldn't keep up for too long before they had an internal meltdown.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
I did something similar with my injector pumps. I used Chinese rod ends from eBay to complete the linkage. Works perfectly.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence