Author Topic: Maintenance when burning wvo  (Read 2077 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Maintenance when burning wvo
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »
I'm now finding eleven though I try and follow a service schedule but I'm finding that burning this dirty crap my service ain't good enough. Was having injector problems, didn't seem to be getting fuel very hard to start. After messing wit timing still hard to start. So I started taking the old injector pump apart. This pump I took off a few yrs ago and just now am I looking at it. It is filthy, this is one part that should be serviced at least once year. I just discovered you can pull apart injector tips and clean. This should be done about every oil change. Also I just discovered you can take the top con rod Bering out through the side cover ,it's a pain but can be done. I think after I turned a Bering I'll keep a close eye on that, maybe every 2 to 3 oil change. I'm going to have to make a check list just to keep track of this stuff. I have 12000 hr on it now still running good. I'm getting natural gas this year so I'm going to run it on duel fuel, wvo and ng. I just bought cheep a arrow k6 engine. I'm thinking I'd like to turn back into diesel if I can find parts that fit, well see.
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance when burning wvo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
I follow all the WMO threads with interest. Seems like experiences with it vary a lot? I have a pretty good supply of WMO but so far have limited it usage to heating my shop.  Maybe in retirement I will use all the knowledge gained here to fuel a gen set?  One thing that mystifies me is people are all over the place about how much filtering is required to  burn the stuff. What is your process prior to dumping it in the fuel tank?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:32:20 PM »
I weren't trying to get into a discussion about wvo  processing , I was nearly trying to bring attention that if you do burn wvo  then  there are areas that I was neglecting for a long time not realizing they need attention. My own processing begins with storing the cubes in my oil shed, I then wait for the heat of late spring and summer,  I have a large air compressor tank with one pointy end cut off, I then made a frame and this now stands up. I put a plywood shelf around this and I put 3, 4 cubes on there minus the box. I then drill a hole just above the line of gunk u can see in the cube. I then walk away for a day. The oil has it's first screening and settling. It then pours through another 45 gal barrel settling tank. When the system is full I fill up 45 gallon barrels. The ones I need to mix 50% veg and dino I only fill up to half. In the winter I have to bring my barrels in to the shop to thaw out for a week.  My lister has a day tank where it settles more, I then have a fuel filter with a stick on 50 watt heater this heats the oil and is the last chance to drop the water out. It goes to the last heater a line heater on the injector line. That's it I haven't had much trouble. I start on dino and stop on dino.  X
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »
Oops guess I need to get my vision checked.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel