Puppeteer

Author Topic: Am I getting full rack travel?  (Read 1862 times)

Willw

• View Profile
Am I getting full rack travel?
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:36 AM »
Greetings all.
My engine seemed to be lacking power and I was having binding issues with the governor linkage anyway, so I decided to try replacing the yoke as per pictures I've seen here.
During this process I realized that the rack is not opening fully once all of the linkages are connected and adjusted per 38AC's method and I tighten the spring which opens the rack.
There is no external binding and everything is moving smoothly now, but about 60% rack is all I get before I can feel the internal governor sleeve reach it's full travel, so no matter how tight I make the spring the rack will open no further.
I have attached 3 pictures showing the rack in the No Fuel Position, Fully Open with the linkages attached but held open against the Governor Sleeve, and 100% open with the Vertical Linkage disconnected.
Does this seem normal?

Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Am I getting full rack travel?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Yup that all you get with the CS governor and more than you need. The original design actually  used a rack limiter to further limit the travel except when starting, something India chose to dispense  with
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:36:39 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »
Thank you very much sir.
That's one more issue solved. I'm moving on to the next one: fitting the gibb keys :)
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
I did something similar with my injector pumps. I used Chinese rod ends from eBay to complete the linkage. Works perfectly.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence