Puppeteer

Author Topic: Purchased Used Lovoson 12/2 in non-working condition (Fuel trouble)  (Read 946 times)

andreaskc

• View Profile
Re: Purchased Used Lovoson 12/2 in non-working condition (Fuel trouble)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
If the pintle isn't seating then there's probably something in the way!

Don't force it, you may well bugger the seat, strip it down and clean it out, re assemble and do a 'paraffin' test, this one......

Just to be clear, the pintle seems to fit nicely into the body of the nozzle. When fitting the nozzle w/pintle onto the injector body, the two pins line up and the pintle flat end fits into the center hole of the injector body but there is 3-4mm of daylight between the nozzle and the injector body where the flat part of the pintle fits into the end of the spring. Pressing the nozzle down hard makes the spring go nowhere. I assume you should be able to depress the nozzle flush on the injector body?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Yea, I had called a few diesel injection pump repair spots in town. Almost all of them are minimum of $100/injector which is crazy close to the cost of a new injector.

Now I have two injectors to tear apart without fear of rendering them useless!

Yup, same as here, for just a bit more than the cost of having one injector repaired at diesel shop  you can have two new MICO Bosch injectors delivered to your house

Just to be clear, the pintle seems to fit nicely into the body of the nozzle. When fitting the nozzle w/pintle onto the injector body, the two pins line up and the pintle flat end fits into the center hole of the injector body but there is 3-4mm of daylight between the nozzle and the injector body where the flat part of the pintle fits into the end of the spring. Pressing the nozzle down hard makes the spring go nowhere. I assume you should be able to depress the nozzle flush on the injector body?

Pressure against the pintile is what makes the injector pop off instead of dribbling fuel.  Thus if you did not loosen the top screw(smart thing to not do if you dont have a tester) the tip will not go back flush under hand pressure, you have to push it back with the nut that holds the nozzle  being certain that the dowel pin stays aligned with the hole in the nozzle.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:12:47 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

andreaskc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
Is there a torque setting on the nozzle nut? Do you put the rest of the injector holder in a vise? Doesn’t seem there is anything else to grab onto other than the top which would alter the pop pressures?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 06:28:18 PM »
yes you vise the nozzle body and i have never torqued the nut other than good'n tight.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 11:28:55 PM »

In my repeated experience with the Diesel repair industry, there is nothing that is not completely worn out and in need of total rebuild.
Nothing only ever needs a new spring, a clean or a simple fix. Every single thing anyone brings to a repair shop is totally stuffed and requires a full and total rebuild at full cost.

The way diesel mechanics go on, it's a wonder they don't insist their workshop change the rear brake pads and rebuild the Diff as well when you take a diesel vehicle into them with ANY sort of a problem.

I remember a mate years ago had his IP rebuilt.  Couple of weeks later the thing was stuttering again so he rang them up and booked it in.
Got a call later in the day the thing was totally worn out and would require a $4K rebuild.
Guy that did it weeks before was on his day off and this guy was on holidays when it was done so never realised their shop had done it weeks before.
The new butthole my less than Patient and diplomatic mate tore them when he went back was classic.  The problem turned out to be some sealing compound they had used ( and never should have) when they put the pump back together that broke off and blocked a passage.  Thankfully it was a 10 min Job to take the back cover off the pump in situ and remove it as it was obvious. 

So much for the Stuffed pump requiring a rebuild.

Another guy I know had the same problem.
Had the pump and injectors done before setting off on his interstate holiday.  Got here and the thing is running like a pig. Takes it to a place and they say it's all worn out, needs new Pump and injectors.   Pulls recipt out of glove box and tells them to get stuffed. Limps to another guys place who was on the local Veg oil Forum. He takes the fuel line off, unscrews the fitting and they find some crap in the IP screen.  Obviously careless and dirty work by the diesel mechanics as the Pump has a new filter sitting 30 cm away that is clean. Again, another 5 Min job to find, clean and replace and the thing is running fine.

Diesel mechanics are not people I trust to give me a truthful and honest opinion of the condition of an IP or injectors.
The industry standard is EVERYTHING is always completely stuffed and needs a full rebuild.
There are no other possibilities with them.

andreaskc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »
Ok, so I went ahead and ordered 2 new injectors (thanks Gary!). Just trying to test them out and not figuring this out yet.....

I've hooked one injector up to either high pressure line and not getting a squirt from the end of the injector.

I've bled the lines. I poured a little diesel into the 2-3inch tube on the injector. I've cranked the heck out of the engine... nothing, no creak, no squirt. Fuel comes out of the high pressure lines w/o the injector hooked up. I've bled the fuel out to the tip of the high-pressure line and then attaching the injector tightly. Also, I am not putting the injector into the engine head yet. I'm wanting to see/hear the injector work. Am I missing something here? Should I be looking at the fuel pump? Is there a way to measure their pressure?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
FWIW, when I had similar trouble with a half-hearted squirt, a bit of a "creak", occasional small smoke etc etc - I bought  a new pump and a new injector and away it went straight away.

IMHO they're not really pricey items and replacing them takes you out of that cycle of half-informed diagnosis and guesswork and frustration

Just my $0.02.  And good luck

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
Am I missing something here? Should I be looking at the fuel pump? Is there a way to measure their pressure?

Try the other injector as well.
If you get the same non result it's pretty clear your IP is also stuffed.  Long as you give the system a good bleed and have a reliable fuel supply, they should work.
 I can put some fuel in a bit of hose into the Filter housing  ( You have checked fuel IS getting through the filter Right? ) wind the thing up an bit and it more or less self bleeds and the injector starts firing pretty quick.
Shouldn't be that hard to get them to work if the Pump is OK.  As said, I'd replace the IP as well because then you go back to 0 hours on those components and won't have to worry about any poor performance or failures for a long time, maybe ever again.

They are a Diesel, EVERYTHING  relys on the fuel system with them.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
Hello there,

It's not so hard and complicated to take an injector apart. If you take the old ones apart for sure you will get the point how it works, you can clean the tips in clean fuel and give it a try. Just work clean. If you cannot get them to work you can order some new tips.
For the new injectors full throttle and keep spinning to get the air out, on top/side of your fuelpump there is also a bleeding screw just to be sure there s no air left there. It sticks out in 45 degr angle. If you work clean don't drop parts on the floor you can take everything apart without getting in to trouble.

Regards Bernhard

toydiesel01

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 12:30:09 AM »
Where do you order a new injector and pump? Just wondering