Puppeteer

Author Topic: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.  (Read 13787 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
anti-spatter aerosol spray  :)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
anti-spatter aerosol spray  :)
Don`t use that expensive sh1t anymore, a mate who is professional welder, swears by olive oil spray which can be bought in any supermarket for 1/4 the price. Works great.

Bob

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
I gathered up all the bits I need to Make this happen...(Power of Positive Thinking ;))  So tonight after work my plan is set.

I will keep you all posted.

I do not have any Anti-Splatter Spray, or Olive Oil Spray so I will go for the old can method to avoid the splatter...

Thom

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
Good luck with it Thom. It didn`t work for me first time, the weld broke once and I stripped the thread on the stud rod the second time. Plenty of lubrication and washers recommended. Take your time and if it still won`t move tension it and apply plenty of penetrating oil, leave overnight and tension again in the morning. Heat is your last resort but can do more harm than good if overused. keep us informed.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 01:02:47 PM »
Way to go Glort, the gentle use of a persuader can be very effective (shame we can`t use them on politicians) Another trick I have used successfully in the past is freeze spray. I haven`t seen it in Australia but in the UK it was commonly used to freeze water pipes where no stop valve was available. They come with a sealed bandage which you wrap around the shaft or pipe, you then vent the contents off the freezing canister into the bandage. The solvent evaporates very rapidly dropping the shaft/pipe temperature to approx. minus 30 degrees Celsius. Very good for sealing water pipes and shocking stuck components out of their slumber. A bit pricey but ok as a last resort.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Way to go Glort, the gentle use of a persuader can be very effective (shame we can`t use them on politicians) Another trick I have used successfully in the past is freeze spray. I haven`t seen it in Australia but in the UK it was commonly used to freeze water pipes where no stop valve was available. They come with a sealed bandage which you wrap around the shaft or pipe, you then vent the contents off the freezing canister into the bandage. The solvent evaporates very rapidly dropping the shaft/pipe temperature to approx. minus 30 degrees Celsius. Very good for sealing water pipes and shocking stuck components out of their slumber. A bit pricey but ok as a last resort.   Bob   

You can go too cold, and break things.  Common way to  steal bicicles, freez the lock with cold spray, whack it 1 time, and it shatters into dust
http://collections.dartmouth.edu/arctica-beta/html/EA02b-02.html

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 08:24:37 AM »
Good luck with it Thom. It didn`t work for me first time, the weld broke once and I stripped the thread on the stud rod the second time. Plenty of lubrication and washers recommended. Take your time and if it still won`t move tension it and apply plenty of penetrating oil, leave overnight and tension again in the morning. Heat is your last resort but can do more harm than good if overused. keep us informed.

Bob

I'm a fan of heat.  If you use a propane/MAPP gas torch you won't over-heat the hub unless you hold it for a long time in one place.  But if you heat all around the hub - alternating spots around it - until dirt/grease smokes off it and paint starts to sizzle, you'll be fine.  Even better if you do it while under a bit of tension from the puller.  All you are wanting to do is to expand the hub a very small amount so that its bond with the shaft is reduced.  AND, once it has cooled down, then penetrating oil will penetrate much more easily.  Tension, heat, penetrant . . . good luck

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »
And, as has been mentioned before, the best penetrating oil money can buy is homemade, 50% ATF 50% Acetone.  Works very well.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
Well attempt number 1 Fail!!  It broke the All-Thread, but the part that I welded on to the Key is still there and stable.  I left enough space between the end of the All-Thread and the hub to be able to get something behind it like Gib Key Tool. 

I have tried a few things so far, but still no movement.  I am looking to buy a tool, but close to $40.00 (Tool cost + shipping) is a lot for a tool I may only use 2 times, so I am still mucking about in my Garage for something that may work instead.

I am not one to give up easily..believe me, so this too will one day be a fond memory on the journey of my New to me 24/2  LOL

I will take a pic later of what I am now working with and we can round table and throw out ideas  :D ;)

Just how long are the Gib Keys we deal with?

Thom
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:36:20 AM by Viking66 »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
For what it's worth.....

Tune the radio on to a station playing zydeco 24/7, get a cold one..........

Assuming all thread is what I know as studding, continuously threaded round bar, get a larger, much larger size.

Make an end cap for the shaft that will support the studding 'half on' the out board end of the shaft, after welding it to the gib head key.

Squirt plenty of 10% ATF / 90% acetone around the  place and grease the thread. put as much tension as you dare on the studding, making sure it stays parallel to the shaft. Keeping it all parallel is the key to gaining maximum force.

With the shaft at 12 o'clock, beat on the boss at 3 and 9 o'clock with 2 similarly weighted hammers, at the same time for a few seconds.

Have a good chug on the can, turn the radio up and repeat every few minutes, whilst doing something else, keep squirting the ATF mix on. Pack up when you've had enough, but leave the tension on.

Try again tomorrow.

The theory is that you will fractionally ovalise the bore, allowing the lube to travel along the shaft. I've had some success with similar methods removing marine propellers and couplings from stainless steel prop shafts.

As Butch said, if there's room try and drive the flywheel towards the crankcase, with the tension on. Above all take your time, more beer and zydeco.......

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
The learning curves with such problems are pretty steep and often people get themselves in real trouble before they stop but at least you are not at that point, LOL.   I do realize that the average owner isnt going to invest in tooling like I have to do one job but there was a reason for the grade 8 spec for bolt or all thread in my post. 8) Remember that if it wasn't stuck hard the head would not be off of the key to begin with.

I had an engine in my shop that the owner had manged to mangle the key, shaft and flywheel so bad with weld, holes, and beat and bang that  I had to take the engine down and pull the main bearing housing crankshaft and flywheel as a unit.  I then had to saw and then break the main bearing housing  off the crankshaft.  I welded the key to the crankshaft and everything went to a 50 ton press to side the flywheel off the key. What a mess!  I once again go back to,, study what your about to attempt and dont make the problem worse!!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:27:04 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
Hey Viking66, like I said before My first attempt didn`t work either I also managed to the snap the all-thread. I simply ground it off and welded a new piece in place and tried again. Gibb key came out on the second go. I suspect that the heat from the welding process may have helped loosen things.

Above all else avoid Stef`s advice to consume dangerous quantities of cold beer. It does nothing for the gibb key and irritates the sh1t out of the wife. :laugh:

chin up mate,
Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
Don't be too alarmed by people who decry the use of beer whilst engaging in the fine art of Bush Engineering. It slows down the whole process, allowing for further cogitation after retiring early with the lads to argue over who's made the biggest cock up.

The same people probably confuse zydeco and prozac...............

Cheers

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
I do like Zydeco Music and actually have some on my phone that can play  8)  I do like beer, and shots of Crown on a fun get together.  I don't drink during the week though.  I have way to much to deal with at work, and it's so much easier not nursing a Hangover...LOL

To the matter at hand...here is what I am left to deal with.  Also I had some steel plate in my Garage and a friend has a big Ban Saw so we cut a tool.  It needs adjusting and I need a bigger hammer, but it may yet work.  If it doesn't I will get the next bigger size Allthread and try that route again.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
Not much hope of the wedge working on a badly stuck key... I've used that method when fitting keys, but it didn't work for me for a stuck key.  I have one of the monster gib key pullers from Rajkot (I think) that Mike Montieth sold, a huge square threaded screw in a steel drum which pushes on the end of the crankshaft, and has a thrust bearing.  With a 4 foot steel rod it has not failed, so far.