Author Topic: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.  (Read 14008 times)

Viking66

• View Profile
Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »
Hi Everyone!!!

My name is Thom and I live in South Louisiana.  I have been reading on this forum for a good while and have enjoyed everything so far very much.

I have always liked Listers and Listeroid type motors since I first saw and heard them.  I was recently lucky enough to purchase a whole Motor/Generator unit.  I am trying to determine if it is a 12, or a 16 HP.  It has a 20KW Generator Head with it and the pair look to been together a good while.

Are the any easy determining factors on which HP it may be?

Once I reduce the pic sizes, I will post a few pics of this beast.  The entire unit, Motor, Genhead and frame all weigh in at 1710 pounds.  They had an industrial scale at the place I picked it up from.  They were nice enough to satidfy my curiosity and weighed it for me  ;D

Thom
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:12:16 PM by Viking66 »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Greetings All!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »
 Welcome to the forum!
While most anything is possible out if India the bulk of the engines that are rated at 12HP have the 139.7mm stroke of the CS. But have up sized 127 or 130mm bores and are rated at 1000RPM.
The 16 HP engines that I have been around (3) have a 160mm stroke and same 127 or 130mm bore.
The crankcases are taller  and the cylinder blocks are taller on the 16 HP engine and all I have seen are D.I.  I can measure some blocks later if you wish, not at the shop right now.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:21:36 AM »
Thanks 38ac!!

I measured the Crankcase and it is 18.25” and the Cylinder Blocks are 9.25”. The Flywheels are 20” x 4”

Some basic measurements on this one.  The PO has converted it to no COV.  It appears he either replaced the Heads, or has the blocked off very nicely.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
I have never seen an engine rated higher than 8HP with a COV but once more, anything is possible from India and I certainly haven't seen it all. I will measure some parts this evening and post.

I think it is pretty much a given that western standards do not apply to parts and assemblies from India but it would seem to be less known that moral and/or ethical standards are not western either. I was exposed to that part of the equation early on in my India engine experiances when I drove 5 hours to purchase what I was told was a India VA clone. The fellow who imported it knew better but was trying to palm off his misfortune on somebody else. He talked to an exporter and told them what he wanted, a VA clone. India says Yessir! send us some cash!  They sent him an air cooled Petteroid that had two flywheels and a tag that read 6.5HP and 700RPM,,, BuXXshXX!!! I bought the engine only because it was a curiosity.   What all this has to due with your questions? About the time a person assumes ANYTHING with India they will step out and make a liar out of ya, LOL.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »
Hi again!

I re-sized the pics.  I am hoping I do this right so you can see this beast.

I read on the Power Line site that Flywheels that are 20" X 4" are on the big 24/2  Mine measure very close to this.  The width is 4.07"

Here is the chart I am referencing:

http://www.poweranand.com/slow_speed_lister_type.htm

I tried to start it tonight, but my battery wore out, so i am re-charging it. :)  I will try again tomorrow.  I left the fuel feed open hoping that maybe gravity will get the lines totally filled overnight.  It may work.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
Ooops, scratch everything I said, I assumed your were talking about a single cylinder engine.   :P

12 and 16HP twins have stock CS bores and strokes. The main difference is RPM. 12HP at 650 RPM, 16HP at 800 RPM.  If the engine follows CS specs the 12 will have cast iron pistons and COVs while the 16 would have aluminum pistons and COV blanking plugs, The pulley sizes on your setup indicates it is a higher speed engine.  You set the engine by the Hz on the head, not voltage. If the engin eis running much over 800 RPM at 60Hz I would change pulleys myself as I am no fan of higher speeds and the CS design.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:24:56 PM by 38ac »

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the response 38ac.  I am very familiar with Generators.  I have done several re-builds on both Onan and Kohler Generators, so I am very familiar with setting by Hz, but thanks for pointing that out.  The gold generator in the background of the first pic is a recent Kohler build I did.  It has a Lister ST3 on it.  Needed new Rod bearing and a few other things and a good cleanup, runs and generates perfectly!

As you can see from the normal engine grime and stuff on this motor it is, or was a runner for a good while.  My understanding is the man who owned it died and the family was in the process of selling things off none of them wanted or needed???

I am going to continue to get it running today after work and then I can gauge what RPM it is currently set at.  I am with you.  I do not want it running at 1000 RPM.  It will be interesting to see once it fires up.

My plan is to make it look nice, make a cart of some sort so I can at least move it around and go from there.

Viking66

• View Profile
Re: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:33:42 AM »
I am getting it to turn over nicely but it will still not pop over.

I am getting some white smoke out of the pipe, so that’s a bit promising.  I pulled the Injectors and put a bit of 30 weight in but that didn’t get it to fire off.  Life is always an adventure  ;D

I have no idea how long it has been since it was started, so this may take awhile.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 02:26:31 AM »
 Are the injectors making a creaking noise when you crank it over with the fuel rack open?  If not you either have air in tbe lies or stuck pintles from sitting. A other things g that happens often when engines have sat a while is carbon falls off and gets stuck under the valves and they leak. Take a soft mallet and rap on the top of the rockers. This open the valves and knocks the carbon off.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
I believe they are, but I will ask a friend to crank it over and have a good listen for it.  It seems to get to that point where the compression is high enough to make it fire, but the starter/battery/my arm just cannot get it past that one point where it is about to fire.  My Nephew is a strong young man, so I am going to ask him to come by and crank on this beast some...LOL

I was happy when I found a small part I had noted as missing was found  :)  I was removing some dirt and yuck and I noticed the part.  I was happy.  It is the part on the rocker arm that holds the brass cap so you can apply grease there.  The brass cap was also there.  I was thinking it may be a difficult part to find by itself, so I saved a little time and cash for my further efforts!

I do appreciate the advice by all  ;D :D ;D :D

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Borrow your wife's hair dryer and blast a bit of hot air down the intake that should lite it off with less damage  than starting fluid.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:40 PM »
Success...well sort of  ;D  I got it to run on one cylinder using a combination of hot air from my wife's blow dryer as suggested...Thanks, and some WD40.

Not sure what going on with the 2nd cylinder, but I have seen this beast run so now I am happy.

I know I can get the 2nd one working, but before I do I plan on doing a major cleanup of things.

I do not have a water source connected to this engine yet, so I only let it run maybe 30 seconds at the most.

My friends who were by to help loved it, even with all of the exhaust it created...LOL

I will keep everyone posted on things go.

Thom

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 11:46:36 PM »
...I do not have a water source connected to this engine yet, so I only let it run maybe 30 seconds at the most....

Just cap the bottom water pipe, and put an elbow and a bit of riser on the top pipe and fill it with water.   Then check the crankcase and make sure no leaks into the oil.     
You have just made a water hopper for keeping temps under control while test running .  I wouldn't run more than 10 min or so like this, but it will buy enough time to get the 2nd cyl lit.   Not sure, but WD-40 may be using Co2 as propelant, so only blow it in alternate cycles.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »
Thanks, I will put the water in the way you discribed.  My neighbor who was there said his Dad who worked on Diesels used it so we gave it a try.  It worked so I was happy just to hear it run, even if just one cylinder so far :D

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »
I was able to get it to pop off in the 2nd cylinder today, but it didn't stay going.

I am going to go through the fuel system and clean things up real good and give it another go.

I also noticed that oil pressure gauge is not working and I do not think the pump is working, so that is also on the agenda.

Tomorrow is an off day, so I will have a lot of time to goof off and get all dirty...LOL

Thom