Author Topic: Arrow k6  (Read 1594 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Arrow k6
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
Bravo!  Pictures and/or video, please!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 01:06:32 AM »

Yes, definitely like to see a good long vid of one of those running close up.

If you put a vid on YT, when you get the guaranteed inane fuel consumption questions, give them an answer in KJ, cal or Cu ft.  just to put the stupidity of the question in context.    :laugh:

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
I'm having a change of plans yes I love this k6 petteroid, haven't got running proper yet but am now thinking, and working toward using a k301 Kohler. Thinking of running ng at around 1800 rpm. It is a 12 hp engine and hoping at that rpm will develop enough power for my needs. I'm using a Honda at 3600 rpm and it drives me nuts after a while when I work in my shop. I also picked up for cheep a 10 hp and a 14 hp Kohler. These are old and obsolete engines but we're very popular so there are many parts. That is my concern with the petter I paid $100 and after some minor parts I'm into it for several hundred. A kohler though heavy about 170 lb it dosent  require a crane to lift, so sorry guys don't mean to be a turncoat but buying an American product can't be bad, after all the saying isn't make India great again
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »
I'll just keep rambling on as not many are interested in Kohler engines. But this relates to the k6 because I now found the sweet spot to convert the Kohler carb. I took off the float bowl and with 3/8 drilled out the high speed idle jet where it goes from the float bowl to the venture In the carb. I then plugged the high idel adjustment screw. I had to plug another hole from the float bowel. The 3/8 copper tube I shoved in to the newly expanded jet and intruding in to the carb 1/2  inch. It runs good I have full throttle and govenor control and now I can open the choke compleatly. Before with the 1/4 inch line I couldn't open the choke. I had similar issues with the petter, so now I have new insights into my next experiment with the petter. But now to get the Kohler a frame and mount a generator so I can park the Honda.
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »

I'm not understanding how the carb regulates the gas mixture.  What type of carb is it? Is there a needle that goes into the main jet Like an SU  to regulate the gas feed or will this be set up for a constant speed Load?

I take it the gas is pressurised so unlike liquid Fuel it will be admitted at the same rate regardless of the airflow.  Must be something different about this setup i'm not thinking of.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »
Mr X
Don't worry about rambling, almost everything that gets posted on here eventually turns up a nugget of interest. If, like your 'ramblings' on Kohlers and gas conversion, they are engineering based to start with, so much the better!

Keep it coming
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »

I'm not understanding how the carb regulates the gas mixture.  What type of carb is it? Is there a needle that goes into the main jet Like an SU  to regulate the gas feed or will this be set up for a constant speed Load?

I take it the gas is pressurised so unlike liquid Fuel it will be admitted at the same rate regardless of the airflow.  Must be something different about this setup i'm not thinking of.

I bought one of those Chinese trifuel carbs for Honda they were so inexpensive I bought 2 at 26 bucks each. They have a demand regulator so the more vacuum created by the motor the more the fuel valve opens. I stole the demand reg from the spare carb and mounted on the Kohler. It seems to run it fine. I since bought a demand reg from USA it cost lots more, about 125.00 Canadian. I built a frame and today should be making power. The carb I'm using is just the stock gas carb from Kohler but I drilled it out so it's now only lpg or ng.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:45:26 PM by Mr X »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »
It purrrs, I got this beast hooked up and producing power, running at 1800 rpm. I still have to fine tune the gov throttle but it has no problem running what I'm guessing is a 3500 watt gen. It dose this without making the noise the Honda makes. The Kohler wants to vibrate around the room so u should see the concoction of crap I employed to get it to stay put. More fine tuning to come. As always when u diy stuff. The funny thing about this motor is I've had it parked in a shed for at least 10 years, and because I was blinded by the slow speed bug I just didn't see it as a possibility as a prime mover. Sure I  have the listeroid and have burned thousands of gallons of wvo but I'm so tired of messing with it.  Every 1500 hr tear down and decarbon, usually a 2 day job. My old bones don't  enjoy it much anymore. I just hope ng stays close to $1.00 gigajoul or I may be back to running the roid.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:17:40 PM by Mr X »