Author Topic: Automatic Remote Control Generating Sets  (Read 7069 times)

Kilcoy

• View Profile
Automatic Remote Control Generating Sets
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »
Hi everyone,
Have you ever saw one of these? I have a few 6/1 and 8/1 SOM but never saw one of these. Original base and all the serial numbers match. I got the original manuals that came with the engine too!
Best regards,
Malcolm

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Remote Control Generating Sets
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
Aloha Kilroy,

I think that you have what many of us would rate as a "Score".  Very nice indeed.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
A rare find, lot 1140 bought at auction?

Lister CS twin startomatic sets are rare, and IMHO you have the best CS of the bunch, the CS16/2 engine (fitted with an even rarer exhaust manifold).

Any chance of more photos?

The one thing to watch out for on these twin cylinder startomatic sets is the flywheel key on the drive belt flywheel working loose. It can and does happen on the single cylinder startomatic engines, but on a twin your transmitting twice the power and the key/keyways are no bigger. Additionally one of the flywheels is unique (due to keyway positioning) to the twin cylinder engines.

Kilcoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
Hi all,

I bought it at a farm machinery auction. I could hardly believe it when I saw it and that it was original Lister with the correct engine and alternator numbers on the base plate.

I always wondered if 16/2 self starting units existed. Is this a SOM then?

I was ready to bid big money for it and couldn't believe when the hammer dropped for £450 !!!

I'll get more photos in the next few days.

Mal

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:13:37 PM »

I always wondered if 16/2 self starting units existed. Is this a SOM then?

It should be, but I cannot see the startomatic components that you would expect to see on the engine, these will be on the side closest to the alternator. Lets hope so for your sake they are present, because these parts are unique to the twin cylinder startomatic sets.

I was ready to bid big money for it and couldn't believe when the hammer dropped for £450 !!!

Luck was on your side that day  ;)

I'll get more photos in the next few days.

Can't wait.

Having looked at the photos in more detail this engine would have been radiator cooled. The style of water manifolds, and two unused studs (for water pump) on the crankcase and behind the flywheel. Are all indicative features of a radiator cooled engine.

If you PM your email address, I have stored away somewhere some photos of a twin cylinder startomatic set that would show this detail, and hence give you an idea of any parts you be missing. But please be patient as this will take me some time to find.

Kilcoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »
Here are a few more photos. If you need anything particular let me know.
I see from the serial number its a radiator cooled model.
I managed to get speaking to the seller just after I bought it. He bought it from the factory where it worked. He never mentioned the radiator but I must ask again.
Mal

Kilcoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
And a few more.....

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
/\ You've got mail!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
Radiator mounts above the flywheel on LH side above the pulley. Rubber hoses and a few brackets plus the radiator and its hood with fan assembly should be available from a donor machine. I should have some pictures around of that setup. Good find! Congrats!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:27:46 AM »
/\ Agreed, here is one right now on ebay uk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-LISTER-CS-3-5-1-DIESEL-STATIONARY-ENGINE-RESTORATION-PROJECT-BARN-FIND/132511106414

Somewhat pricey, and it doesn't even have the shroud (hood), but you get the idea.

The problem will be obtaining the correct water pump, and this item may as well be made from unobtainium due to its rarity. The good news is that the same item can be found on JP and CE engines.

Here is a link to a bare water pump on ebay UK at present: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-CD-CE-ENGINE-WATER-PUMP-BODY-good-used-023-05517-/251319190727

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
On the 6/1 radiator-cooled design there is not a requirement for water pump... just a belt drive for the cooling fan and thermo-syphon does the rest.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
That's right, and the radiator will fit straight on, however I doubt the radiator would give sufficient cooling when set up for thermo-siphon. Hence why Listers equipped the twin Lister CS raiator cooled versions with a water circulating pump.

Kilcoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been really busy here the past few weeks.

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and bought the water pump housing from ebay although I have not received it yet. Would anyone have a photo of this fitted to the 16/2?

I've attached a photo (hopefully) of a twin with a radiator but don't see the water pump?

Is the rad on a 6/1 the same size as the rad fitted to a 16/2? I have a rough 6/1 with a radiator that I could rob the parts off.

Thanks again for the help and info!

Malcolm

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »
That setup has no waterpump. Interesting manifolds, I wonder if they are original?

If you're worried about the thermal capacity of a thermosiphoning system, you could put 2 rads on it, 1 per cylinder, and just keep the two water circuits completely separate... that way, you're only cooling 2x 8x1 engines :) Not sure how easy it'd be to fit a fan to the second radiator though...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

sinna42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
I know this is an old post, but I just found it today while searching for info on my gen set.
What a great find !
I have recently acquired a Lister CS 12/2 Gen set with a 7.5kVA (6kW) head. It Dates from 1952 where it was installed in a farm in East Lothian. Serial no 2861022.
It is a remote start unit very similar to this one I think. But the really odd thing is it's only fitted with a Fuel Control Solenoid & an Engine Speed Sensor (microswitch), so there is nothing to operate the Changeover valves & nothing to operate the de-compression levers !
The Changeover valves are different to the normal 3/1 & 5/1 types which are concave - mine are most definately convex.

I'm hoping that Malcolm could sent me a copy of the manual shown in his first photo - 585/1260. This is what I've been searching for !
I've sent you a PM.

For interest attached are photos of my CS 12/2 in it's original position.
Farmer needed space to garage a very nice Testa P100D car - who says there's no money in farming ?

Cheers,
Jim
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:42:06 PM by sinna42 »
Lister CS 3/1 1938, Lister CS 3/1 1939, Lister H4 Pump, Coventry Victor AN4 Mk1 1944, Gardner 1L2 1962