Puppeteer

Author Topic: The future of electric Vehicles.  (Read 61019 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Re: The future of electric Vehicles.
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
Overnight charging with L1 and L2 chargers should be reasonably well tolerated by the utility grid . Daytime charging while commuters are at work , not a good idea .

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2018, 01:04:33 AM »
Another issue that has been completely overlooked is the availability of parking in urban areas. When I lived in London only the very wealthy could afford off street parking and a home with a built in garage was exorbitantly expensive. Ordinary mortals, like myself, had to find parking on the street. So how am I going to plug in my EV to charge? Are the government going to dig up every road in London to install charging points? What are the health and safety implications of having every pavement covered in electric cables, who will be liable when someone trips over one of these and injures themselves? Who is going to maintain these cables to prevent the general public being electrocuted?

Too many questions, not enough answers.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
Hey Glort, I recently saw a review of the latest BMW EV, it comes with a wireless charger as an optional extra. You just park your vehicle over the floor mat charger and walk away. I guess BMW owners are too important or too busy to plug in their cars. What sort of exposure the drivers will get to dangerous radiation is any bodies guess. Bruce would have a fit.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2018, 04:56:45 AM »
Air coupled transformers are grossly inefficient, besides spewing huge stray magnetic fields.  Another triumph of the wireless marketing over all reason.  Imagine sacrificing 20% or more efficiency in charging a car, as much power as your entire home uses, just so you don't have to use a cord.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2018, 05:46:02 AM »
You can be bloody sure that If you have one of these thing lying on your driveway some Muppet is going to run over it with the lawn mower, killing themselves and knocking out the power to the whole street.

There is nothing green about an extra 20% loss in efficiency. In the EU they banned high power vacuum cleaners because they were too inefficient and yet they are actively promoting this sort of pointless sh1t.

F*cking speechless!

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »
Wireless charging devices of all types have been proposed for many years, yet still "new" product promotions are made in the usual fashion made on a regular basis.  Most of them are lucky to get 60% efficiency. Even using resonant coils at higher frequencies, it's still grossly inefficient.

There is a reason serious engineers have been using stacked or wound silicon steel (aka electrical steel or grain oriented electrical steel) sheets for power transformer cores the last 98 years...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
Hey BruceM, once again you are a fountain of knowledge and FACTS. When are we the dumb sheeple going to hand over control of science, engineering and the environment to people who have at least some modicum of understanding of the challenges facing humanity? I am really worried that those presently in charge are more interested in their personal wealth and social standing than the welfare of the ten billion people they are supposed to represent. I don`t see any of this ending well.

Still F*cking speechless, thank God I can still type.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
Hey Guys, I am, I think, beginning to get a handle on how this is going to work: government will slowly outlaw IC engines and coal fired generation, in the name of environmental greenness. Big business and energy producers will slowly but surely build huge solar arrays to harvest the sun`s energy. All good so far, the problem has always been storage for night time/cloudy day use. Guess what, it won`t be the responsibility of the energy supplier, it will be the home owners responsibility to supply and maintain enough energy storage to power there home/EV & etc. This leaves the generation companies free to continue to rort the system without any guarantee of continuous supply. It allows the government to claim green credentials while continuing to tax people for their energy usage.
If you are poor and can`t afford the necessary storage you get to sit in the cold and dark, no doubt there will be some emergency night time power available at a hugely inflated price.
I can see the greedy B*stards rubbing there hands together thinking how clever they are for duping the sheeple again, watch your backs they`re out to get you. Investigate energy storage solutions and hope for a miracle.
Still F*cking speechless
Bob

guest23837

« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
Apparently they can charge batteries wirelessly too. You'd have coils connected to the grid on main roads probably to reduce the risk of people running out of juice but if it were to happen I'm sure it would be at a cost. I know there's phones you can charg without a wired charger so the technology exists. I was reading somewhere the other day that they (they being car manufacturers) can modify a diesel engine exhaust to such an extent that a 2.0 diesel pollutes less than a 1.0 petrol. Maybe too late for the diesel now? I used to have an Audi A4 diesel but they changed the insurance rules in Ireland so nobody will cover a car over 15 years old in an affordable way. My car was well maintained old change every 6k all repairs done immediately they were needed it was sold for scrap.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
All wireless power transmission of the sort being discussed is based on the horribly inefficient air core transformer...with massive stray magnetic fields.  Technically foolish and biologically harmful.

it's very frustrating to watch the whole world get caught up in wireless and connectivity hype, while watching increasing numbers of people become ill and disabled from wireless.  The new push for 5G is an outrageous disaster in the making.  The 5G "small cells" are NOT low power, and they have manipulated legislation so that they can put 2K watt worth of transmitters on light and power poles right outside your bedroom.  There's that annoying bit of physics that all transmitted power falls off with the square of the distance; which is also why complaining about cell towers while using cell phones and WIFI in the home is irrational.  A broadband RF meter quickly helps you learn what you can't see or immediately feel.

The same falling off with the square of the distance applies to magnetic fields from transformers, power supplies and coils and such; often just relocating them somewhat can make very big differences in your daily (and nightly) exposure levels.  The night time exposures are especially important.

There's some very high quality research showing pulsed microwaves open the blood-brain barrier; given our well documented high levels of xenobiotics in our bloodstream this might help explain a lot of problems and alarming disease trends.

When helping with home mitigation there are two things I find most important. First, I look for low hanging fruit where 10 fold improvements can be made and do those first. Spending a bunch of time and money on small improvements is not productive.  Second, the typical non-placebo response is a slow improvement in health over the following 90 days after the home is fixed.  It is not an on/off switch, the health effects are deeper and more systemic.  Improvement in sleep quality is a very positive sign that someone will be getting better, but often there is just a very slow and steady improvement.

For some reason, it is very hard for most of us (including myself) to want to deal with the EMF situation. It's technical and scary, never a popular combination.  I only got started about 29 years ago when someone visiting me showed me a meter and the readings in various places.  The biggest hurdle is getting started.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
Sensible rules the EPA would breath life into the new and old diesels . I do not condone billowing  black smoke from exhaust stack but neither does the air coming out of the engine have to  be cleaner than the air that went in . Tier 1 is fine for under 100HP in light duty intermittent, standby or hobby applications

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
Thanks Johndoh for the link. I have to assume that the system is not running at grid voltage so probably something like 48 Volt DC, going to burn out a lot of brushes and produce horrendous radio interference.
They only have a bit over one mile of this track, A vehicle traveling at sixty miles per hour is only going to get just over a minute of charge. I predict huge traffic jams caused by people slowing down to get a longer charge.
I wonder if this sort of stupidity is being funded by industry or is the tax payer picking up the bill?
In the article it states that road side detectors energise the track only when a vehicle is detected, the vehicle owner is then billed for the charging they receive. What sort of relays are they using to energise the track and how robust and hacker free will the wifi detectors be?
Hundreds of thousands of miles of roads in Europe, how much is this going to cost? I think I`ll take the train and walk.

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »
Thanks Johndoh for the link. I have to assume that the system is not running at grid voltage so probably something like 48 Volt DC, going to burn out a lot of brushes and produce horrendous radio interference.
They only have a bit over one mile of this track, A vehicle traveling at sixty miles per hour is only going to get just over a minute of charge. I predict huge traffic jams caused by people slowing down to get a longer charge.
I wonder if this sort of stupidity is being funded by industry or is the tax payer picking up the bill?
In the article it states that road side detectors energise the track only when a vehicle is detected, the vehicle owner is then billed for the charging they receive. What sort of relays are they using to energise the track and how robust and hacker free will the wifi detectors be?
Hundreds of thousands of miles of roads in Europe, how much is this going to cost? I think I`ll take the train and walk.

Bob

All electrical things are beyond me so the technology for this is way above my head. I like diesel engines the power, the torque and the fuel economy are great. A few years ago there were a couple of biodiesel plants round here one made diesel from waste cooking oil and another from rape seed and algae. Then the crash came and diesel prices dropped by about 40%. These were very clean fuels and probably environmentally good or neutral at worst. Of course the guys making the diesel were on pennies to the liter and couldn't compete with OPEC and then the frackers and sand oil guys got going. Now diesel is going up a couple of cents twice a week but the biodiesel plants are closed. Bugger

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:11 PM »
Hey Glort, very interested in your idea of having the Chinese reverse engineer a superior Listeroid. Trouble is you can be sure the government would ban their import to protect the environment (protect vested interests).
I`ll be very surprised if China don`t already make them. I`m sure a quick look on Alibaba will reveal the truth.

The good news is that I have finally had my income protection insurance claim approved. Only took 18 months! That will give me the money I need to complete my Lister 6/1 rebuild. Rob at old timer engines is going to think it`s his birthday when he gets the parts list. I will start to post pictures of progress once the spares arrive.

Bob