Author Topic: USed Furnace Oil  (Read 6428 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
USed Furnace Oil
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:06 PM »
I just converted from oil to propane, in my house and garage.

There was fuel in the bottom of the two tanks, and one was red tagged fro rust - it was only 15 years old but the insurnace and enviromental police have gone nuts...which caused me to switch

Question.

The oil that came out had a bit of crude and rust in it.   I have transfered it to a 45 Gallon white plastic chemical barrel, and I suspect that I have also some water in the mix.

The oil fills the 45 gallon barrel to 1/2 way.   So whats the best way to clean it up and store it?

Was goin to let it sit for the winter in my heated garage and let it settle then hand pump out the good stuff and run it through a filter or two or three.  then mix it with regular diesel to burn in my generator... I have about a weeks worth of reserve right now. 

Any other suggestions or products you guys suggest?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: USed Furnace Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
Hi,

Settling will help, but there is often a considerable amount of water in suspension... heat it to 95C, then slowly creep the heat up to 100... the water will boil of vigourously, pretty much like a chip fryer...keep circulating it vigorously... once at 100, take it up to about 110 and hold it there for about 15 mins or so... Stop stirring or circulating, let it cool down to around 60, then take the top 95% or so... leave the last 5% as it will have most of the dirt in it... if possible, use a funnel shaped container to allow for the least amount of wastage, you can generally reclaim 90 to 95 % of the top oils(by height, the crud settles out in the lowest 5 to 10% of the container quite quickly) ... Settling takes place whilst it cools down from 110 to 60C,... once  top is drained off, filter it warm if possible to get the last few bits out... remember, this wil take only solids out of suspension that are larger than your filter rating, ie 10micron... any contaminants in solution can only be removed by chemical separation or distilling....

Hope this helps...

Regds
Ed

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:20:33 PM by EdDee »
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »
Yeah just want to get the rust and crud from the tanks out....  anything left can just get burnt off in the roid as it makes power
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
Yeah T19,

Boil, cool, settle, syphon and filter will do it fine then!

That's about all I do with my reclaimed sump gunk to burn it off... you shouldn't have too many salts in suspension to mess u around either....like u have in WMO..

Regds
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:23:50 AM »
Wow I wrote this a year ago... Well hope to start shortly

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:30:35 PM »
Lol.....

Update...... take it to a few 100 degree C, catch the smoke in a condenser and u got the sweetest distillate ever....

Done a few loafs now, as long as things don't go boom, its pretty boring.....

Have fun....

Ed....

PS...only attempt if you are insane, suicidal, lucky, or just plain nutty...[I fit in all categories]

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
Hey Glort...

I have just been avoiding keyboard things like the plague.... Been kinda con/de-structive in the workshops getting things in dis/order as far as I can.... Hopefully that will be coming to term soon, so I can get onto the fun stuff again!

Cheerz
Ed