Author Topic: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge  (Read 2893 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm thinking Elon or his his buds anyway just haven't seen the rule of 70.  The first step, in most programs, to work or cure a problem is to recognize it and say "Hello, my name is Casey.  I abuse the doubling of stuff and refuse to change my ways!" 

The common second step is to blame others and turn the thermostat up to 74.

Elon and Zuckerburg have enough math to understand this principle completely.  And Bill too.  Interesting the big swingers in pop culture all started with studies in mathematics.  Plastics of the 21st century.

I noticed that the rule of halving wasn't discussed. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Ha, yes, all we need is a modest 3% reduction in population every year.  Quite politically palatable.  ;)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
If you accept that people only live to a maximum of 100 years, then it stands to reason that for a stable population 1% must die every year, matched by reproduction also at 1%.
Anything that increases mortality or decreases fertility would have a positive effect. Medicine is bad, contraception is good. The jury is still out on same sex marriage.
Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »

No Doubt this will prove me to be the cruel mongeral bastard I am but anyway.....

I have a real problem these days with this " Save the staving Children " type charity/ programs etc.

When I was a small boy, I would go to school and put .2C in the sock like all the other kids and we would have these fundraisers to send money to feed the starving, give them medicine, teach them to read, whatever.

50+ years on, I still see these appeals and do gooders all trying to save the still staving children.
To my way of thinking, If you have been at something 50 years, spent billions on it and the problem is still there, it's a fail and you need to take a very different approach or just walk away.

Further more, whom are these starving Children? I see that they now come from some different places but the majority still come from teh same places they did when I was a kid.
What did all those .2C I and all the other kids at school donated achieve? Did we save some Kids? If so, are these kids not now the ones starving or in fact more likley, their Grandchildren?  Did we save anyone from hunger or just perpetuate the problem so MORE kids went on to suffer and have no  food or clean water?

Sorry, you won't catch me giving 1 cent to these causes not because I think they are bullshit.  If there are still starving kids after 50 years and I'm pretty sure they were trying to save them well before I came along anyway and there is still the same problem or as the appeals tell me, the problem is growing worse, then it's time to shut the whole thing down, stop and take a good hard look at why it's failing.

My grandmother always used to say they would do better to sterilise these people first and feed them second and as politically incorrect and horrific as that sounds today, I can't say I disagree with the idea.  If you can't feed the people you have, then clearly the first thing is to stop the problem growing.

One thing I would be happy with in population reduction is what we have discussed before here, trying so hard to stop the idiots killing themselves.
If they are such weak links in the gene pool, let nature takes it's course!  If they can't keep themselves alive, then they shouldn't be relying on others to do it for them.

One thing to have people wear eye and hearing protection, quite another to have to drum it into them not to use a power tool while standing in a swimming pool Or have to tell them not to ride a motorcycle over a cliff.

I am always amused by the " Don't try this at home " warning.
I don't have a race track at home, I don't have a 40ft tower in the back yard, I don't have explosives, or so many other means to do what they are doing at home anyway.
I often wonder if by " at home" they mean you should do it at someone elses home? Maybe at work?  Often they aren't doing the stunt at their home so maybe they mean I should go do it in a carpark or on some vacant land like them.

I wish they would be more specific an d tell me where I should do the stunts I can replicate.
I am on the lookout for a bicycle to put up on the roof of the house and rind it off onto my mate lying on his back on the ground, lesgs apart to see if it does really hurt him or me.   Have to do it at his house through cause the vid I saw said " Don't try this at home"
They must know it will work better at my mates place. !

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »
I guess we are both cruel bastards then. I completely agree that the money that has been pumped into these organisations has failed to alleviate the problem, indeed you could argue that it has made the problem worse.

I object very strongly to tax payer funded overseas aid when we still have so many problems of our own. Charity begins at home.

As for being subjected to harrowing pictures of starving children on the TV, while I`m trying to  eat my dinner, makes me furious. If these charities spent less on administration and more on service provision I might begin to take them seriously.

As for the corruption of the governments in famine hit regions it beggars belief. I remember the Live Aid concerts to feed the starving in Ethiopia. They shipped millions of tons of grain there to feed people, suddenly the cheapest place to buy grain on the world market was Ethiopia. No doubt a lot of corrupt port officials made a killing. I believe one of the biggest buyers was McDonalds.

F**king speechless,
Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »

You raise a couple of other pet peeves of mine Bob.

Seems to me the second some back arse shiphole has a tsunami or a stiff breeze, we have millions and millions of $$ to send them at a moments notice.
Of course there is NEVER  ANY money to feed or help the homeless, enough housing for low income earners, look after pensioners properly, fix schools or pay for another doctor in a country hospital or a mile of other things badly needed right here at home.
Always money to give to someone else, especially those that would like to blow us al up given half a chance but never any money to fix the problems at home.

Pisses me right off.

Your comment about the grain is interesting.  I always wondered and was annoyed we gave these people money and not goods. I mean WTF are you going to buy with money when there is nothing left standing to buy it from. Probably take said money and spend it in a country other than the one that gave it to you because you can get the materials you need cheaper else where.

If we are going to give money away, why not be just a tiny bit smart about it and instead of giving money, use it to buy a locally made product that keeps the workers in a job or gives some that aren't something to do and keep your own economy rolling along. send the good on a localy oned ship, load and off load it with aussie workers and give them something they can use right then like hammers, nails and timber not cash where there is nothing left standing to supply it.

As a lot of these places we rush to help are corrupt little hell holes where the grand Poo bah lives in luxury that makes Bill and Don look like paupers while the rest of the country owns 2 chickens, 3 goats and a transistor radio between the 7 million of them, there should also be some observers sent to see the relief gets to where it's supposed to or it's shut off and sent back the minute something sus goes on.  Said observers packing .223's and wearing flack jackets over their camo uniforms would be the right start.

I'm all for helping others but even the most brain dead idiot could figure out getting your own house in order before you went worrying about your neighbours would be the logical and obvious thing to do.

As for the starving kid shown at dinner time, ever notice the parent holding them looks good and fat like the Turkey for Christmas dinner?

That parent or their parent was probably one of the starving kids my generation saved and look how well fixed that problem turned out to be....  Oh, err, wait.... ummmmmm.........  Well the parent with the Nike Runners and the Iphone 6 isn't too hungry at least

I wonder how they will peddle these charitys and their monthly donations to the next generation......

"This is Xenxbu. His family were evicted from their mud hut because they couldn't afford to buy dirt. now xenxbu is homeless and has no food or water. Some times xenxbu  can't check his facebook or update his status for several days at a time because there is no where to charge his phone.
No child should have to suffer like xenxbu.  Please give generously so Xenxbu and his family can afford taxi fare to go 120 miles into the village and have their phone charged.  For only $25 a month, you can let xenxbu live a normal healthy life with a charged battery and unlimited credit.  Why not dig further into your heart and soul and make a contribution of only $9254.73 so the tree xenxbu lives under can have power connected with a USB outlet so xenxbu can again text all his friends, check facetwitgramsky and lead a healthy normal life like any other kid living under a tree with no food or water.
Could you say no to this carefully selected forlorn looking donation raising face??"                                                                               

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 11:39:31 PM »
Hey Glort, quality rant. I`m with you about giving money rather than genuine aid. Giving money is easy: first you set up an appeal fund, second you deduct 70% of the donated funds for administration, third you transfer the remaining balance to some corrupt official in the effected area. All of this can be done at a computer console in an air conditioned office. No effort or skills required.

Sending genuine aid would require multilingual people skilled in purchasing, shipping and distribution. Far too difficult!
Please don`t misunderstand me there are some very good organisations doing this sort of work, Medicine sans frontier and the Fred Hollows foundation spring immediately to mind. I would have added Oxfam to that list but recent revelations about sexual exploitation by aid workers in effected areas make my blood boil.

Many years ago, while living in the UK, I had some dealings with the Prince of Wales Trust, a charitable organisation set up to provide training and opportunities for disadvantage young people. A very worthy cause you might think. I was invited to a meeting at their headquarters, on arriving I discovered a row of 20 or more shiny new Mercedes Benz motor cars in the car park. No doubt one for every executive on the board. I very quickly found better things to do with my time.

There are some very well meaning and committed people out there who devote their time and energy to helping others. The problem, as usual, is that the management/executive classes see these organisations as a career opportunity with deep pockets. They exploit this to benefit themselves rather than the poor sods they are supposed to be helping.

Still F**king speechless.
Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »

I have had little to do with charity's, not much because I'm too much of a mongeral to be concerned about others, but the dealings I have had have been real eye openers.

I was asked to photograph an annual charity ball for a well known supermarket chain. I was doing a lot of these things and it never ceased to amaze me how elaborate they were and there never seemed to be an effort to economise on things like food, drink and entertainment but other smaller vendors like myself were always given the " it's for charity" line no matter what quote you tendered.

In dealing with the head organiser whom I do believe truly had his heart in the right place and worked his arse off on his own time to make this happen, I was accidentally sent the budget sheet for the event.
Holy Hector!

The band was like $10K. the floral arrangements about the same. There was a list of stuff like printing menus and place cards that ran a heap more unnecessary dollars, decoration hire at a price that had to be taking the piss, coverings for perfectly upmarket chairs, it was an upmarket function centre it was being held in, and so it went. I'll admit, I don't understand this game but to me, there were so many needless things on that list that could have been cut back on or deleted all together without lowering the quality of the night or in fact anyone probably noticing. That would have meant additional tens of thousands of Dollars going to the cause rather than being absorbed in overheads. I subtly mentioned this to the head guy after the event and he agreed but said he was only the figure head of the committee and other people thought they had to have it all and he was outvoted.

In fairness, the night cost about $250K and raised a bit over mill so it could not be said it was not effective but I could not help the feeling for the most part, it was really an excuse for people to have a pissup and a great night out largely at guests company's expense or at very least, a tax write-off for themselves.

Getting that spreadsheet was one hell of a help and an eye opener to me though. My quotes literally more than doubled for that sort of work and if there was even a hint of lowering my rate, i'd hit them with a few ball park figures of what I knew these events now cost and tell them I was less than 2% of the overall budget and then point to the glowing references I had and the list of companies I had worked for.  I never had to cut a cent off my prices again.
Yeah, I got in for the kill like everyone else but I sure as heck wasn't earning what most of the other people in that room were ( and certainly werent driving what they came in) and wasn't like anything they saved with me wouldn't be squandered elsewhere.
Besides, my kids who worked with me on these things deserved the best I could do for them before I worried about anyone else.

I did a lot of corporate functions as well where they spent huge sums on the event, one where they gave everyone there a high end laptop for coming BUT, that was coming out of the company's coffers and there was never any suggestion they were helping anyone than themselves which was fair enough.

Another Charity I was involved with was fun and then incredibly sad and frustrating at the same time.

I came across a bloke selling used computers on fleabay. I had a requirement for some of these low power machines  so I sent a message, how much could he do me 20 for?
He gave me his number and it turned out he worked for this charity that helped disabled people with various appliances and engineered products. It might be something like a ramp for the back steps or a special crane to lift someone in and out the bathtub and they did a lot with Modified Bicycles for kids.
This guy had won over a few gubbermint departments to donate their old IT gear to them and they would refurb it with the help of volunteers and onsell the PC's mainly to make money for the charity which was multi divisional.

I got a good deal on some other computers because they weren't selling any anyway because they were too low power and the guy literally had pallets of the things. They suited what I wanted so I bought 20 at a good price and another 10 were loaded in the wagon because there was space left over! I was also given a couple of huge old servers because there was no way to sell those. Very handy for my purposes though. One of them weighed 80Kg, pulled 3000W of power and took a good 5 min to boot up the 16Hdds which sounded like a gas turbine aircraft winding up. I think it's total storage capacity was about 800Gb ( less than my not so new PC at the time) but it did have some astronomical amount of RAM.

The guy running the computer division was truly a do gooder of the best kind. A real solid, upstanding nice guy. I was given the royal tour of the place and it got me to thinking.  Their problem was really one of marketing and promotion.  I did some head scratching, got the splinters out my fingers after wards and got back to the guy with an idea.

I went back with a load of my gear and will all the experience of 20+ years of commercial and advertising photography behind me, shot these computers so they looked as good as a fresh Chocolate cake. I was asked if I could do a photograph of a piece they had just finished engineering so rather than the crappy snap they were thinking, I took it into the office which was now a studio and shot that too. Then I saw a board with the staff head shots so I set up for that and got them all in small groups and did the best pics most had ever had. Then I saw something else and went round and shot most of the place for their up coming annual report.  Spent the day there and you would have thought I had donated organs not  a few pictures.

I re wrote the Fleabay ad, the guy used the pics I took and followed my advise to offer a guarantee on the machines and sell them as complete units with screen, KB etc which they had. I did up a simple page on their website and a mate set up a drop down ordering system where they could add options, pay by CC and the company would get an order sheet printed out complete with shipping label to slp on the thing as it went into the dock for the courier.

Suffice to say they sold more in that next 7 days than they had in total in the 6 months they had been going and it snowballed from there. 
The other part of my cunning and brilliant plan was to contact other charity's whom operated OS and offer them these Machines at a good price.  I knew  from a mate that many of these places up north in New Guinea and the islands were lucky to have one old half working machine in a whole school. Having a machine that was loaded with teh standard office type suite and some other programs would be light years ahead of what they had even if it was near useless here. They were even keen to get old tractor printers and lasers that they could afford were a dream come true!

That worked nicely as well. They guy pushed it well and worked hard on it and before they knew it, their biggest problem was getting the machines out the door fast enough. They were selling them by the pallet load as well and had a waiting list.
There was still the problem of the unusable machines and things like old UPS systems etc.  I pulled some strings with brother in law who was in management for a waste company and he put me on to their recycling division and an associate in that.  Another small section that did a LOT of work was set up and staffed by some handicapped people whom pulled the machines to bits and sorted the components. CPU's and ram got good money as did HDD's  and heat sinks when stripped and sorted. Steel back then got decent money too and the left over plastic was taken away for nothing as part of the deal. They went from 4 old retired guys coming in a couple of days a week to this great big table seating about 16 people with all the helpers they could muster and a few more people just sorting and packing stuff in the warehouse and keeping the guys whom were reloading and checking the machines supplied.  It was going like a very well lubricated with dencorub machine.

It was all nice and cosy except for one thing like in a fairy tale. The director of the place was a complete and utter arsehole and every demeaning name you could think of as well. The guy was clearly out of his leauge and knew that the person that should be running the whole show was the guy he spoke like crap too. 

The big problem was this blowhard director had been elected, on a huge salary, on the promise of raising millions a year and expanding the charity, quadrupling it's " clients" and had done nothing but send the joint into a spiral.  The computer guy on the other hand was a very quiet achiever and now just short of 12 months into setting up his idea,  was now making 4 times the revenue of all the other departments put together.
Of course blow hard knew he was out his depth and who was threatening to take over his job even though that person wouldn't touch it.

The upshot was the director did all he could to strangle the computer dept and made it so hard the other guy left. So did everyone else in the department when they heard the other guy was going and a few more from other places in the company handed in their resignations as well.  The foundation then outsourced the " business" to another charity who had no idea and it went down quick.
 The main foundation is still is going but it's a real 2 bit operation now.  I got a phone call a couple of years back from them wanting donations. I told them they would never get a cent out of me and exactly why... they had pissed their golden goose up the wall and abused it in a disgusting fashion and I would never have a thing to do with any organisation that let this happen to such a good and loyal person they were lucky to have.

I got a call back from the then director whom knew there had been a severe problem but by the time he arrived, there was no one left from that time to tell him exactly what happened. I sure filled him in!

He asked if I happened to know what became of the guy that ran the computer section before? I said last time I spoke to him he was moving interstate with his disabled daughter and was going to work with another foundation in SA. I told him, you could offer him a million bucks a year and you'd never get him back and I don't blame him.

One moron did so much damage and undermined all the good work of another outstanding guy and all the other morons whom were his buddies in the organisation let it happen.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
What a shame that some a**hole always has to spoil things, No doubt he got a promotion and pay rise as a reward.
Reminds me of my time in the military where the only way to get rid of a useless individual was to promote them. You would then be over quota on that particular rank and they would be posted elsewhere.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
Yes to you very hard and very very bad asses of the world.  Keep a large segment of the population poor and ignorant.  It's the only moral or smart thing to do with them all.  They will continue to over populate and live in shit holes (just quoting the head screwball).

We will be able to set around on our self-righteous pompous parts and feel superior.  Yes, your assessments are valid and words with which to manage the universe.

Rant on my privileged brothers and sisters.  Rant on!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
Not interested in going into politics glort? You'd have my vote. You're not alone in your thinking fellas.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
We shouldn`t encourage him but Senator Glort does have a sort of ring to it. :laugh:

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »

Pffft! Could you imagine me in Politics?
I'd be assassinated the 2nd day.

50 of us together -might- survive for a while but one on their own would have no chance.  Too many vested interests with too much power behind the scenes pulling the puppets strings to make them dance just as they do to the steps they want them to do.

Me with some power, Ha! I can only Imagine.....

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »

Pffft! Could you imagine me in Politics?
I'd be assassinated the 2nd day.

50 of us together -might- survive for a while but one on their own would have no chance.  Too many vested interests with too much power behind the scenes pulling the puppets strings to make them dance just as they do to the steps they want them to do.

Me with some power, Ha! I can only Imagine.....

Not to mention the speeches, oh the hours long speeches.  ;D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
You could start your own party, then you get to choose which vested interests you want to be bribed by.

First speech should start "We`ll fight them on the servo forecourts."