Puppeteer

Author Topic: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge  (Read 3514 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Donald John Trump
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
Where are these trains going to go and what will they haul ?

They will carry people inter and intra city.
They can carry Grain, coal, ore, livestock, heavy machinery, food, manufactured goods and everything else they now send by road.

Trucks are a complete menace and scourge of our roads. Here they make up 12% of the vehicles on the road and are responsible for over 40% of serious accidents. There is not a day goes by without a truck accident makes the headline news.  Transporting goods by rail is far more efficient and removes a lot of traffic, long haul especially.
Different  taking merchandise from the rail head to the point of delivery than across states and country.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »
Why do so many people complain about corporate decisions whilst blaming the government?  These failures are a function of the corporate capitalistic model.  Great bait and switching but just not valid.  (A word associated with truth.)

I wonder how the battery powered trucks are going to affect trucking traffic.  This is going to be a really neat ten years.  I hope I make it just for curiosity's sake.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 12:39:34 AM »
Why do so many people complain about corporate decisions whilst blaming the government?  These failures are a function of the corporate capitalistic model.  Great bait and switching but just not valid.  (A word associated with truth.)

I wonder how the battery powered trucks are going to affect trucking traffic.  This is going to be a really neat ten years.  I hope I make it just for curiosity's sake.

How will battery powered trucks can travel cross country.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 12:45:22 AM »
Where are these trains going to go and what will they haul ?

They will carry people inter and intra city.
They can carry Grain, coal, ore, livestock, heavy machinery, food, manufactured goods and everything else they now send by road.

Trucks are a complete menace and scourge of our roads. Here they make up 12% of the vehicles on the road and are responsible for over 40% of serious accidents. There is not a day goes by without a truck accident makes the headline news.  Transporting goods by rail is far more efficient and removes a lot of traffic, long haul especially.
Different  taking merchandise from the rail head to the point of delivery than across states and country.

If door to door rail transportation worked and was cost effective . Rail would be used for short haul instead of trucks. Rail only pays for Hub to Hub transportation of goods in sea cans. Or bulk cross country transport of crude oil, coal, grain etc. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
Why do so many people complain about corporate decisions whilst blaming the government? 

Maybe because here the gubbermint OWNS the railways, not private companies.
The gubbermints are as usual bribed and make arsehat decisions based on the profits of their supporters in big biz, not on what is the best and most sound decision.

I think it was you that put forward the example of oil being brought to your island because there was a back end on the transport cost rather than using the abundant geothermal energy available.  Same thing. Gubbermints do what makes money not what the best decision is.
I imagine our gubbermint makes a lot more on registration for trucks, fuel excise, stamp duty for insurance and a load of other things than what it would  supporting the ( now well dilapidated) rail network so that's what they do.

Gubbermints and Big biz have one overriding agenda,  MAKE MONEY.

I wonder how the battery powered trucks are going to affect trucking traffic. 

I don't see they will affect it at all. You will have the same ignorant moron drivers who think they own the roads piloting the things and doing stupid shit and complaining about the ever tougher laws being imposed trying to stop them killing themselves and other road users.  They will still be chewing up the roads, clogging up the roads and still representing an inefficient means of long haul transport. Truckwits will still be sooking about the high cost of rego, insurance and thinking eveyone else is on their roads. No doubt they will still be proving their low IQ by making moronic arguments like " If trucks didn't deliver to stores the shelves would be empty" like food and retail goods are the only things they transport.

I'm sure they will continue to break speed limits, drive over their hours, act like arseholes, cut other drivers off and represent a completely disproportionate amount of serious road accidents.  I don't see the tool the industry uses will change anything to do with the ingrained beliefs and attitudes not the mentality of the largely Low IQ members the profession attracts.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 02:40:42 PM »
Is that because trucking companies are all private enterprise. I guess pollies make popular decisions to try and regulate road transport because self regulation for most enterprises has proved to be a failure in the past. Mostly because there are reams of rules but nobody to bother policing them.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
I'm guessing here glort.  But I'd suspect that Australia is much like the US in publicly owned assets.  Here in the states they are managed by publicly owned corporations.  That includes CEOs and board members with all kinds of "other" agencies. 

I'm from the camp that believes that without consequences the hope for change is stupid.  I worked in a privately owned home for unhappy teenage boys.  "No Consequences - No Modification of Behavior." was our favorite mantra.  These kids were already operating in the corporate model.

Mother Truckers are everywhere.  You just have bigger trucks.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »
Is that because trucking companies are all private enterprise.

I think it's a significant actor but not the only one.
Certainly there is a lot of corner cutting by companies and independent operators.  Pressures are put on delivery times and maintence of vehicle can be appallingly behind. They have checking stations on main highways here for things like overloading and safety issues and what they catch just beggars belief but they do it every single day.  The trucking industry is like certain religious groups that say one thing publicaly but have a completely opposite agenda and attitude amount themselves.

Here the biggest trucking company in the country is Gubbermint owned. It's Australia post.  Their drivers behaviour is no better than anyone elses showing it's more the attitudes of the Low IQ drivers who can make big bucks at the wheel and certainly a lot more than their general lack of education would get hem else where.

I have been into the truck stops and the " Truckies only" lounges and heard the attitudes first hand. They really do see every other driver as a pest they have to put up with but treat and think of with the most contempt possible. As long as what they are driving is bigger than other vehicles on the road, their egos will be satisfied by having an offset to what must be the small Penis syndrome many suffer. How i's powered will be irrelevant.

At the big engine show last year there was a truck show in the same showgrounds.  They ran the 2 shows together so I hopped on the shuttle wagon that was being pulled round by an old tractor and rode that through the truck show.  Talk about boring!
All these trucks have the same chromed, bought from a catalogue parts and the pot bellied, middle aged, blue singlet ( Wife beater) clad middle aged beer swilling high school dropouts were standing round talking about the same boring crap by the hundreds, literally.
I didn't even get off the wagon and I'd seen enough.

I guess pollies make popular decisions to try and regulate road transport because self regulation for most enterprises has proved to be a failure in the past. Mostly because there are reams of rules but nobody to bother policing them.

Not quite that here.
Every time they make a new rule affecting the truckwits they go up in arms and start the predictable sooking about higher costs passed to consumers etc.
The rules are always aimed at reducing the accident rate and the public backlash from that. There is not a day goes by here without a truck is involved in a major crash and fatality. Never.  Many aren't reported in the city but in the country where news is a little less biased and the grapevine news runs strong there is more covereage.

The rules are made more stringent which the truckwits complain about but the thing is they are not obeying the ones in place or are circumventing them.
Here all trucks are supposed to be limited to 100 Kmh.  Can't begin to count how many times I have been sitting on 110+ by the GPS accurate to 1 Kmh and had some truckwit blow by or sitting on my arse trying to hurry me along. The speeds the cops catch these morons is insane.
Tougher restrictions, heavier fines and the truckwits have their usual hard done by sook.

Another thing here is logbooks to try and stop these idiots driving 20 hours a day and falling asleep at the wheel. That's just a log book the drivers fill in atm so little to stop them cooking said books. they know where the check stations are so know what they can get away with. You see lines of trucks just up the road from checking stations because they HAVE to take a break before they cross because they have driven so long even with the BS entries they can't do it any more.  With trains the Driver, with a dead man button, can only go so far and has to rest. The accident rate with trains is infinately lower than with trucks.

Electric trucks may remove some of the heros from the industry. When they can't make a noise and the trucks have things like distance separation and other things that reduce their  ability's as weapons and are quiet and don't make noise, a lot of the truckwits may go on to other vocations more suited to their abilities.... like digging holes or working the stop/ go lollipop signs at roadworks or stacking Boxes at the fruit market.

Policing here is extensive because it's a real revenue cash cow. The truck wits do all sorts of things to reduce costs and make up time.  there has been many cases where trucks have been found to have brakes disconnected in order to save wear on brake shoes etc.  There was a case about 2 years ago where a truck pulled into a check station that reaked. Inspectors found the underside of the thing covered in faces. The bright sparks whom owned it and drove together cut a hole in the cab floor so they could defecate as they drove along and didn't need to stop for that.  A subsequent investigation found holes in their log books miles wide and they were given a lengthy suspension before being caught driving again only months later.

Trains would alleviate a lot of these Human problems as well as the ones of highway congestion and safety.
Maybe something like max Distance for trucks and goods could be implemented so that goods going over a certain range HAD to be rail transported.

Clearly the consequences here are not enough. If they were of sufficient weight that  3 strikes ended your driving career or transport business permanently, then things may change.

Here's a great clip of the moron, sook mentality of Oz truckwits. They are real tough till they come off second best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9nHsgV39M