Puppeteer

Author Topic: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge  (Read 3728 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
The amount of radiation from Fukushima leaking into the ocean is how much compared to natural occurring potassium 40 ?

So You are happy to go to the disaster site and work on the clean-up then?   ::)

Clearly, You do not understand the real problem and what is the dangerous part of the situation. Here's a heads up, it's not the radiation per se but the particles which are in the micron size and hundreds of tons of material that has been turned to dust and dispersed around the world.

You should read up on the subject some more so as to not make flawed statements and show ignorance of the disaster it is.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 12:09:25 AM »
You've got to look out for those cruise missiles armed with natural occurring potassium 40.

Once you start to understand how many people suffer and die because of tobacco, alcohol and sugar every year all over the world you start to understand how innocent war is.

Sleep tight.

Tell us how much time that you have spent inside containment at a nuclear power plant.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 12:51:21 AM »
The real problem with safety of these plants has and always will be human error. Engineers assured the public, when these things were built, that the chance of a major incident was less than a million to one. so Fukashima, Chernoble and Three Mile Island  makes three that I know of. Thus it stands to reason that there must be at least three million of these plants operating.

A second problem is disposal of radioactive waste. This material will remain hazardous for tens of thousands of years. Can any one think of a way of marking a burial site so that humans thousands of years in the future will know not to dig it up?

The third major issue is that the engineers designing and building this sh1t had no idea of how to decommission them at the end of their life. They went ahead and built them hoping that improvements in technology would provide a solution. It hasn`t, the consequence of this is that we have now have dozens of plants that have or are reaching the end of their useful lives. The structures are made of concrete and steel and will probably decay away in a thousand years or so. The radioactive waste inside them will still be a hazard in tens of thousands of years.

So the promise of unlimited cheap electricity was a lie. If you remove government subsidies from nuclear generation coal, gas, hydro and solar are all cheaper. If you add in the costs of waste storage and decommissioning we are looking at the most toxic white elephant in human history. Incredible as it may sound, governments around the globe are still planning to build more of these poisonous money pits, further evidence of the stupidity/corrupt nature of our leaders.

Grumpy Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 01:04:53 AM »
Countries are like long queues of traffic, the are invariably led by the slowest and least competent
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 04:27:57 AM »

All VERY well said Spot on Bob.

The 3 million comment was a gem!

Goes with my indignation when they say " these new ones can't/ Don't have the same problems as the old ones yet the old ones that know are flawed are never shut down.

I really don't think the way things are going the waste is going to be a problem in even 100 years.  Couple more of these things go up the right way and there will be nothing on earth left for it to be a problem or threat to anyone.

Your last sentence about building more is possibly the ultimate example of human stupidity.
There are quite a number on the drawing boards ATM as well as a good amount that have been identified as being highly questionable from various safety POV yet still allowed to operate.

When the next one goes up it will be the same BS all over again. They will find it was an accident everyone knew would happen but no one did anything real and effective about  and we'll get the same denials and insults to our intelligence from the vested interests.... if the media, largely controlled by those with a stake and their mates, even give it a mention. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 06:15:59 AM »
I really worry that we are leaving future generations with a toxic and polluted planet. Carcinogenic air, sea full of plastic, all useful resources used up. A fiery, poisonous hell hole.

How did we achieve this in such a short time? Greed, stupidity, unaccountable politicians and over population.

What can we do about it? A total change in the global economic model is required. Chasing ever increasing growth, in a finite environment, is madness. Why has no one figured out that what we need is no growth and a massive decrease in population. Imagine how well off we would all be with the same amount of money and resources shared out amongst half as many people.

I am not advocating for war, famine or disease but if we don`t do something soon you can be absolutely sure that nature will. Locust plagues always start with excessive breeding and end with famine and extinction.

Still grumpy Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 06:24:41 AM »
Hey Glort, if you have a spare hour or so watch this, it`ll scare the sh1t out of you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOykY2SMbZ0

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
I concur Bob, both on nuclear power operations safety, waste disposal, true cost of power produced and the obvious need to immediately begin reducing human population if we are to keep some quality of life on this planet for future generations.  Alas, humans don't like coping with collective type issues or beyond their own immediate, puny lifespan. 

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »
I try and keep in mind that the single most powerful population control, besides the government of China, is personal wealth.  As the wealth of the people of a nation rises the birth rate falls. 

As for the big die off that's coming?  Who knows?

Oh yeah.  Folks that are pro atomic power just don't understand the human population or how long 20,000 years is.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
I just finished the YouTube article.  Really an eye opener.  Well worth the watch.

When we're all millionaires we will have cured the problem.  It's simple math.

Thanks for the link.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks Bob for that link. I just watched Prof. Bartlet's presentation myself.  He did a great job.  We are living in a Ponzi scheme promotion.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
Thanks guys, its a pretty impressive lecture. Highlights a lot of the problems we are facing, sadly it doesn`t offer any solutions.

I hope that by alerting people to the reality of what is going on some of us will be prepared.

Perhaps Elon Musk isn`t crazy wanting to go and live on mars.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »

I have seen that, if not something that equates to the same conclusion before.
I think it's inarguable. THE soloution to the worlds problems is ultimately don't keep endlessly putting more people on the planet.

Round here, they are planning on 33,000 new homes in the next 4 years having started on teh target last year.  you drive around and see whole hills and valleys far as the eye can see being formatted basically into suburbs and you can see what that picture looks like in reality.
Pretty scary and the stupidity of it is plainly visible.

So hell bent on more and more but never much on fixing the problems and getting things right before they go further.

As for Musk, to me he's nothing but essentially a con man and one of the very people driving this ever more and more  mentality.
I will be interested to see if he and his company are even around in 12 months time.

He has proven many times he can talk things up way beyond his ability to deliver on them. The clock is ticking and he's burning Big cash.  It's pretty much crunch time now. If does not start delivering on some of these promises and hype, He's going to go down as just another big talker but unable to deliver.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »
Yes, I agree that Elon Musk is all mouth and trousers however I find it alarming that so many billionaires are researching ways to get off this planet, rather than spending their money on trying to protect it. Do they know something we don`t?
Bob