Puppeteer

Author Topic: More panels!  (Read 2740 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: More panels!
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
Some of the window films as Bob suggested are very good optically and will perform similarly to double pane glass- doubling your window R value to about 2. 

There are plenty of sun angle calculators online for shading.  Deciduous trees can be quite marvelous for seasonal shading.  My Siberian Elms now shade my summer patio from the eastern sun so that it does not heat up.  West walls can benefit greatly from deciduous tree shade or vines on trellis when insulating them adequately isn't possible.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
Up here on the coast at 50* N it's quite  cloudy in winter. Around the winter solstice, even if the sky is clear, the sun does not rise above the trees, so we get no solar input. Same for the solar collector for water heating, though the woodstove takes over that chore from October to April. The Listeroid comes in handy for topping up batteries then, and logs about 300 hours annually. We are using about 2 to 2.5 kwh per day.
Re: heat loss through the windows.......even curtains drawn at night help a lot.........and wife likes them! Double layers help even more. Our biggest heat loss is from opening/closing/opening the doors for our old dog to go in and out. Sometimes he can't make up his mind.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2018, 03:26:52 AM »
> Our biggest heat loss is from opening/closing/opening the doors for our old dog to go in and out. Sometimes he can't make up his mind

That sounds like feline behavior   :D

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »

I looked into the window film.

Seems it isn't that great.  I had my doubts. It could only trap a little air between the film and the glass and seems that does not do all that much.

I'd like to go back to my original idea of removable frames with a transparent covering.  Going to have to be some big arse frames but the idea of doing all those little individual panes of glass in all the feature windows was never going to fly with the film. Take forever.

With 5 cats and a sooky dog, opening doors here can be a pain as well.
 Got to get round to putting in that cat flap.  Much better to open a 300mm sq hole in the bottom of the door than the whole damn thing.

Did a tally so far on the power for the month. Winter is not Kind.  Averaging about a 25Kwh a day Loss so far.
Did realise I have been forgetting to check one inverter and count it in my daily tally. that's the one with the latest ground mount that I tilted carefully and is doing far better per W than any of the others surprisingly enough.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing I forgot to include it in the tally.  Means I have been making more solar than I thought.  Does not change how much we have been using beyond that.

Maybe I'll look at tilting those south side panels afterall.
Which is the scary part.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
Film has the same effect of double pane; adds R1 to your R1 single pane. That cuts your loss in half.  An insulated shutter for night is much more effective but is a building project.

I only use film on one window (already is double pane) for the winter; the frame sweats too much otherwise.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

Had a Duuuh moment tonight thinking about this. Yes, a lot of what is discussed here stays in my everyday thoughts especially when it's something practical.

Instead of doing film on the windows or making up frames to mound a plastic film, I already have them, bloody flyscreens!
They are on every window here and while they don't cover the entire area of every window as there are still large areas of fixed glass, Just getting some sort of plastic and putting it inside the screen and sitting that back in the window would be a real good starting point.

Now, I just have to find rolls of suitable Film.  Not too wide, not too narrow, not to stiff, not to thin and weak.
Therein lies the challenge.

Was reasonably cloudy here today. Bit sad I wake up when it's still dark most mornings and look at the dawn checking for clouds.  Bout 7-8 am I have a fair Idea of the day but it's been sunny in the mornings and clouding over later. Did that today.
Was pleasantly surprised when I did my 4pm rounds to see I have made 3 Kw over all today. Wouldn't have expected that as I had the air on a lot last night as it was very chilly.

All up today made a worthwhile 41 Kwh. Surprising but very welcome.  Can still do reasonable power in the sun in winter but boy those over cast days send things backwards at a frightening rate.

Had an old friend come out tonight to see the place for the first time. Her kids and ours went to a pre school playgroup together and we have been friends ever since. She was marveling at the place and saying it was her dream home and how she would love something like this. I said sell the 2 Homes you have and you could have any place in the area plus Change which you'd need. She asked why and I said the running costs are significant.

I'm lucky because the panels are saving us significant money even if we are going backwards on power. Saved $12 on power TODAY and around $6-8 most days this month. I hate to think what my brother in law around the corner will pay for  his power bill this quarter. may be offset because I think he has a gas space heater but 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.  It's still all significant cost just to keep the place warm.