Author Topic: More panels!  (Read 9281 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: More panels!
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
13KW per phase is brutal.  Heat pump for heating when outside temps are 0C is a joke; most systems are on resistance heating at that point as I suspect yours was.  The duct losses are huge; often R1 insulation on leaky attic ducts above the insulated envelope.  It's as if most homes where designed by the power co. to maximize their profits, as well as the HVAC guy to sell the largest, most expensive unit, instead of designing the house to minimize energy use.  It's as if insulation was very expensive, and had to be maintained and replaced, so we must use as little as possible.

I think you're on the right track with night time zoned resistive heating.  Checking heaters with an ELF magnetic field meter and the AM radio will show you that the best heaters can be 100x lower.  The lowest EMF are typically the oil or water filled radiator type, or electric-hydronic baseboard types.  They have the smallest current loop area with a small element.  If they use diodes to create a low wattage, that screws the deal and you get lots of diode generated EMI since they didn't bother with snubber EMI supression.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
  The duct losses are huge; often R1 insulation on leaky attic ducts above the insulated envelope.  It's as if most homes where designed by the power co. to maximize their profits, as well as the HVAC guy to sell the largest, most expensive unit, instead of designing the house to minimize energy use.

I think you are right as usual Bruce.

I thought it was great having Ducted when we moved in but reading up on it, thinking otherwise now.  I'd probably go for splits when it falls over.
The whole idea of this master zone which is the kitchen/ family room and the biggest area of the house having to be cooled wen everyone is in 2 bedrooms at night is stupid.  I'm going to ask my mate about adding in another damper into the duct work so that can be turned off.

I think they have realised the problem with ducted now as the fashion in AC is multi headed splits. One condenser unit, Multi evaporators.
More efficient to transport the gas under pressure than the cool air.

The power company comment is spot on. 13Kwh on 3 phases and I didn't even have the temp above a cool normal air temp.  Had it at 21C just to keep the chill off the place. I have over 15 Kw of solar going and it can't keep up and the sole and only reason is the AC. When I don't run that I'm so far n credit with power and we make no effort to be conservative with it in any other way.

I was thinking with my daughter if I give her a fan heater I'll have to " Fix" it first.  set the thermostat to a max of 24 so she can't have the room like a sauna and take out the high heat setting so she can't run the thing flat out and suck all the power on the circuit.  She only has a small room so should be all she needs.

I'll try to remember to chase up the Aga distributor about those Burners Bob mentioned. I emailed them but got no reply.
Can't see why one of those could not be retro fitted to a regular wood burning slow combustion fire place.  If I can get one of those, I'll get an old Fireplace and test it and if all good, have it put inside.  Mrs wants a wood burner but playing lumberjack for my father is enough and buying wood is the most expensive heating of all.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2018, 01:52:20 AM »

I have been keeping a daily eye on my power use the last few weeks and it's certainly been interesting.

Few things I have learnt with the solar so far....

Winter drop off is substantial.
Here, I loose about half the generation I was getting in summer with the correctly facing north panels. As mine are summer tilted, I'm getting about 40% generation of what I was.
The panels that are not north facing do a lot worse.
The ones saving me atm are the temp setup which is 3.75 worth of north facing panels on a steep tilt.  Yesterday they generated a surprising 12 Kwh which killed even my 5.5 Kw array on the shed which is north but much flatter.
I still have another 1.25Kw of those panels I could add but it's getting more involved.  Putting them side by side along the edge of the garden means a 20M + span. It's another 20M back to a connection point. That's a long way to run leads to carry the power. Other thing is I'm at the limit of normal power leads already and from here on in it's going to be making up heavy duty cables.

I could double stack the arrays but that goes onto the lawn and starts making the place look like a lunar landing site.
There is space up the back behind the sheds I could easily do a ground mount and even make up another shed using the panels sealed together as a roof but it's than back to the running the power back to where I need it problem.  Shed isn't far away but that's already at it's wiring limit with what I'm pushing back from up there....  even now!

Keeping up with heat loads is the killer because it working exactly Opposite.
The hot water is a prime example. Using a lot more power than 2 months ago when I took it off peak.
The water coming in more than 10 oC colder so there is a significant amount of power increase there.  The weather being cooler means heat loss through pipes etc is greater. There is not near the sun beating on the thing reducing those losses. In summer I can barely put my hand on the outside of the thing in the afternoon. Now it's barely warm on a good day.  We probably shower a bit longer too. I have noticed our water consumption has gone up.
All the waste water goes into a couple of IBC tanks after it is processed which I use to water the garden. That has increased noticeably   I'm a Culprit of that, I like a long hot shower when it's colder weather.

AC seems to be sucking more power heating than what it did cooling even though the temp difference between the outside and inside target which I have made smaller ( 24 Summer, 22 Winter) is narrower. I have tried using the fan heater in the office more than the AC but the rest of the tribe have got used to a warm house and just hit the AC. Might have to get the fan heaters down and plug them in the living areas and just kill the AC at the mains for a couple of months.  Trade off would be which uses less power? I think it's going to be much the same really.

I am definitely thinking of an oil heating setup.  main thing is how do I do it without turning the place into looking like a junkyard or like something from an episode of " Preppers". Best I can think of is something on a trolley so I can wheel it away come summer when teh yard is used more and try and build a frame around it  and cover everything so it looks less visually offensive.

Adding more panels would be a diminishing return.
With all the north facing roof used, adding anymore panes east or west  for 40% rated generation is very inefficient. Come summer I'll be switching half of it off so more inefficiency.  That said, If I could add more north facing and do them at a winter tilt, I'd be in that.

Wondering now if my going with the flatter panels was a good one instead of tilting them up?
Crunching the numbers, I'd get about 3.5 KWH a day more if all the north panels were tilted to the angle of latitude.  That probably would break me even but, it's not cheap to do and comes back to my fundamental resistance to the idea being the cyclonic weather we get here.
I think I'm better off with them as they are and taking 1 or 2 options.......
*Pay the for the shortfall of power I have over the couple of months of winter, or,
*Have a temporary ground mount that I erect in winter.  real easy to do 5Kwh a day with this even with cheap, low output panels.
Another option I need to look at is fire up the generators! Could run the Lister  from 5 pm to 9 Pm easily. Even if only doing 2 KW output, that 8kwh a day would put me in the home straight. have to look at the induction motor to GTI again.

Atm I am Generating between 30 and 35Kwh a day.  It's still good power but as noted, the loads have gone up as well.  Throw in a few cloudy days as we have had where generation drops to 12 KWH a day and the good days are just playing catch up, not getting ahead.  We have also had a great run of weather so far.... at least from a solar POV.  May is supposed to be the wettest month here. It's 12 months since we first saw and bought this place ( already!) and I remember at that time everything was soaked here. We haven't had really decent and regular rain since.  I would doubt we got 10 mm of rain here over the Month.  Not sure what it was supposed to be but I'd guess being the wettest month would be well over 100 mm, maybe 200.

I have been looking at tube hot water heating but it seems the winter performance of that is less than ideal as well. Again in summer, likely to be boiling by 10 am.  Other alternative is an oil fired preheater.  If I got a large gas tank, I could fire that once a day or every few days and feed that into the main tank and save some KWH there.

One thing is for sure, I'm learning a lot about the considerations one would have to make going off grid.
A wood heater with a Wetback for hot water would certainly change things, a lot.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2018, 06:16:51 AM »
AC Heaters ?   Does your air conditioning use thermal coils for heating, or a heat pump?   Simple resistance heating has been surpassed by heat pumps, easier to move heat, then to create it.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:31 AM »
Most air heat pumps get piss poor efficiency below 40F.  They promise the world but I've not seen one yet that is worth a hoot here at 5600 feet elevation.  A friend got conned- and what he really got was resistive heat strip heating with forced air (the highest cost heating on the planet) all through the typical 15F winter nights and colder days. His electricity bills were hideous.

In the Phoenix Metro area, air exchange heat pumps worked great for our minimal winter heating needs.  It was very rare that the resistive heat strips ever kicked in.

For Canadian style winter heating needs, ground source heat pumps are king.

https://dandelionenergy.com/

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Hey BruceM, I`m interested in your experience of sensitivity to EMF. Recently a Telco build a telecom tower overlooking my property(approximately 400m and in direct line of sight). Since it went operational I have suffered depression and fatigue. Today my wife drove to town and reports that she does not remember the journey and had no idea as to why she had driven to town. We have also recently lost several of our chickens to cancer. Could these symptoms associated to the tower?

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
Most air heat pumps get piss poor efficiency below 40F. 

Yeah, they definitely have a curve of efficiency both hot and cold. Get them above 35 and they fall off the perch real fast.  I had a water mister on the coils of my splits at the other place and I'm going to do it here too. On a hot day that evapoative effect makes a HUGE difference to their efficiency especially seeing mine is about 15 yo.  You are effectively lowering the air temp by 20oC or more.

Also going to look at ventilating the roof space. My fridgy mate reckons that makes a huge difference to the heat radiating through the ceiling. I have double insulation both under the roof and on top of the ceiling so if I get rid of any hot air that does get trapped, should be worth the investment either in power for a fan or straight out cash for a ventilator.

Tonight I left the air off and ran 3 fan heaters.  It's not overly cold where the AC would struggle But I think it's just trying to do too much. Put one in the office here, one in the lounge room and one in the adjoining kitchen.l had them all on low power being 1KW ea and although they seemed a little slow, once the chill was off the air it was quite toasty. The AC uses about 3.5 KW PER PHASE so I'm no worse off. I'll check the meters in teh morning and see how it went. I got the last 3 weeks of useage logged so I'll have a pretty good idea if I came out in front or not.  Be very surprised if I didn't.

I'm having a hard time picking the generation. That cloud edge really is weird.  Yesterday was beautifully sunny  with light haze and the generation was considerably up on past days. Today was gloomy in parts and I thought would be well down but to my amazement, was about 1.5Kwh up on yesterday. 37.5 KWH. Not bad for the last day of Autum.
At first I thought I'd make a mistake tallying up the inverters outputs but I checked both days figures again and they were right.

Winter starts tomorrow and june is the lowest yeild month here so will be the real test. July goes up a bit then August is nearly double Jues output so I have a fortnight there to make up a bit.  Sept, oct ( Highest yielding moth of the year and Nov should have me making more power than I know what to do with beingyeild will be up and little need for AC hot or cold. 

I knocked up a ground mount frame this afternoon using the railing I have got with the different systems I have bought. Couple of buckets full of screws and brackets now and a pile of this railing. It's impossible to get it to go together using the brackets because it's all different and no one lot does what I want.  Used a few bolts were I could to make the A frames on the end then just tek screwed everything from there. It holds 2 panels length ways on the bottom and 3 Vertically But I could easily extend it to hold 4 panels on the top for a total of 6.
It came up well on it's own but when I stand back and look, it is an eyesore in the back yard. I'll have to organize a mate to come give me a hand to get them up on the house roof.

Might give it a run over the next month though as I need the power and may as well use it now I built the bugger.
I want the long rails to make a frame for the veggie garden. I have come to the conclusion it's useless trying to grow anything here without something to keep the birds, Cockatoos and the odd Wallaby and rabbit out of.  Came face to face with a Goat the other day when I went to get the mail.
Think we both startled the crap out of each other. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
[quote author=ajaffa1 link=topic=8150.msg94089#msg94089 date=1527759575

Since it went operational I have suffered depression and fatigue. Today my wife drove to town and reports that she does not remember the journey and had no idea as to why she had driven to town. We have also recently lost several of our chickens to cancer. Could these symptoms associated to the tower?

[/quote]

Sure don't sound good!
When looking for houses last year,  I passed on quite a few that were too close to HT power lines for comfort. 2 of them were really great houses that were very affordable..... and we knew why.  There were another 3 I remember that we liked till we saw the cell phone towers also way too close for me to be happy about.

Here the Mobile's don't work in the house at all and barely outside.
Might be a better thing than we realise.

This is a real bad time of the year for me and I can feel my depression getting worse every day. Getting harder to do things as well. Doc says that's from the depression but it sure feels physical. Least I can pinpoint the cause.

Maybe you should try to get away for a bit Bob. if you start feeling better after a few days you'll have a much better idea of whats going on. At least you have the chance to escape but i'm not being done in by my homes location.
You don't happen to have a .308 or even a .223 Do you?  Might help with the problem a bit. Not hard to tag a tower from that far out and you could probably get closer especially at night. Probably has a convenient light on the top to use as a hold over point!  :0)

Might take a few tries before they think about just forgetting about the thing or relocating it. Then again if they did that could be closer to you.

You need to get one of those meters and do some readings.  There are standards for what those things can put out legally.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2018, 06:29:07 PM »
Bob, your response to the new tower is well within the types of changes that others have noticed.  All radio emissions have the effect of being a stressor,  which the US VA researchers Becker, MD and Marino reported in the early 1970s.  On military bases getting new high power, high frequency transmitters, residents of base housing showed elevated cortisol levels and other markers of stress.  Of course the military and telecom response to this was predictable.  Marino at LSU, ran the definative study proving that Electrical Sensitivity is real, physiological, and that effects of EMFs can further be detected via special QEEG even in those not consciously aware of it; other studies have shown profound brain effects from brief cell phone use, but there is big money in cellular communications. 

Those with brain inflammation from autoimmune, toxics, or head injury are often accutely aware of effects. Recent evaluations of those self reporting electrical sensitivity consistently show via FMRI and SPECT scans  brain damage much like that of a closed head injury. 

Your own home wiring and wireless use is also often a contributor, so I encourage those without OCD or panic disorders to get the appropriate meters and see if major improvements can be made there.  Often, the new cell tower is just the tipping point, and the underlying culprit is the EMI radiating 24/7 from the home wiring, as well as magnetic fields from wiring and grounding problems.  Both are readily correctable with some time and effort but very little expense.

Shielding of the home or at least portions of the home is possible but is much more of a technical project and expense. If done well it can have the effect of moving you 5 miles or more away from the tower.  Avoid the use of expensive shielding materials such as conductive paints, and instead use things like breathable foil barriers, wire mesh, or aluminum foil.  Many people have been fleeced and spent tens of thousands and accomplished such a small improvement as to be unnoticeable.  My own home was built as an experiment to see what could be accomplished re: shielding of a home on a small budget.  The house has been tested and provides -110 dB of shielding at 2.4Ghz. This is limited by the leaky front door, and would otherwise be 120dB.  I have "overscreens" of 47 thread per inch stainless steel wire mesh over all my windows.  Materials plus labor for the shelding added only about $10K to the cost, as I was already planning on using a foil laminate system over drywall which I had developed for those with severe chemical sensitivity.

I can send you an article I wrote over 20 years ago on practical, hands on home mitigation if you'll send me PM with your email address.  I'm happy to help those who are willing to take the bull by the horns, learn and do for themselves. For many, the whole notion of unseen forces (radio waves, radiated EMI, magetic fields) is so disturbing that they are afraid to do anything or lapse into denial.  (I was in the latter group myself.)

For normal folks without severe electrical sensitivity, Cornet makes a single combined broadband RF, ELF magnetic and E-field meter (ED-88T) which is adequate along with an AM radio- the old Radio Shack 12-467 or Sony ICF-S10MK2.  Learning to use the AM radio as a poor man's near field sniffer for detecting and locating home wiring EMI is especially important; in less than an hour you can both find and identify offending sources in the home by simply holding the AM radio as you switch off circuit breakers at the main panel.  Often the fix is as simple as unplugging something unless in use; for example I have found many electrical stoves have such unbelievably bad quality switching power supplies that the entire home wiring is radiating and can be heard via AM radio within 6 of any wires in the wall, ceilings, and floors. Adding a switch to turn off this portion needed only for the oven solves the problem, as the burners do not require it to be on at all. It only needs to be on for oven use.

I am very glad to help those who are trying to learn about this, and reduce the unnecessary health stress of their home electrical system on themselves and family members.  It is the cheapest health insurance you can ever buy.  Most problems are readily correctable!!!

Specifically for depression, I'd suspect that endocrine disruption is happening- your autonomic system is being affected.  Besides fixing the home situation to dramatically lower your daily EMF exposure, I'd suggest getting free T3 and reverse T2 thyroid tests done, as well as 4x a day saliva cortisol levels, and for men, testosterone.  These are all things that can profoundly affect cognition, energy, depression and/or anxiety, and are again are something that can be corrected via supplements and/or hormone replacement.  Correcting the thyroid and cortisol problem can restore you dramatically. 

Assessing the home situation via meter is always the starting point.  Without any meter, step one is to make sure the head of your bed isn't on the same wall as a power meter, and that you don't have wireless on in the home at night, and you don't have a plug powered clock/radio on your bedside table.  Meters are critical- you can't know what needs doing or if you've got it corrected without measurement.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

PS-  Your distance from the tower is alarming and depending on the antennae orientation you could be in a very high level situation.  If it has only just been installed in the last week, you may find that the accute symptoms will subside IF you and your wife are still sleeping OK.  If it has been months, uh oh.  Depression is a very serious thing, and as Glort suggested, taking a holiday from the home might be very helpful in sorting things out.  But please get a meter, as often unseen WIFI transmitters can cause microwave levels higher than the tower! For those who have developed severe electrical sensitivity, getting away from EMFs can be a serious difficulty.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:44:08 PM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »
Thanks BruceM for your detailed reply. I have a mate who is an electrician and has access to an EMF meter, I`ll get him round asap. The tower went live about three months ago and I have had nothing but mental health issues since. My GP put me on an antidepressant called Sertraline, about 1 in 10,000 have an adverse reaction to this drug, guess what, I was the one. Ended up in hospital with blood pressure of 205 over 105, the ambulance cost me $800! The trouble is that Sertraline is extremely addictive so you can`t just stop taking it because of the side effects. I`ve been lowering the dose for weeks and am now free of it. Got to go back to the GP next week to try and find an antidepressant that isn`t going to kill me.

I think the attached photo should give you an idea of the view of the tower from my veranda.

Hey Glort, yes I have very nice .223 with telescopic sights. I have considered a little target practice but think the authorities would take a dim view of my blasting away at their critical infrastructure. This tower is a high power relay station, where it is it attracts a lot of  lightening strikes, I have considered going up there and disconnecting the lightening conductor/earth wire. First strike should fry all the electronics.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:20 AM »
Without any meter, step one is to make sure the head of your bed isn't on the same wall as a power meter, and that you don't have wireless on in the home at night, and you don't have a plug powered clock/radio on your bedside table.

Hmm, 3 strikes for me there.  Not good.

The problem is not with me but with convincing others.
If I tried to take the WIFI out, pretty sure I'd be living here on my own... or more likley somewhere else on my own. There would be a revolt.
Trying to move the bedroom furniture around and tell my wife she can't have her alarm clock..... Well lets just say i'm not considered exactly the most stable and rational person  by anyone in the wider family so that would be dismissed as me having completely lost the plot.

There is a clear reason for my depression but I can't help but wonder if things like this don't aggravate it? Certainly Medication and therapy isn't exactly having outstanding results.

That said, with talk of this before I have been conscious of it. I notice that I get more down when I visit my father. He's in the country and there is nothing around him other than the wifi which is very week and has annoyingly limited range.  Where I ( don't) sleep is at the other end of the long house to the meter box and the only thing on at night is the TV on standby.  Mobile phone reception is 99% useless as well and I often just turn mine off because it does not work there anyway.
I think the reason I get more down is because I have too much time to think, remember and regret.

If I had a noticeable improvement in disposition up there when I stay a week or 2 i'd know better this was something affecting me but ATM, how can I know whether it's something that I am vulnerable to or not?

I would have a real problem changing a lot of things. I'm the one that has 5 GTI's around the place for my solar and likes playing with things electrical.
I have a mobile Phone ( and even use it sometimes as much as twice a week!) use tablets and computers a LOT and even my camera has Wifi.
I'll be using that tomorrow. Taking pictures of soccer teams, Pushing the pic to my tablet where my daughter will get the coaches to number the players according to the team list. It is hard to escape technology even if I do firmly believe in a lot of cases, it's stuffing us up.

Right beside me now, besides the WIFI modem I have about 5 battery chargers, a couple of printers and the Tablet, mobile Phone and cordless house phone.
If I am sensitive to this stuff I'm going to have to come move in with you to get away from it Bruce.

You are spot on, again, getting away from this is hard and denial or defeat is a big factor.
I guess the real trick is working out if it's something that is affecting you or not.

Might add those tests to the next blood test I'm due for and see what happens.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »

Hey Glort, yes I have very nice .223 with telescopic sights. I have considered a little target practice but think the authorities would take a dim view of my blasting away at their critical infrastructure. This tower is a high power relay station, where it is it attracts a lot of  lightening strikes, I have considered going up there and disconnecting the lightening conductor/earth wire. First strike should fry all the electronics.

Well I'm not the smartest tool in the shed but I take a dim view of cancer so if there was a way of drilling holes in the thing without it being obvious, I would be tagging the thing.
That said, I really can't see it doing much good. They would just keep replacing it. They didn't put the bastard there without a lot of research into where the best position was....for them that is.

As for the lightening.... Risk of doing that would outweight the risk of drilling holes in it to me.

Some years ago I was playing at a job that I called  "Looking after the high rise Kindergartens ".... or being a building manager for a couple of places in the city. You wouldn't believe the way tenants carry on, hence the kindergarten tag, but that's another story.

Up on the roof of one of them there were phone relay towers. I doubt they were powerful as far as they go, flat antennas and being in the city, they would not have had to beam their signals 100 miles exactly.
The guy I was filling in for took GREAT pains to take me up there and drill it into me NOT to go closer than those lines around them which were probably 30 Ft back because of the radiation from them.  I remember looking at the power cables from the little sub station going back into them and the guy saying how to put them in they had to run all these thick power conduits  and pointed out later another little sub station on the footpath that was put there so they could run these towers.

The guy was a lot like me, complacent about a lot of things but he certainly wasn't too complacent about these things.  I have learned that anything that worries people like myself is best paid attention too. While up there he got me to come back and stand behind a metal and concrete structure up there for the AC saying the radiation was much less there. He was plenty keen to get back down as well and pointed out he had the heavy metal door fitted by the telco at his insistence to the owners if they wanted him to carry on looking after the place, that was a condition. His office was 12 floors down but he said he didn't want the radiation bouncing down the fire escape which his office was right beside.

My mate who did the AC for the building was also very wary of it. Said he hated going up there to do any work or any other rooftop that had the the antennas and repeaters.
Told me of some where his electronic multi meters went haywire  and he would do an hours maintence on these rooftops and had such a bad headache he couldn't see straight for the rest of the day. He said he gave these jobs away and now when he gets asked to quote on these jobs the first thing he asks is are there any Phone or radio towers up there? If so, he passes on even quoting for them.

I have known this guy since before his now married Daughter was born and he's no pussy. Quite the opposite, he's more the " We all have to die one day type" so when he says " Be careful" I bloody well listen to him!

There is only one tower anywhere near where I am and that's at least 5KM away as the crow flies.
Ironically, it's on top of the Hospital which is up on the only hill for miles.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2018, 01:13:24 AM »
Bob, alas most electricians know nothing about EMFs except that they fully believe in the "religious training" (supported by shoddy power company cigarette science) they have had that there is no problem.  Electricians have no real technical training whatsoever in my state; they learn the rules by rote and by putting in their years under supervision but they are ill equiped to deal with technical issues outside their rules because they typically lack any technical background. Even a HS diploma is not required in my state.

In particular, I have NEVER helped with a home EMF mitigation project where we did NOT find serious high frequency EMI on the home power, radiating from all the home wiring.  Usually that is from the homeowner's own equipment.  Sometimes it is due to poorly maintained distribution lines, with arcing on loose and/or corroded metal hardware on the pole near the lines.  These can be readily located via AM radio and Air Band radio. I helped with a home of a woman with a very rapidly progressing case of Parkinson's a few years ago.  Ended up that two bad arcing sources within 2 miles were the culpret.  She had no AM radio reception in the house- the entire AM band was making a 120Hz buzz anywhere in the home and along the wiring coming into the home when home power was turned off (the tip off that it's an external source).  I had my helper walk the lines with my radio gear and he found both sources per Marv Loftness's approach in just an hours walking.  With the pole numbers marked down and poles marked with red tape wrap, the power co. was very cooperative. 

Whether this is someone's "big health issue" or is just another mild stressor is impossible to predict.  But there is no harm in correcting what are mostly simple EMI and code violations of wiring and some grounding issues.  You can't really tell by looking, the most innocent looking situations can be a horror show, and vice-versa.

It's hard for me to understand the necessity for wireless in the home. Pulling Cat6 cable is not a big deal and with a jack at each person's favorite working locations you're covered.  The idea that you must be connected at all times and in all places is telecom marketing hype for suckers.  The evidence is increasingly pointing to this as being NOT at all helpful for young people, who have a much greater incidence of all kinds of metal health and chronic health issues.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »
Very good advice about staying away from these towers. I remember a group called Fathers for Justice in the UK, they protested against injustices in the divorce courts. One group climbed one of these towers to put up a banner, unfortunately they were unaware of the dangers and can no longer father anymore children.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2018, 01:37:33 AM »
Hey BruceM, fortunately for me the local electrician is very knowledgeable and a campaigner against all kinds of pollution. They have recently put up another of these towers in the middle of the local village where he and his wife live. I`ll take a photo when I go to the market on Sunday.

I have purchased all  the new switch gear I need to redo the main distribution board on the house and I have already fitted two new earthing stakes. The energy company renewed the incoming overhead cable only last year.

I`ll check out Merv Loftness and work out what needs to be done to reduce the risks.

Bob