Puppeteer

Author Topic: More panels!  (Read 6429 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: More panels!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »
I know I am well taxing your reading and comprehension abilities now, but why do you even ask and in this way?
Just seems like an attempt to put down what I am doing and discredit it. If it were anything else you'd be asking about the setup itself because it does not matter a fig to you what the rules are here or what I'm doing on my place.  Just a smoke screen to try and put shit on my efforts is all.
If that's what you want to do, fine, just come out and have the balls to do it up front. I care about that as much as I give a damn about the underhanded way of doing it and jealous prats going on about rules and regulations like it matters an iota to them. 

To spell it out, I don't give a Fk about idiotic and worthless rules and regs that serve no purpose other than to give bureaucrats who polish a seat with their arse a job whom have no idea what they are talking about anyway. If other people are scared of their own shadows and won't do a thing that they are told they can't and think they have to have qualified sparky in to change a fuse, Good on them.

These rules and regs are no guarantee of safety or reliability, I can point to many specific documented cases where compliance has been the CAUSE of fires and safety issues. They just changed back a rule with isolators here to what it was previously after it was worked out how many fires had been started in systems due to compliance with the "new" regulations. The fire dept were the ones who came heavy on the gubbermint to change it back after they saw an instant veritable explosion of fires on these new installs No one knows why the rules with that were changed in the first place but it was a hell of a stuff up that caused a LOT of problems that's for sure.

And if you are still with us, to prempt the next inevitable excuse for the concern about rules and regs, No, it won't Violate my insurance unless they can PROVE it was the cause of a problem.  If a fire is started by a gas leak in the house, they can't write off the claim because my solar setup isn't compliant.
Maybe where you live they can get away with that and have you bent over a table with your pants down but it does NOT cut it here. 
Unless they can prove a fire started as a result of a FAULT in my solar setup, everything else IS still covered.

My setup has more breakers and disconnects than any Compliant system and they are all rated to trip the moment something goes wrong by very tight tolerances for the power going through them. To turn it round, I'd challenge anyone to leave the protection I have in place and manipulate the rest of the system in anyway TO cause a problem if they tried. It won't happen.

But thanks for your legitimate concern.

Your right. 
I know I am well taxing your reading and comprehension abilities now, but why do you even............(the dots are my quoting our illustrious leadershipness.)

I got through the first part and your area does have some rather stupid and hidden agenda rules.  We have some too.  Not quite as stupid but all in all - Deceptive and misdirected. 

I'm behind schedule this morning.  Manana! 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:40 PM »
I find your approach interesting.  Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »

There is a thought..... Do an electrolysis setup with my extra solar power and feed the oxygen to the plants. That would give them a boost!

I hope this is in jest.   Plants consume Co2 and release oxygen. 
Vertebrates (and invertebrates) consume oxygen and release Co2. 

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
What about the hours of darkness?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of the things that live in the dark..................

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »
In olden days in hospitals when darkness fell they would remove flowers because after dark plants take up oxygen and output carbon dioxide.

Hey glort,  How come you just don't completely off grid?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 02:14:17 AM »
I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of the things that live in the dark..................

Stef

I think I am more afraid of what I'm afraid might be living in the dark that I'm afraid of.  ;D :o

No really, Glort would you mind terribly if I PM'ed you with some really stupid questions?
Ron
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:16:55 AM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 03:44:36 AM »
There is a thought..... Do an electrolysis setup with my extra solar power and feed the oxygen to the plants. That would give them a boost!

I hope this is in jest.   Plants consume Co2 and release oxygen. 
Vertebrates (and invertebrates) consume oxygen and release Co2.

Actually, plants do need oxygen in the roots which was what I was thinking of.  This is how a lot of hydroponic type setups work.  They water the roots then expose them to oxygen. One such system is called ebb and flo where the plant roots are flooded to give them water and nutrient and then the water is drained so the oxygen can get to the roots freely.
 My aeroponics system is much the same. Water  them intermittently and have the roots growing out of net pots so they hang in the air to get more oxygen.

I was thinking of something like either a semi sealed system there it's air/ Co2 on top at the leaves and Oxygen underneath or bubbling through the dirt or media or oxygenating the water.

Another thing I have been looking at and want to have a play with is making Chlorine.  Salt water with electrolysis.  Essentially makes bleach. I could use that round here for cleaning all the pathways and around the eaves and gutters and also even on the panels where  I am seeing the start of some moss and lichen no we have got a few drops of rain. The run off into the water tank wouldn't be much but it would act as a purifier anyway.

Hey glort,  How come you just don't completely off grid?

Cost.

Cheaper to stay on grid while I can and do what I am doing whilever I can. Eventually I will look at off grid when they bring round the smartarse meters which is planned for everyone here but until such time, I have it as good as it's going to get right now. Off grid is not cheap with battery's, inverters and managing it all.
I am slowly preparing for off grid and all the panels is a good start as is putting in a decent generator which I just have to pick up and install.
Also getting the wiring done soon to accommodate this and install change over switches. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 04:04:29 AM »
My power addition project is still slowly moving along.  With the additional 1500 watts, I decided my old linear PV current regulator needed a bit more power.  I did a redesign and nearly doubled the capacity, 7 instead of 4 power transistors.  I just got the new PCBs today.
It should easily handle up to 3000 watts, but when I checked on the big heatsink (12x10x1.3 inches) with a thermal model it just didn't have the guts for the 300 plus watts the new board can do.  So I ordered a new heatsink, 24x10.1x2.8", with about 4 times the capacity.  It's the downside of linear regulation- a $160 heatsink!  Could have stuck with the old one with a thermal disk controlled small fan but I wanted to keep it outside the power shed and small muffin fans and outdoors don't mix well.  Nothing to fail with a big hunk of finned aluminum, also.

I'll assemble the new PV current regulator board on the first good day for soldering outside.  Hopefully I didn't make any big goofs on the PCB layout. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 04:05:39 AM »

My old POS Neighbor was pretty scared of what lived in the dark because that was Me. Many strange things and sounds happened at night and I'll bet he sleeps a hell of a lot easier now I'm gone!   :laugh:
The best way not to be scared of the dark or what is in it is to be the most scary thing yourself and then you have nothing to worry about!

My mates always used to say I was scared of the dark because I always had a heap of lights on vehicles, on my home and had a wiring loom for my tent when we went camping to run it off a car battery.  They would be trying to cook with weak lanterns and torches and things and I'd have my campsite lit up like Christmas. As I said, Roughing it was for the amateurs, the smart people made themselves perfectly comfortable.

They used to say I was scared of the dark but with all the LED and other lighting I have amassed over the last few years, I now say the dark is scared of be because of how I slay the darkness with Light.  :laugh:

That said, I actually like the dark. I'm a night person and I like low lighting.  Last Monday I was on a night flight and all the cabin lights were on as the plane Taxied. I said to the Mrs I wish they would turn the lights off, this doesn't feel right.  Before we launched they did and I was far more comfortable.
I am always getting called a Vampire at home as the wife and daughter will come home at night and there isn't a light on in the place. They laugh how I make coffee and do things where they can't even see.

When I'm outside or driving at night( which I far prefer) I like to see EVERYTHING for a good distance all round! I have put in a heap of lights especially outside since we have been here.  I like being able to flick a couple of switches and turn night into day.

Any questions, ask away. Most likely not as silly as you think.  There is quite a lot of misinformation and things that don't go with what one would logically think I have discovered.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 04:12:14 AM »
Could have stuck with the old one with a thermal disk controlled small fan but I wanted to keep it outside the power shed and small muffin fans and outdoors don't mix well.

I was thinking why didn't you just use a fan as I was reading but then remembered your sensitivity. I thought that was the reason not the outside thing.

I bought some little thermal switched for my inverters. They are a tiny little thing about 3 cm long and thin, not a snap disk. I put these on a relay for good measure and taped them to the side of my inverter with a dab of heat paste. Work perfectly. Inverter hits 40oC and the fan kicks in blowing air through the heat sink. I'm a big fan of forced air.

I was going to get some more car fans and wire them direct to an old panel But If I use that lo voltage power for something else probably better to leave things as they are.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 04:12:35 AM »
Hey Glort-  I was wondering if the Autopot valves are also spendy there in Sydney?  In the US the valve alone (for on pot or tray) is about $30 US.  The whole setups are also very spendy- $300 for a measly 6 pot setup with feeder tank.  Too steep for serious vegetable growing.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »

Just looked them up Bruce,  About $27  Plus shipping.  The single pots are about $60 ea and $275 for the 5 Pot kit.
With the conversion rate you'd probably pay about $22 plus postage for the valve so no benefit there.

Still think one could do much the same with a couple of probes on an arduino or something. May not be as stand alone but for the savings.....

I put some seeds in the other day in my little plastic box incubator thing.  Going to give them a go inside my IBC tank and see what happens.  Think I'll set that up with some small rocks and have that as an ebb and flow type thing with a water level sensor and drain.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
"I'm a big fan of forced air."

I ran a couple different free heat sink thermal models a few days ago before deciding what to do for the power upgrade and even the most pathetic, barely moving airflow TRIPLES a heatsink's capacity compared to still air convection/radiation.  I WILL be using a modest cooling fan for my low EMF inverter! 

Thanks for the info on Autopot in Au.  It's a great product but as you suggest, the same principle can be done in other ways. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 01:05:09 AM »
"I'm a big fan of forced air."

I ran a couple different free heat sink thermal models a few days ago before deciding what to do for the power upgrade and even the most pathetic, barely moving airflow TRIPLES a heatsink's capacity compared to still air convection/radiation.  I WILL be using a modest cooling fan for my low EMF inverter! 

I never ran any fancy thermal models  :0) but experience with my time wasting projects and ideas has been enough to show me how effective moving air is.  As long as the air is moving so you are constantly seeing the max temp difference between the ambient air and what you want to cool, it does make a BIG difference. I also believe there is a make or break point where moving the air too fast gives no more cooling as you exceed the airs ability to pick up the heat from the surface trying to radiate it. there has to be time for the thermal transfer to take place.  That said, never in practice found it to be a problem. Blow whatever air you can and let it sort itself out.  :0)

I don't have a cyclone blowing through my inverter, I'd guess the fan is using less than 20 W if that given the thing is only 70W max and I'm running it at a fast idle.  I am amazed at the heat coming off the thing though.  Given the capacity of the inverter and the efficiency, it should only be about 400W worth of heat max but feels more like a 2KW fan heater to me.

If you REALLY want to see some cooling efficiency,  Spray a mist of water onto what ever you want to cool in addition to the moving air. Then you are going to be able to get some very Impressive  Oc/W heat sinking!

I did this on a model Boat years ago. Engine just would not cool well enough with the load and way it was enclosed. I took a water pick up and fed it into the blower housing so it was sprayed all around  and onto the Cylinder.  Never over heated again and there was hardly any water in the bottom of the boat, must have been about 90% just evaporated. I always thought some of it must have been going into the engine as well the way the water sprayed around in a fine mist and the location of the carb intake.

I remember extolling the virtues of water injection to mate for his vehicle. He was sceptical but I think I wore him down and he tried it.
He said it gave him no more power, couldn't tell the vehicle ran any better after a couple of weeks but was totally sold on the concept and would be making the temp set he had fitted better and permanent and fitting a much bigger water tank.
I said if if didn't do anything, why are you sold on it? He said he never said it didn't do anything, he had seen his intake temps repeatedly drop 80oC+  under boost and a corresponding reduction in engine temps when towing.

He said the cooling effect was huge and well worth doing the setup for the cooling benefits to the engine and reduction in EGT's alone. He tried a water spray on the intercooler as well which had significant benefits on its own but running the water in the intake was by far the best. Between the inner and outer spray together he could easily get below ambient temps in the air entering the engine. He tried Meth  in the water once and got the inter cooler to ice up on a low load run.
He did later come to concede the cleaning benefits when the thing started running and starting better and pulling harder as well. Just as I said took a bit longer to kick in on some vehicles.