Puppeteer

Author Topic: How to raise boulders from a quary....with a Listeroid  (Read 6244 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
How to raise boulders from a quary....with a Listeroid
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
Ever wonder how they raise boulders from a pit in India ??

(I think about it all the time  ;D   )

Using a Lister....  LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y10hgMx-Kd4

cheers,
Veggie
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:43:39 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: How to raise boulders from a quary....with a Listeroid
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
Hey 32coupe needs to watch that so hecan learn how to get his engine speed right, LOL ;D ;D ;D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

davesiegler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
how about the dude riding the stone

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »
That is a nice application for the lateral shifting flat belt- on idler and drive pulley of the same size.  I'd like to have something like it for my air compressor as with just the pneumatic unloaders there is still a quite noticeable power loss and fuel increase.  Fairly easy to implement the belt shifter via air cylinder or geared motor drive.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Look how still it is sitting on that iron framework ;) Luck? or do they send the junk here??
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:08:46 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »
If you think that's trick, check this out, positively brutal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aquUatFDeI

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »

Here's a way to start your Roid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XqYadCbL90

In the west we are all soft.

There you go Glort.... and you wasted all that money on a new Starting Crank Handle !   ;D

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:26:06 AM »
.......wasn't so easy to spin and no way I could get it going fast enough.
Either that or the Skinny guy in the vid has a lot more grunt about him that I do.
The oil is thinner in the warmer climates. 
 Time for me to do an oil change, thinking about using a cup of diesel in the sump to help it drain out instead of waiting overnight for it to dribble out.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
Nice videos to start safety meetings.

(sorry guys but the truck one smells a lot like fake video.)
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »
I will always remember the street-level completely unprotected high-voltage bus bars with at least 100 wires hanging off I saw in Delhi and a couple other places in India. There is little concern over health and welfare on that level because just basic food and shelter - survival is the immediate problem facing so many. There is also a cultural attitude about life and death that differs greatly from those of us in the West. If you think you can just check out and probably be reborn into a better situation, then who cares about dying?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:36 AM »
It's the Lawyers.   Sue Everybody.    Uncle Harry got a hangnail, because his employer let him work without gloves.  Sue the Plant. Sue the supervisor. The President who was too cheap to provide gloves when he needed them.
 And the lawyers win all the way to the bank.

It's the fault of the Courts that let this get so out of hand....

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
The example of an employee suing for a hangnail is hogwash/propaganda.

You can't sue your employer in most US states, you can only file a workman's compensation claim. The employer cannot be sued via civil court. The WC system pits the employee with his attorney, with injured or disabled employee liable for all legal expenses, including doctors or other experts, against the industrial insurance company and their staff lawyers plus hired guns. The system was designed by corporations to seriously limit their liabilities and it does just that.  For example,  in most states, common diseases associated with the job are excluded from coverage, as "known hazards of the occupation".  So a painter can't sue for toxic encephalitis from solvent injury, a coal miner can't sue for black lung disease, and diseases commonly associated with the work are EXEMPTED from coverage in Workman's Comp and you are legally prohibited from filing a civil claim against the employer. Compensation in those cases is only possible if the injured worker can legally prove gross negligence. There are no juries of peers.  Judges in the workman's comp system are not paid well and can more than double their pay by moving to the industrial insurance co. staff after a period on the bench...so are hardly hostile to them and have nothing to gain in supporting worker's claims.  In my state, a sting of state superior court justices found that 80% were taking bribes.  I doubt there is much difference in other courts.

I agree that lawyers are loathsome creatures. 

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
Ah, good old Elfin Safety. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with taking a common sense approach to safety.

If you're going up a ladder and there's a stiff breeze, tying the ladder to something is just common sense. Being required by law to have a certificate that certifies the holder is capable of climbing a ladder is stupid. I once had to change out a small computer box which was tucked behind a TV mounted 5ft up on the wall. Even though I'm a handy 6ft 4ins tall, it was just too far in the middle of the bracket for me to reach. So I asked if the company had a step-stool or small set of step ladders I could use to get the extra foot or so off the ground I needed to be to reach it.

"Have you got a certificate for working at height?"
"Err, no."
"Sorry, can't let you do it then"
"I've got a high-viz jacket, some hobnail boots, a couple of road cones I liberated from the M6 one drunken student night and a flashing yellow light I could stick to the top of my hard hat - all in the back of the car, if that would help?"
"[silence]"

Turns out a bloke had had an accident in their warehouse a week earlier, and had died as a result. thus the Health & Safety Executive (the Government body responsible for making sure forms are all filled out correctly, certificates are checked etc.) were crawling all over them looking to pin liability on the company; so, they were taking zero chances & had lost their sense of humour over H&S matters.... Oops.

But anyway, I digress from my point, which is: Health & Safety (or OSHA or whatever your local acronym is) is an attempt - usually over-zealous and wrong-headed - to codify common sense. You generally won't go up a 40ft ladder that's resting against the side of a building to try and fix a gutter (for example) if there's no-one around to assist you, the ladder isn't tied up, and it's blowing a gale outside... and if you do, then you're a plonker who deserves to be permanently paralyzed when you hit the deck at high speed.

Open flywheels? OMG! A HSE man's wet dream... now he can require (with the force of law behind him) you to put guards around them, stickers all over the place warning of the dangers, painted "no-go" zones on the floor (unless you've appropriate training & certificates to prove you can stand next to a running open-flywheeled engine without feeling the need to stick limbs, ropes or long hair into the spokes to ascertain whether it's running or not) and so on.

It made me laugh, one time, watching a "Making of..." documentary about an episode of Dr Who (for those who don't know it, weren't you ever a child???). The entire cast and crew were shown milling about doing various stuff (I think they were discussing how to animate some scarecrows) in their civvies (or costumes, for the actors) - 2 H&S reps in hi-viz, hard hats, boots etc. On a fucking FILM SET! In a FIELD! The only thing a hard-hat would save them from is falling aircraft ffs!

Unfortunately, though, we'll never be rid of the scourge of H&S. As long as ambulance-chasing lawyers are allowed to frivolously sue companies for negligence because a dumb employee did something dumb and hurt his/her self (and here in the UK, employers CAN be sued by employees), an entire industry will continue to feed greedily off of companies desperately trying to cover themselves from stupid claims. IMHO there should be an escape clause for all industrial accidents: If the employee was doing something so incredibly stupid that no-one on a jury would copy him, then the company should be absolved of liability - UNLESS the employee was directly ordered to carry out whatever action it was by a dumb-arse manager (who should take the rap instead) on threat of loss of employment.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
Before my accident I worked as a maintenance fitter in a sawmill owned by a very large multi national company. As you can imagine any one of these enormous machines could kill a man in a heartbeat. In an attempt to improve safety, head office implemented a one size fits all policy to be rolled out worldwide.

All employees to wear hard hats, steel toed boots, safety glasses, gloves, padded cotton trousers and high viz long sleeved shirts (tucked in at all times and buttoned at the wrists), any breach of this would result in dismissal. They spent a fortune fencing every single moving part in the plant, making access for regular maintenance(oiling, greasing and visual inspection) impossible. The temperature in summer in Australia regularly tops 50 degrees centigrade and the local hospital was inundated with unconscious workers with heat stroke.

They implemented a world wide health and safety training scheme which encouraged the workers to report each other to the safety officer for any hazardous activity. In 3 years we lost 30% of our skilled personnel for breaches of health and safety(including one health and safety officer). These were replaced by unskilled and inexperienced casual labourers.

The output from the plant dropped from 90 cubic meters of finished timber a day to 30 cubic meters a day. The factory is now running at a loss, threatening the livelihood of all the workers.

China, India and other developing countries don`t have these rules or don`t implement them. We just aren`t ever going to be able to compete in a global economy if we allow idiots in air conditioned offices to make these sorts of decisions with no understanding of the consequences, while replacing skilled men with untrained temporary labour.

Rant over.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 02:57:46 AM »
China, India and other developing countries don`t have these rules or don`t implement them. We just aren`t ever going to be able to compete in a global economy if we allow idiots in air conditioned offices to make these sorts of decisions with no understanding of the consequences, while replacing skilled men with untrained temporary labour.

I'm not saying we should pump any and all crap out Mindlessly but clearly a more sensible approach would make things much better for industry.
Why not? The politicos do it all day everyday. If you want to reduce toxic emissions we should start in Canberra, by trying to think of a way to recycle a politician. All much too sour and bitter to eat.

Bob