Author Topic: CS3 down here at the bottom of the world  (Read 939 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CS3 down here at the bottom of the world
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
I always love this bit in these sale/auction descriptions (and it's always there, in some guise or another):

Hasn't run for some years but was running when put in the shed so would go with a little bit of a clean up.

Yeah, sure mate. It's been parked upside down in 10ft of seawater for 40 years but yeah - a bit of spit & polish and fresh diesel and I'm sure she'll run. Thats why I haven't bothered of course, I'm clean out of diesel. And spit.

The other one that sparks me off these days is, when describing some crusty old car that's been languishing under a tarpaulin at the bottom of the garden for 40 years as a "barn find". No, a "barn find" is when you buy a farm, and crack open a barn that's been locked up for 20 years and find a treasure trove of well preserved old machinery.... not some POS you bought 5 years ago, stuffed in a leaky garage, and are now passing off as a family heirloom!

Some long-time members here might recall a time when a contingent of US members clubbed together to buy a container full of Lister diesels from here in the UK; and, mr muppet here, agreed to buy a truck with a crane on it to drive around our small island picking up these various purchases (one of which, I kid you not, had clearly spent a considerable number of years in the sea!). I agreed with the vendor to buy the lorry at its full asking price, on the condition that he got it it's MoT certificate (basically, a road worthiness test). He agreed.... although 4 tests and 400 lighter in the pocket, he was considerably less happy about that deal! And that's the sort of thing that really gets my goat - "she'll run, she's a good 'un", when she's clearly a knackered old cow who's going to cost more to repair than just buying one that actually works in the first place...

Erm, rant over. Sorry!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:49:02 AM »

It was a good and poignant rant Ade, don't apologise.

The " It will be fine with minimal effort like Plugging it in but i haven't done that to verify and increase it's sale value 5X by selling it as working rather than parts"  thing gets me too.  Anything thats not confirmed as working and test/ demonstration available is simply not working to me.

I bought a ride on mower last week. Supposed to be fine apart from a small steering problem and no cutter deck.  I wanted a tug for around the yard so was perfect.  Went 100Km down to a JD dealership where upon the guy says they haven't had it running and rattles off a few things. Says they don't have time to go through it and just want the value they traded it for back.  Negotiate on the spot another $50 off the price and load it up. 

Bring it home, have a look and I can see someone HAS spent time trying to get it going. New bits of wiring, fresh petrol in the tank, new carby parts and lots of things cleaned for checking.
Took me 15 Min to get the thing going and it runs like a beaut. I disconnected the wire to the engine that has about 8 safety kill switches on it and removed and replaced a spade terminal a few times to make contact with the corroded other side on the start switch. Runs far better than I would have expected, engine seems perfect.

Fired it up yesterday and had daughter driving it to haul some big tree branches I cut down and it's a nice bit of gear and not too shabby in appearance either.  I might even get some polish on it and restore the chalk paintwork and double it's value!

Daughter asked how much I paid for the thing and when I told her $200 she didn't believe it. Even she pointed out it started right up, runs nice and doesn't blow any smoke at all.  She wanted to know why so cheap and I said because the people at the JD dealership couldn't get it to go.  She looked at me and said oh yeah, and how long did it take you? 5 Min? I said no, I had to go inside and look up the engine wiring Diagram so took about 15 all up.
We were both laughing.

I never cease to be amazed at the prices people put on used goods. several times a week I come across stuff that is at or above new price.
had a couple lately that when I pointed it out said OK, I was off the mark there and agree to my offer. Many more take the indignant stance and just say that's what they think it's worth as if they are the authourity that determines somethings  correct market value. Forget the fact similar things are being advertised for half or less.

Another one I'm seeing more of lately is making an offer on stuff and they come back and tell you they have had better offers. I say OK, well they must want it bad, best you take the offer.   Thing is still there for sale a week later and if you ask if it is available, they say yes. Make the same offer and they again tell you they have had a better one.  Said to a guy this morning, that's what you said a week ago, WTF haven't you taken the offer?
I said big difference between someone offering money and coming through with it!

I have done the same thing, or tried to, as you did with the truck.
If it's only going to cost $20 and 10 min to fix it, you do that and I'll pay you $50 more to cover your time and expense.
Always a bunch of excuses about not having time and other transparent crap.
Did this with a guy selling a tractor in November. Just needed $100 and take this off and put the new one on, easy 20 Min fix.
When I said you do it and I'll pay $150 extra I got all sorts of ridiculous crap.  Told him " Don't think I am as stupid to believe your bullshit as you you are to think anyone will believe it in the first place and walked off.

::)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:08 AM »
I always love this bit in these sale/auction descriptions (and it's always there, in some guise or another):

Hasn't run for some years but was running when put in the shed so would go with a little bit of a clean up.

Yeah, sure mate. It's been parked upside down in 10ft of seawater for 40 years but yeah - a bit of spit & polish and fresh diesel and I'm sure she'll run. Thats why I haven't bothered of course, I'm clean out of diesel. And spit.

Yeah.  Kinda, sorta . . . but in this case I reckon NZ$400 isn't a bad gamble anyway - think about a couple of hundred Guineas . . .   The one recently advertised for $1200; THAT was a bad deal :)

(edited by AdeV to fix quoting)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:58:18 AM by AdeV »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
There is no piece of machinery that can`t be fixed given enough money, determination and man hours.(with the possible exception of space debris/space shuttles etc.)
If it`s rare or old it`s worth the effort but sadly we live in an internet connected world in which mechanically deficient chancers
believe they can make a quick buck without having to break a sweat. Perhaps it`s time for those of us that are mechanically inclined to go on strike. If we all stopped servicing stuff and paying too much for spares to keep numpties in a job things might improve.

Bob

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
Hi glort,

Yeah - I read your story on the mower. Made me chuckle (but also made me mad on your behalf about the lying ****s).

I have a simple rule with eBay: If it says "untested", it means it's broken, and the seller couldn't get it to go... Using that as a default position, and bidding accordingly, I have (occasionally) been pleasantly surprised... The irony is, I found the boot on the other foot a few months ago: I sold an old 19" server cabinet, a big sturdy Dell thing. In the bottom of it was my old APC UPS. Since I couldn't be arsed digging out the cables to plug it all in, I splashed "untested" liberally around the auction (it'd been sat, unused, for around 8 years at this point). So finally the cab sells, and I've rolled it out to be picked up, and figured I really ought to give it a try.... so found a cable just as the buyer turns up. I said, we can test the UPS now if you like, to which he agrees... Anyway, 15 seconds of loud buzzing, a pop and large cloud of magic smoke later, we conclude that it's broken... Never mind I said, I've got another one on the shelf, almost as unused, you can have that instead. Sometimes I'm just too bloody good to people.

It's the liars that annoy me most. "Untested", yet when you get the thing, it's obviously had someone trying everything to make it work. "Barn find" when it's in the garage attached to the side of your house. Or rusting away on your parents driveway. "Rare" when there's 50 identical items for sale at the same time ("Ultra rare" if there's 5 or less identical ones for sale). etc.

Mike - in fairness, I didn't take much notice of the price; but looking at that engine, it's been sat outside for a long long time with nothing covering it. It is, of course, quite possible (if the insides are sufficiently oily) that it will just need a bit of a clean up to run again; but I'd guess the entire fuel system will need an overhaul, the valve springs will need replacing, the whole valve and head assembly will likely need dismantling, cleaning up, probably the valves will need grinding in again, and so on. Definitely not a "little bit of a clean up"! After all, if it just needed a little bit of a clean up, surely the vendor would have done that, posted a video of it running, and charged a legitimate $800 as glort says...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »

I have a simple rule with eBay: If it says "untested", it means it's broken, and the seller couldn't get it to go...

Exactly my position as well.

What, it was too much effort to put fuel in the thing and pull it over, plug it in..... yep, it's stuffed.
The ones That really get me are things advertised in " Good condition) ( or " conditionS) as the often write it, and then list a whole pile of defects....

" Good Conditions except the motor don't go, trans is blown and has hail damage." .

I went to buy some solar panels off a guy last year. Sounded a pot head Hillbilly and got me to meet him in the carpark of a Bottle shop. A telling Omen.
 Opens the back of the car which either he or chickens had been living in and I see the panels are all coated with a thick layer of silicone on the bottom shading about 3/4 of the bottom row of cells. I point it out and say they are not the ones you showed in the Photos in the ad.  He says he has a heap and is keeping some and selling these.

I said well I won't be buying them, useless to me.  He starts on about they still make power he tested them and they are OK. I said they would make about 40% power if you are lucky to which he says it's free power so whats the worry. I said none I guess, if the panels are free.  He says he can take $5 off each one and I say  not interested at any price thanks.
Then he starts going on about if I wanted new panels I should buy them and not be wasting his time.

I said I had been hanging round for an hour and if there was nothing wrong with these panels, why did he keep the others that aren't covered in goop?
Goes on about me wanting new panels and being too cheap to buy them and got to expect some problems with used stuff. He's trying to convince me to buy them and he needs the money and trys to persuade me into the deal with a few more not too veiled insults about my financial position and expecting things to be as new when they were used.  I'm thinking yeah mate, I have spent the day here looking at $1.5m homes and you don't have the money to fix your POS car and are telling me about the dump  you just moved into for cheap rent.  Ok then.   ::)

I said there is a big difference between used and damaged and you are getting offensive now so I suggest you shut up and we go our separate ways.
Got in the car and he's starting to yell insults for which I have zero tolerance of and a very bad temper.  I jump back out the car and head over to the guy to see if his round ones are as big as his loud mouth but am headed off by the Mrs who gives me a dressing down and makes me get back in the car like a scolded Child.  Stoner boy is laughing Till Mrs turns round and launches at him and tells him to be very thankful she was there or he'd not be in a good way by now but keep laughing if he has any doubts.  I love my Mrs even when she does put me in my place.
Don't know where she got the idea from I might be aggressive or something?
 I'm a very calm, rational, passive, confrontation avoiding kind of guy!   :laugh:

Probably one of my worst buying experiences with  person to person transactions.
Come across some dodgy people but none had ever insulted me like that before.  Last few transactions I have had have been very good. Funny thing was they and I were both very wary till we worked out the other was good and legit and we were both pleased and more so, relieved with each other.

My other rule is if it don't feel right, look right or story's  start changing, walk away .

You sound like my father Ade, way too good hearted for their own good. My father would have to be one of the very few car dealers in the world that would never sell a car he knew there was anything wrong with it. He has a personal moral standard of never doing the wrong thing by anyone and loses sleep if he thinks he's missed something  on a car he's sold someone. Don't know how many times I have heard him ring people that have bought a car off him, ask if they are happy with it and if not to bring it back and he'll give them their money back. Maybe that's why I have also known people to transfer him the money for a car before they have ever seen it and are repeat customers.

Dad also has a VERY bad habit of fixing things that A: he has zero obligation to, B; is almost certainly the customers fault, C; spends too much on repair to make it perfect rather than just fixed.

Unfortunately he gets taken advantage off too much except when I or his mechanic am there and put a reality check on things.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
"she'll run, she's a good 'un", when she's clearly a knackered old cow"
A gem from your rant Ade, really got me laughing. Brits have a way with the language we yanks just can't master, but do appreciate.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
"she'll run, she's a good 'un", when she's clearly a knackered old cow"
A gem from your rant Ade, really got me laughing. Brits have a way with the language we yanks just can't master, but do appreciate.

+1
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous