Author Topic: It's all YOUR fault!!  (Read 6072 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: It's all YOUR fault!!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:04:49 AM »
Mark your wheel with a felt pen (alcohol to erase) and place something like 4 oz opposite the center of the mark, but moved about 8" forward in the direction of rotation.  Then do the other wheel. Back and forth.  The marks getting longer means you're getting there.  Eventually you're just chasing your tail and are done.

If you have both fore and aft plus up and down movement, your cast in counterweights aren't opposite the piston.  Blindly adding or subtracting to the counterweight isn't going to do it.  The Mr X method will allow you to figure out where to put the weight to correct for the whole mess, if you can take the time to do it methodically.  The Mr X method requires movement- so putting your base on some carpet/rubbetr scraps or such to allow movement is needed.

Mr X's method does work well, without removing the flywheels, but it takes a LOT of starts and stops and time.
38AC's method is now my 1st choice.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:49 PM »
glort,

is it setting on concrete, dirt, wood ?

both of mine are on heavy welded frames with wood "bunkers" and when
set directly on cement they want to "walk away" unless i set them on some
rubber isolation pads. pads are 4x4x1 rubber, wood is 4x10 on one and
6x6's on the twin. i prefer to set mine on the ground as once they run for
a time they will settle in.

i wouldn't give up on it yet.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:12:12 AM »
why don't you just pull the flywheels and put them on a piece of bar stock on some sawhorses and settle this once and for all. find out where the heavy spot is and make it so the key is on the top. measure  how heavy that spot is with bucket and string and repeat on the other wheel.  put them back on and add or remove equal weight on each wheel until it stops pounding. I know they are heavy and it is a pita. you have talked about how you really really don't want to do it ever since I joined this froum but at this point you have more time and energy into pissing around with it than you would if you spent 1 afternoon just balancing it once and for all. just my opinion.....

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
If you are anywhere near South Florida or NYC, I will be glad to bring my ACES balance equipment to you and balance it for you. I have both an ACES 2020 and an ACES Cobra II balancing setups.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:25:49 AM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"