Author Topic: Commitments for 2018  (Read 3412 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Commitments for 2018
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
It's that time of year again.  Where you commit to one project or 17.  

What's on the top of your list?

I've gotten absorbed in converting the swimming pool to a swimming pond.  Kiss my bank card poison sellers and electricity hackers.  I'm going gravel filters and air powered lift pumps.  As in all major capital investment toys "Do No Harm" is the foundation of the project.  Should some silly person want to purchase this part of Eden they can always go back to the money lenders.  I'm thinking the smarter use of energy is one of the pillars of this site.

Ok, I've shown you mine.  How about a look at yours?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Commitments for 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
Major movement and consolidation of Lister business inventories into new carousel system. It has been years in the making, but we are close to being able to consolidate 3-buildings into one with the Lister inventories. I am gradually losing memory capacity to keep up with the business and need to pass on the responsibility, so our old rough organization needs a major upgrade. We moved and installed the Lister Petter factory parts system a couple of years ago, but have yet to install the inventory... something like 15,000 line items and about 3 million in value in new parts. The task is just massive, but should be worth the efforts. Then the remainder of our floor space can be devoted to engines and generators... around 400 of them at last count.  :) I think we pretty much have the entire L/P history covered here except for very early petrol (spark ignited) versions.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
As always, I takes my hat off to you big guys.  I'm just trying to turn a shed into a house, play with my grandkids, tinker with my Camrys, enjoy the sunshine, battle the gorse . . .

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »
Not so ambitious in way of projects here this year. My main commitment is to be a good husband to the best wife I have ever had.

Last winter My great wife and I built a new shop in the worst most snow enhanced winter we have had here in many a year. We had 4 feet on the ground, so building the shop meant frequently shoveling snow out of it.....the roof was not on! Anyway it is now closed in and mostly usable, powered temporarily via a line from the house.   

This year the plan is to pour a large chunk of concrete for the 6/1 & PMG that is to power up the shop. Then complete the wiring in of the gen set. After installation the ex-Startomatic will need some running in and adjusting as it has only a few hours since refurbishing with a re-sleeved cylinder, rings, bearings, etc. At the moment, its too cold for concrete so am slowly working through all those little around-the-house projects that are always on the list.

The listeroid (with 1500 hours) is reliably chugging away for a few hours every day to keep batteries charged to power up the house, so there is nothing other than regular maintenance on that end. Solar panels just won't do the deed without sunshine and there is not much of that here in mid winter.

Learning archery, something I've always wanted to do and now, closing in on 71, am finally finding the time. So far I'm able to get the arrows all  to go in the same general direction!

May you all be healthy and prosper in this new year.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
My goal for 2018 is to accomplish something that should have been done in 1848 but was "put off off for later" and that is to split California into multiple states. http://newcaliforniastate.com If that doesn't keep me busy enough I'll be keeping the Ashwamegah thumping charging batteries and hopefully adding an air compressor to it.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:51:58 PM »
My goal is to rehab my new shoulder joint enough that I can

a) get the cereal box off the top shelf
b) hand crank Listeroid and not use the noisy electric start

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 01:15:04 AM »
My goals for 2018 in order of importance are:
1 Finish my 1973 Ford P350/Benz OM617 project.
2 Finish my WVO settling/filtering/ storage project to run the P350 on.
3 Continue building my small gas and diesel engine repair business.
4 Go at least partly off grid by way of Wind, Solar and Listeroid power.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
Nice posts and great inspiration!

My challenge is turning two 1840's Convict built sandstone Barracks buildings into a Bed and Breakfast, it's a multi-year project and I've I've quit paid work, sold the family home and moved from the big Island down to Tasmania with the wife. Furniture removal arrives on Monday, and after that it's on the tools for the best part of 2 years. Hopefully I'll get some down time to finish my Lister 12-2!!!

I have no mains power here at present, but the Roid fired up first turn and with the solar/battery/roid system I should do just fine!

I'd love to get a Huon Pine fishing boat to do up, but I'm under strict instructions to finish the Barracks first!

All the best for 2018 and you're respective projects

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
Everybody has such mammoth goals.....

I just want some time to sit and type annoying things on the forum like I used to....

:-\
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 06:29:10 AM »
1. Finish the genny/solar/woodshed
2. Spend more time playing with my Granddaughter
3. Finish the house/sinkhole remediation
4. Spend more time playing with my Granddaughter
5. Keep the grass cut enough that I can find the porch steps
6. Spend  more time playing with my-- you know
 ;D

Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous