Author Topic: TANGYE - not a barn find, a field find  (Read 1144 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
TANGYE - not a barn find, a field find
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »
Can't call it a barn find - maybe a "paddock find" lol

Willw

• View Profile
Re: TANGYE - not a barn find, a field find
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
Is it yours? Are you going to take a stab at getting it going?
It sure looks interesting.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:49:05 AM »
Just saw it in a paddock

Think I have at least a half-dozen too many unfinished projects already

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:41:26 AM »
It looks like a steam engine.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:47:45 AM »
Scuse if this is a silly question, but is it not perhaps a water pump, to be driven by a tractor PTO?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »
I think it's internal combustion.  Certainly has a right-angle drive to a "camshaft" kinda arrangement ("sideshaft) but valves etc are mostly gone.  I don't know if it was a diesel or a petrol

The serial number will mean something to some train-spotter or rivet-counter in the ranks :)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »
Best guess . . .

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:10:41 AM »
further

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
Definitely an internal combustion engine and I believe a valuable one at that.
 Cannot believe such things have survived out by the road where anyone can see them. Here it would have been snatched up by a collector or scrap guy a long time ago. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
If it's what I consider old, antique, historic or whatever excuse my mind comes up with at the time, it comes home with me.
I have passed on too much "junk" in my time, only to regret it later (e.g OM617 Benz Diesel with tranny, 327 Chevy V8 with TH400, etc.)
My present philosophy is "I can always get rid of it later, but I will probably never come across another one".

Present case in point https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174533

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:10:42 AM »

I had an OM617 with auto I tried selling a few years ago. Couldn't give it away in the end. One guy wanted it for a boat but then whined he couldn't get water cooled manifolds for the thing when it was going to be in an open speed boat anyway.  All suggestions of wrapping or getting some made were unacceptable so he pulled out still complaining. I  had 2 engines so kept one and the other went to the scrap. About 2 years later this Arab guy turns up on the doorstep wanting it. Told him it was long gone and he kept carrying on like I was hiding it from him.  Came back a few months later asking if I " Found" it. Thank Christ I never mentioned the one I was keeping.

Took the tranny off the 2nd one, tried offloading that to any one who wanted it, same story. Went to the scrappy when I moved recently .

I get a lot of people whining on my YT channel about stuff I melt like Subaru inlet manifolds and heads.  Always someone wants them ( and has a sook usually) after the event but never anyone around before hand or willing to pay freight to get them.
I have said to people, I can get all you want, message me and I'll send them COD to you but still waiting for a single response.

A couple of months ago I had a brain fade and passed on a Cheap Kubota Lawn mower with a little diesel in it. Even the Mrs said to go get it but I was tired from trying to organise the new shed and wasn't in the state of mind to find a place for something else. Time I came to my senses a day later it was well gone.

I'll kick myself over that one for a while.