Puppeteer

Author Topic: -19 degrees. glad the glowplug came in yesterday  (Read 1744 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: -19 degrees. glad the glowplug came in yesterday
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
Good point, Gary.  The solenoid needs to be right next to the pump to have an acceptable run time after closing, and the valve must be able to handle very high suction.
Otherwise, it will be a very long wait as the fuel in the supply hoses is extracted under near vacuum- shrinking the ID of the supply tubing, etc. 

I first convinced myself it could work via pinching off the supply hose with pliers 3 inches from the pump, but then found the solenoid valve located there didn't close it hard enough against that wicked suction.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
Have you guys looked into electric ball valves? I am changing a lot of the solenoids in the equipment I work on over to them where debris tolerance is necessary and as a plus no more leaky diaphragm issues.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
Good idea, bronco. I haven't seen the China built motorized ball valves with solenoid type action (super cap for auto close when power removed) for very small diameter lines, but I have used them for water and compressed air and have been pretty happy with them except for a some QC type issues with leakers and electronics failures.  On my neighbor's propane 8/1 conversion we used them for propane, compressed air unloader, and several for various compressed air lines. 

The prices are so good I use them a lot; even 12 years ago motorized ball valves started at $350. 

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 01:10:24 AM »
I just had a look on ebay. The smaller sizes seem to have some availability now. I found low voltage 1/4" and low and line voltage 3/8". The 3/8" valve has the capacitor close function you mentioned. Maybe worth a look. The 3/8" is also rated for fuel.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:12:22 AM by broncodriver99 »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Sweet.  Thanks for checking for the small ones, Bronco.  I'll keep those smaller ones in mind.  The capacitor type with operation like a solenoid draw very little 12V current when fully open (6 ma) and only a peak of just 100ma of 12V when motoring open. Very handy!

For reference, small solenoid valves will draw 1 amp or more the whole time they are energized.  I'm off grid so I do a lot of low power designs and have learned to squeeze every milliamp (ma).

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:16 AM »
Bruce, You would have been good at spacecraft engineering... think Apollo 13.  ;D

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

davesiegler

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
i like the motorized ball valves and the price is suprisingly low. i likely will try the pintle style valve i have and try it since it will only take a few minutes to install it and try it now that i know i wont harm anything.  thanks for the input everyone.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
2* F here currently with a breeze. Thank goodness I don't have to start my disassembled 6/1. Brrrr.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »

Was a toasty 45 oC here today.
That's 113F in your wimpy American outdated measurement scale  :0)

Luckily the forecast tomorrow is cooler, only 43 oC!

I have generated nearly 200KWh on my solar this last week. I reckon I have used about 250KWh worth just on the AC.

davesiegler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
my northern blood would boil glort...ha! this time of year were doing good to get 20 kwh a day.

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
-39c here in northern alberta Ca. -40 c is the same as -40F I do believe,, very brrr

Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
I grew up outside Watertown NY and -27F was the magic number for automatic school closings.  We had 2 weeks longer school year to compensate for the lost cold days in late January.  Being a young fool, I'd don a chamais cloth face mask and go snowmobiling or skiing on those days.

-40F/C is another thing altogether...that's dangerous cold!  Do people still drive to work and such in those temperatures?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
We do in Alaska, but at those temps the travel gets dangerous. Vehicles tend to break down, moisture from exhaust hangs in the air as ice-fog, soon you cannot see across the street. I prefer a little wind and occasional cold weather in Kansas to the long deep freeze in Alaska.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »

I had a client many years ago from Alaska.

it was as hard for her to imagine 40C as it was for me to imagine -40C.
We chatted on skype a few times when we were each at those relative temps.  we were both curious how the other could survive at those temps and carry on life while to use it was normal and routine.

To me, 40 sucks but if it's low humidity, it's much better.
 -40, no thanks, I'd rather be dead which would be highly probable should I be in those conditions.