Author Topic: -19 degrees. glad the glowplug came in yesterday  (Read 7081 times)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: -19 degrees. glad the glowplug came in yesterday
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
Have you guys looked into electric ball valves? I am changing a lot of the solenoids in the equipment I work on over to them where debris tolerance is necessary and as a plus no more leaky diaphragm issues.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
Good idea, bronco. I haven't seen the China built motorized ball valves with solenoid type action (super cap for auto close when power removed) for very small diameter lines, but I have used them for water and compressed air and have been pretty happy with them except for a some QC type issues with leakers and electronics failures.  On my neighbor's propane 8/1 conversion we used them for propane, compressed air unloader, and several for various compressed air lines. 

The prices are so good I use them a lot; even 12 years ago motorized ball valves started at $350. 

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 01:10:24 AM »
I just had a look on ebay. The smaller sizes seem to have some availability now. I found low voltage 1/4" and low and line voltage 3/8". The 3/8" valve has the capacitor close function you mentioned. Maybe worth a look. The 3/8" is also rated for fuel.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:12:22 AM by broncodriver99 »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Sweet.  Thanks for checking for the small ones, Bronco.  I'll keep those smaller ones in mind.  The capacitor type with operation like a solenoid draw very little 12V current when fully open (6 ma) and only a peak of just 100ma of 12V when motoring open. Very handy!

For reference, small solenoid valves will draw 1 amp or more the whole time they are energized.  I'm off grid so I do a lot of low power designs and have learned to squeeze every milliamp (ma).

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:16 AM »
Bruce, You would have been good at spacecraft engineering... think Apollo 13.  ;D

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

davesiegler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
i like the motorized ball valves and the price is suprisingly low. i likely will try the pintle style valve i have and try it since it will only take a few minutes to install it and try it now that i know i wont harm anything.  thanks for the input everyone.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
2* F here currently with a breeze. Thank goodness I don't have to start my disassembled 6/1. Brrrr.

davesiegler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
my northern blood would boil glort...ha! this time of year were doing good to get 20 kwh a day.

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
-39c here in northern alberta Ca. -40 c is the same as -40F I do believe,, very brrr

Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
I grew up outside Watertown NY and -27F was the magic number for automatic school closings.  We had 2 weeks longer school year to compensate for the lost cold days in late January.  Being a young fool, I'd don a chamais cloth face mask and go snowmobiling or skiing on those days.

-40F/C is another thing altogether...that's dangerous cold!  Do people still drive to work and such in those temperatures?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
We do in Alaska, but at those temps the travel gets dangerous. Vehicles tend to break down, moisture from exhaust hangs in the air as ice-fog, soon you cannot see across the street. I prefer a little wind and occasional cold weather in Kansas to the long deep freeze in Alaska.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations