Author Topic: What have I got?  (Read 3674 times)

Redvanman

• View Profile
What have I got?
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
Hi all,
Newbie here so please be patient.
I have recently acquired a lister generator startomatic which was a non runner. The I.d. Plate on the bottom bracket identifys it as an SR2with a 3kv genny.
As it only has one cylinder that cannot be right.
The only other Id I can find is 201-5001-T1 on the block and 338 cast on the genny with a plate that reads shunt Reg 10amps 2 ohms.
After repairing a pair of broken wires and bleeding the derv I can now start it by putting the switch into auto and pressing reset but it only runs for about 10 secs. I should have said I have to manually drop the valve lifter as there does not appear to be any power to the solenoid and the 300w lamp does not come on.
What have I got and what is my next move ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: What have I got?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »
Post up some pictures please.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Hi Redvanman, This setup sounds very much like the unit I saw for sale in northern NSW Australia. If it is a true startomatic it should have a box, on top of the generator head, containing the starter relay, battery charging resistors and the wiring from the generator. It should also have a, second, control box containing relays. diodes and etc. It should look something like the photo attached and have a wiring diagram pasted in the back of the box.
What to do next depends on what you intend to do with it. If you wish to use it for primary power supply: strip it, rebuild it and it should last you for ten plus years. If you intend to use it as only a back up: get a service manual, change the oil and oil filter,
change or clean the air filter(depending on type), change the fuel filter. Having done all that give it a good run under load(an electric heater is ideal) and see how she runs.
With regards to the solenoids be careful, some run off 12volt or 24volt others run off the generator output, could be 240volt. Get a wiring diagram and an electricians amp/volt/resistance meter before doing anything that could potentially kill you. Better still, if in doubt, consult an electrician or post questions here.
Good luck and welcome.

Bob

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 01:20:54 PM »
Hopeful;ly here is the circuit for your S.O.M. in the separate box

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »
Hi Redvanman, I dug out my old wiring diagrams. The first is the complete diagram. the second shows the unit in standby mode and the third shows it running. Sadly the files are too big to post here. I could email them to you if you wish
Bob

Redvanman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
Thank you for your replys and sorry for the delay getting back.
After further examination I found that one of the bush holders had broken.
I was expecting problems locating a replacement but a local motor rewind company gave me the number of a company in the Midlands.
The guy there could not of been more helpful and sorted out a set for me at a resonable price.
After fitting the brushes I fired her up and the solenoid worked perfect and the kettle was soon bolling.
It was the best cup of tea I have had for a long time.
The long term future of the unit is a back up to a solar panel system at a coal mining museum.
If I can work out how to I will upload pictures when it gets installed.
I am happier with a spanner in my hand (wrench)than anything I.T.
Thanks again and I will be back as my appetite for working on these machines has been wetted and I am already looking for my next project.