Puppeteer

Author Topic: Busy Shop This Winter  (Read 6831 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Busy Shop This Winter
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:50:12 AM »
Finally pulled a bunch of the original British CS cores out of storage and currently running them through our shop for rebuild...

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:54:16 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Busy Shop This Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
Hmm, that's odd... looking at the various crank cases which are just sitting on the floor, it looks like the flywheels are at least an inch clear of the floor, and the heavy flywheels more so (ignoring the one on the SOM base in the foreground). Yet I have a pair of 6/1s which, if they're not on a base, the flywheels are ON the floor - to the point where they can actually be pushed around on their flywheels...

Did Lister use 2 different crank cases for the CS?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
As far as I know the crankcase is one of the items that seemed to stay the same throughout. Flywheels on the other hand, a dozen variations. I will measure some of the ones pictured and compare.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:01:36 PM by dieselgman »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »
Glad to see you have time to get into those Gary. That SOM base could be put to good use by me ;) ;) ;)

Ade, I have not seen a English made CS type here in the states that would not sit on the base and the flywheels clear the floor. I have seen India engines on a short crankcase but I thought it was an India derived modification? They were called GM90s by one exporter and Lovson also lists a version of it. Are the flywheels on you rengines larger than 24"? That would answer the question I think?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Glad to see you have time to get into those Gary. That SOM base could be put to good use by me ;) ;) ;)
That base is going to a client upstate New York... sorry about that! Sometimes getting to the "fun" projects is a matter of getting bored and fed-up with everything else.

The Stover SOM flywheels I have here are 25" diameter... they do not clear the floor. Some of the 6/1 spoked flywheels I have are 23 7/8" diameter and some of them are a full 24" diameter. Those will clear the floor by about 1/2". On the 8/1 flywheels I have also seen 23 3/4" diameter.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:09:48 PM by dieselgman »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »
Hmm, that's odd... looking at the various crank cases which are just sitting on the floor, it looks like the flywheels are at least an inch clear of the floor, and the heavy flywheels more so (ignoring the one on the SOM base in the foreground). Yet I have a pair of 6/1s which, if they're not on a base, the flywheels are ON the floor - to the point where they can actually be pushed around on their flywheels...

Did Lister use 2 different crank cases for the CS?

Measure your flywheels... chances are they will be around 25" diameter if they are able to wheel the block around a flat floor. I have seen no reference to Lister ever changing the block dimensions. (Indian copies on the other hand, who knows!!! That market is a free-for-all.) On our imports we do the best we can to make them conform and match the Lister original specs. I love complete parts interchange across models whenever possible. Lister was mostly very smart about this process over the years.

dieselgman

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
I'll measure them this weekend, when I'm next down at the shop. It's been too cold to go there this week, as I'm on Shanks's Pony until I get my car back (hopefully today). They're definitely Lister originals, though... and of the two engines I've got, the one that's disassembled, definitely has the flywheels maybe 1/16th lower than the base of the crank case.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
I was wondering about this too, on my 12/2 the flywheels exceed the base of the crankcase. I had to put it on the engine stand to fit the flywheels.
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
Wow, you`re going to need a bigger shop.
I predict a global shortage of spare parts.
Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
We do need a much bigger workshop. Parts have been sluggish but we have large stocks and it is better to build some engines than to just leave this stuff as junk... I am not going to live forever and it is retirement time.

dieselgman

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »
I am not going to live forever and it is retirement time.

dieselgman
We none of us live forever, the trick is to pass on what you have learned so the next generation get a chance. Problem with that is that they don`t want to know because it is dirty hard work.
Can`t see you retired, you will die with your boots on just the same as the rest of us diesel freaks, hopefully with the sound of a diesel engine that hasn`t run for thirty years ringing in your ears.
Bob.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
You are probably right Bob... thanks. My children have zero interest in this business except for the money that is involved. Grand children too scattered and not involved. When my health dictates, I will offer the business up for sale - or worst case, liquidate.

Operating as a non-profit school is a direction that interests me, and we are not far off from having the facilities/resources to support that, but still remains an energy demand that is in question at the present time.

dieselgman

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
You are probably right Bob... thanks. My children have zero interest in this business except for the money that is involved. Grand children too scattered and not involved. When my health dictates, I will offer the business up for sale - or worst case, liquidate.

Operating as a non-profit school is a direction that interests me, and we are not far off from having the facilities/resources to support that, but still remains an energy demand that is in question at the present time.

dieselgman
Hi Gary. it would be a crime against humanity if your knowledge and skills were not passed on. love the idea that you would like to teach even in a not for profit organisation. I would enrol as a student but probably wouldn`t get through customs due to my age. We all know the world is going to need a lot more engineers so why they are spending the education budget on training more computer programmers is a mystery. Perhaps the plan is to have everybody live in an alternative reality while the government loots their bank accounts.
Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
I do get to teach a bit...Interior Alaska bush schools for their maintenance staff. But that is just generator operations and maintenance and very little to do with Lister/Petter. The folks I teach don't really have any kind of passion or interest, it is just a job and in an environment where there are very few jobs available.

As far as viable career choices go, Lister does not figure much because they are basically out of business now - (even though Sleeman just purchased the rights). As far as a credible knowledge base goes, the specialized details may not matter to most, but could be generalized. L/P offered technical training most recently on their little LT air-cooled units... but they really did not go into any depths of understanding. I could perhaps see something generalized such as homestead generator design/operation/build/ & maintenance for a specialized group.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:37:00 PM by dieselgman »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
Glort, I advised both of my sons to consider (dirty) hands on type work and both took my advise. Here in the states anyone who is willing to pick up a wrench (and you dont have to know what you are doing!!!) is in high demand. Both are working 60 hours plus, earning more than the old man and have solid careers.

Here they are, a proud ole man I am

Collector and horder of about anything diesel