Author Topic: Any flicker when using a 3600 rpm head with a Roid ?  (Read 3944 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Any flicker when using a 3600 rpm head with a Roid ?
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
Hi All,

Is anyone running a house, shop, or backup power using a 3600 rpm head with a 550 - 650 rpm lister(oid) ?
I am wondering about flicker (or lack of it).
Intuitively it seems that flicker may be reduced or even eliminated when spinning a head at higher speeds.
I am thinking of swapping an 1800 rpm ST5 head for a 3600 rpm 4kw head... and flicker elimination would be a bonus. ::)
Does it make any difference ?

Veggie
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:39:36 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Any flicker when using a 3600 rpm head with a Roid ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:04 AM »
I don't believe you'll see any substantial difference due to a 3600 rpm head per se, but you certainly could see a significant difference in flicker depending on the AVR and excitation circuitry.  Is there enough "head room" in the excitation design to handle the CS compression stroke sag???  Can it then compensate fast enough as the rpm accelerates during the power stroke or is too much magnetism stored in the rotor coils and an overshoot of voltage produced???

The reduced inductance of the smaller 3600 rpm rotor could help with responsiveness, but there's no telling if the electronics will happen to work well for the CS 10Hz compression/power stroke speed variation.  An AVR with adjustments for slow and fast correction/stability might fare better than some others but it is a crap shoot.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:51:00 PM by BruceM »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Mechanically speaking you have the same number of power and compression pulses no matter what speed the head is running thus the same number of rises and falls in head RPM which we see as flicker. The actual RPM difference low to high will be 2X on the 3600 head vs 1800.  How the head and regulation reacts to all of this is another story,beinteresting to hear what you find out.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
38ac has it right...the 3600 rpm head is belted to the engine shaft and 10 Hz rotational speed variations of the engine are directly coupled.  No difference there between an 1800 or 3600 rpm head. 

The speed and stability of the voltage correction provided by the AVR and it's interaction with the lag caused by the rotor inductance is what will make any difference in the 10 Hz flicker.  It is an aircraft autopilot type of correction problem...if you try to correct pitch of the aircraft too fast without having enough dampening for rate of change in the right direction, the autopilot will make the plane oscillate in pitch.  If it is overdamped,  correction will be too slow and pitch will wander slowly.  Since the AVR designer wasn't thinking of and likely never tested with a 650 or 800 rpm engine, it's a crap shoot as to how well his design will work out on a slow speed engine.  The AVR is also limited in the amount of correction by whatever the generator head is using for an excitation source.

I hope that helps.  Perhaps I'm just adding to the confusion.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »

One of the concerns I have is that this is a backup system powering a fridge and furnace (with electronic control board).
That's where my flicker concern comes in.
So just hooking it up and trying it may be costly if these appliances are overly sensitive.

Veggie

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
+1.  Neither appliance you list will give a hoot about Listerflicker type voltage/frequency variation. 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:51:51 AM »
I have 2 appliances that don't like generator power:

1) Electric Garage Door - Does not like Listeroid power and faults to a stop half open. (ST-5 head)

2) Gas Oven ignition circuit.  Simple spark ignition, but it won't start when running off the Robin/Subaru/Hatz generator (3600 rpm, 240V 3Kw genset)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
When the power is out we run the entire house on a 15KW ST head with no extra regulation. Nothing in the house knows the difference and we have our share of electronic gizmos.  However I tried to run my 3 phase rotary converter and the milling machine while we were on stand by power and both acted very unhappy with the situation.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
ST head issues vary, and the spikes on the AC waveform cause EMI problems that are entirely unrelated to Listerflicker.  Other generator heads have similar type issues of very bad EMI on the power.  This is easily confirmed via AM radio...the AC from some gensets will blow away the entire AM band from 4 or more feet away from any cord.

Both of Mike's appliance compatibility issues are likely that of EMI susceptability and not that of waveform/voltage variation issues.

The use of a good commercial grade dual common mode choke filter will likely solve that problem.  Digikey carries them. 

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »

Great info fellas...thanks for the feedback.
<Thumbs up !>  ;)

Veggie

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »

glort,

"QUOTE: I have run computers, TV's and other electronic gear off square wave inverters and cheap generators with no AVR and NEVER had a problem."

WOW! I had no idea that computers and many electronics could be run from a modified sine inverter. Excellent !!  I have several mod sine inverters that could be put to use.

Veggie

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
A specific flywheel on a 3600 RPM head has more inertia than on a 1800 RPM head. So it's entirely possible the addition of a substantial flywheel will help more with 3600 RPM.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence