Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cylinder compression on a Lister HR4  (Read 4020 times)

DerekTW

• View Profile
Cylinder compression on a Lister HR4
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
Hi all.  My Lister HR4 starts hard, exhaust is whiteish. Before tearing down, decoking, etc, I would like to pull the injectors and check the compression. I can't find any where what the compression readings should be. I am assuming 350 psi or better. I also assume one needs a dummy injector to do the test.  Thanks, Derek.
Lister HR4 / 18 KW generator
Lister Petter LPW4 / 16.1 KW generator
Kubota L4740
John Deere Marine 4.5L PowerTech

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Cylinder compression on a Lister HR4
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »
While cylinder compression is not the usual diagnostic for the old Listers, you can test with a dummy injector as stated. 450 psi would be a good baseline as far as I remember. Standard testing would be crankcase vacuum instead to indicate ring and valve function. You might just have a fuel problem with white smoke, change out the injectors.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DerekTW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Hi Dieselgman. Where can I get a dummy injector for the HR4? I say it is a compression issue only because when I give the air intake a blast of hot air, she starts, but still hard. Diesels need either warm air or warm fuel to start, so I was told that many years ago. With that said, checking the compression, and removing the intake and exhaust manifolds to have a peek at the valves for coke buildup, would be a start. When I have the injectors out, I can check them and the spray pattern as well. I still need to find out where to get a dummy injector for testing first though. This HR4 and 18KW Kato are a tank, she only runs at 1200 rpm, 60 hz, weights over 3000 lbs. Thanks, Derek.
Kubota L4740

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »
Nice unit! Must be using 6-pole genhead and that makes these very reliable and maybe somewhat better on fuel consumption.

I might have the injector adapter in the cobwebs - back shelf somewhere. I will let you know if I can put hands on it. Otherwise, you could fabricate on a small lathe without much trouble.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DerekTW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:48:31 PM »
Hi Dieselgman, yea, I could make one on my lathe, but need a pattern or an old injector to do so. I am reluctant to start any kind of teardown until I have the tools necessary to do the tests. As Murphy's Law says, as soon as I start a tear down, then the power goes out, and I don't have a genny running. Yes, it is a 6 pole alternator. This unit was made to run 24/7/365, even though it was only ever used for a back up. Yea, if you have a test injector for the HR4, I would love to borrow it, or even buy it. If I had an old injector, I could retrofit it to connect to a pressure gauge. Thanks, Derek.
Kubota L4740