Author Topic: Identify this Bamford?  (Read 15553 times)

basewindow

• View Profile
Re: Identify this Bamford?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »
Video link to youtube.

https://youtu.be/hUJXb6-WZt4

Takes 3 attempts to start.

Then a quick view running.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Cam.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »

Pretty much the last update on the BAMFORD SD1 3.5HP. Seems the starting issues are beginning to resolve themselves as time goes on. Also seems there is a bit if technique involved with the first start. Maybe I'm just used to the relatively easy start of the Lister CS. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. A couple of before and after pics. Thanks all for you help and suggestions,.

1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 06:04:06 PM »
Looks really good Cam - a great bit of work!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
She looks great,  I have a fondness for Bamfords since 38ac did a project engine for the forum.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
 Yup, looking great. I'd love to have an SD type.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 08:30:13 PM »
Yes, in the video, I was priming it quite a bit, and as you say I think too much.  Seems now I just prime it so I can heard the injector creak, also the oiling cup, needs to be primed to get some oil down into it (Somehow when I had the head off and was cleaning it up, I missed this and it was blocked), then once cranking it needs a few more turns after the decompression lever is dropped. You can feel it wanting to start and if you give it a few more turns to help it along it will now normally start first or second time. Once its started the first time for the day, its usually pretty easy after that. As you say, seems just to be a matter of working out the best procedure and technique for yours and generally disregard whats in the manual.
From what I have read the Bamford SD are notoriously difficult starters.
The decals I got from Rally Badges Online. Was looking for some for the Lister CS originally,  thinking there would be nothing for the Bamford, but sure enough, they had some. From what I can tell it looks pretty original.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:00 AM »
On the MB 300D engine, the valve clearances and timing are reportedly critical to good starting in cold weather.  I wasn't convinced until my cold starting improved dramatically after putting in an offset key to compensate for chain stretch, and re-timing the IP.  I need to adjust the valves again, I've got one cylinder that's no catching when it's cold.

I'm not sure how veggie oil might affect that, but since it's fussy on dino...

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Almost all the 300D's stateside US are turbo'd. I didn't do it, but cranking up the turbo boost pressure and defeating the over pressure valve is supposed to have the go like a scalded cat, till the engine burns up if you don't back off.  Without the turbo at 5600ft it's pedal to the floor at all times unless stopping, dog. 

I got my hands on one that had a virgin ALDA, the altitude IP adjust.  Over time the baro bellows get weak and the mix gets too lean at altitude.   Popped the factory plastic seal and riched up the fuel mixture till it would leave a little black in the exhaust if you flat out stomped on it. That sure is a performance changer. 

They are getting hard to find in good condition these days.  I've got my '85 300D driver and a parts car with a good tranny and a bad injection pump.  Every year it loses a few more bits. 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:33:04 PM by BruceM »