Author Topic: Identify this Bamford?  (Read 15552 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Identify this Bamford?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
The SD is quite a bit different than the later Z types that I am familiar with so I am of little help but keep posting and pics please. ;D ;D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
A little work on the sd1 today.

Removed injector and checked spray which was fine mist and seemed ok. Put a bit of oil into cylinder as sugested.

Put a few fiber washers in varoius parts of fuel system to stop a few minor slow leaks, then bled.

Primed using lever and got good injector creak.

Removed side covers and quick check of valves and pushrods.  Gave it all a good clean and lubrication.

Gave her crank just to see. Smoke from the exhaust but no fire as yet. Will play with the fuel timing and see if this helps.

Couple of pics.

1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
Finally found some time to work on the Bamford today after quite a long while.

Started by stripping off all the fuel system, fuel lines, injector, pump, filter etc, quick lube and clean.

Then all ancillary items from the head, rocker lubrication panels, front, rear and side panels, and exhaust. Again quick clean.

Then put the head on the bench and had a good look.

Found a lovely old wasps nest almost completely blocking and clogging the exhaust valve outlet and exhaust. Combustion chamber pretty sooted up. Inlet value pretty clear. After a good cleaning with wire brushes and various fluids it came up pretty well and both valves, seats and springs looking good. Decided not to completely remove valve assembly at this stage as it seemed to be functioning.

Piston looked quite clean and cylinder didn’t appear to have much wear or any pitting.

Drained oil. Removed all the bolts to allow the crank case to pivot, and had a quick look inside. Quite clean actually, everything well lubricated and operating smoothly.

On to the various covers I’d removed, degrease and clean and then even a bit of paint.

Many of the bolts don’t look original and some have been welded and repaired or modified. On inspection most of the brass fittings a well worn and again soldered, repaired and modified.

The pumps working well along with the injector, although the injector has a bit of pitting on the shaft.

The flywheels and associated governor system had a good clean and lube and appear functional.

At this stage everything looks to be in working order and hopefully it should only be a matter of getting the fuel and valve timing right to get her going. I hope.

Anyway plenty more cleaning and painting to go before she goes back together.

Last photo silver wheel/disc on the side of the fuel pump mount, advances/retards fuel timing, but which way?
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
She's all back together and 95% painted etc. BUT......

Somethings not right. Am I losing the plot here?

Just to confirm things per the first picture attachment, when looking at the bamford side on with the Start/Run handle on the left, this it the intake valve side correct? And conversely the Exhaust value is on the right.

We spin the flywheel clockwise.

If I interpret the markings on the picture of another originl flywheel from another member correctly its EC marking is to the left of TDC in that picture and the IO is to the right of TDC. About 145mm either side.

As mine doesnt appear to have the markings I marked them on the wheel spinning clockwise. EC - Exhaust valve closed completely. IO - Intake valve begins to open. They are both about 75mm either side of TDC. About half the distance of the original.

It was then I realised mine were the complete opposite per the second pic.

Am I missing something here??

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
Well finally some time to get out out in the shed and on the Bamford.

Pretty much started from scratch checking things over and making sure all seemed ok.

As a last resort i connected it up to my Lister CS and got some starter spray.

And what do you know, after a few puffs, she kicked into action and ran. Bit like a hit and miss engine at first but then it settled.

Disconnected it from the Lister and she ran on her own. Let it go for about two minutes and then shut her down.

Tried to hand crank her again but with no success.

Using the Lister again she started and ran again. Shut the fuel off for a while and before she lost too many revs opened it again and she continued to fire and run.

After about another two minutes or so i shut her down. Cranking by hand again was no start, but at least I know she goes.

Guessing fuel spill timing and or valve timing. Any other thoughts?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 04:42:03 AM »
Good work there.  I wonder what your compression is like?  If it sat for a while some of those rings might be stuck in their grooves?  Just a thought.  Good luck

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 06:56:03 AM »
I too, am thinking compression.  Having a good stout pony engine to spin it enough to light it off is good.

Several points to loose compression, rings or valves

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts, if you can get it running and up to temperature you could probably do a bit of a running de-coke by squirting some water into the air intake, if you give it too much it will bog down. Might be enough to clean the exhaust valve and improve compression. Another idea would be to run some injector cleaning fluid in a liter of fuel, a poor spray pattern can make an engine hard to start.

Is there an adjuster on the de-compression lever? Could be that the valve isn`t closing fully or that the valve tappet clearance is too small.

I`d be very tempted to load it up with something (maybe your CS) and then give it a good run.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Further to my previous post, I wonder what the pop pressure is on the injector, probably hasn`t been checked for fifty or sixty years and springs weaken with age.

Bob

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 09:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, its all helpfull.

A little more progress after a bit more tinkering yesterday with valve clearances and  fuel timing. Really just trying different settings, dont know what the valve clearances should be and same with the fuel timing adjuster.

Got the apprentices apprentice(Wife), to give her a dose of spray as I hand cranked (got her spinning pretty fast) AND made sure I gave the priming handle a dozen or so goes beforehand. She burst into life no worries. Let it run again for 2 or 3 minutes and shut her off. A little white smoke at start but none after.

A minute or so later I hand cranked again without starter spray and she fired ok. Looks positive. Guess its been 20 to 30 years since its run so, fair enough that she's taking a while to settle back into life.

Still not running smoothly but thinking that might be a governor issue.
Governor system and weights are external on the flywheel and were struck solid previously. I have unfrozen them and given it good lubrication, but I think they are still not moving freely enough or adjusted correctly. More playing and experimentation needed. Have some more enthusiasm and motivation now Im seeing smoke.

I'll post some pics and maybe a vid next week.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
go real easy on the starter spray.  It can (and has) blow an engine.  Put water in so you can run it, and let it run for a while, see if things will loosen up.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
Thanks Mike, I know about the starter spray issues and only used  it as a last resort. Now I know she runs I'll stay away from the stuff.
It will be all shoulder and arm work from now on or use another engine if I have to.
Yep when I get some water connections sorted I'll put a tank on it and give it a good run.
Cheers.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
Well done Basewindow, looks like you are making progress. There is a Bamford enthusiasts site in the UK don`t know if they can help you with specs or manuals but they do offer a dating facility: https://henrybamfordandsonsuttoxeterengland.co.uk/

Bob

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 10:12:26 AM »
Not looking for a relationship with the Bamford quite yet ajaffa1, but I'll keep it in mind if the wife ever leaves me. She does have a nice new paint job tho. The Bamford that is, not the wife. ;D😆

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 05:36:08 PM »
With everything, fuel and compression related up to snuff it should start on the first compression down to at least 40F,maybe colder. I am certain that in the Z series manual it states that they will start from cold down to "X" temp.   Sometimes when they have sat  for years all it takes is a bit of running and they will fix themselves but my experience is that if doesn't happen quickly it doesn't happen at all. 
When I have run into your situation the process of elimination is this and after each step you check starting from cold.
A-Listen for leaks from the valves under compression.
B-Run it for 15 minutes or so.
C-Check injection timing
D-Check injector for pop off pressure and pattern
E-Remove head and set squish or bump as they say.
F- Remove piston and rod and Check condition of bearing, rings and top ring land.

Every Bamford diesel I have been into (which is only 4) has started hard and when I got into them it was due either large squish from bad con rod bearing and/or worn crankshaft or top ring lands that were worn badly. Squish it set via shims under the head gasket, if your lucky there will be several left, if not it gets into real money quickly as I said earlier, off the shelf parts do not exist.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel