Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab  (Read 50607 times)

basewindow

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
Maybe a help or not, but there is a guy in Aust, South QLD or Nth NSW (cant remember) who sells Listeroid parts etc. He's  retired now but still has many parts in stock and import contacts.  I can get you his details if you like.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
Stephen from Oz Listeroids?  That's where I got my JKSon Listeroid from. The site is still active

http://www.ozlisteroids.com

Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »

Y'know Jaffa I'm sure I remember welding to key-syeel and having it fail?  Getting old and the memory-retrieval ain't what it used to be.  If you warmed up the stub of the key and used an RSP electrode maybe?  '

I'll be interested to see how that turns out as I have a snapped-off Gib on the crank of an old 3/1 I need to get out one day

Cheers

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
Yep, stephen from Oz Listeroids. Helped me out with a few bits.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:35:08 PM by basewindow »
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Thanks to all for suggesting Oz listeroids. I was aware of Stephen. he is based in Woolgoolga just north of Coffs Harbour. I believe he is retired now but he emailed me list of parts with prices 6 months ago.

Y'know Jaffa I'm sure I remember welding to key-syeel and having it fail?  Getting old and the memory-retrieval ain't what it used to be.  If you warmed up the stub of the key and used an RSP electrode maybe?  '

I'll be interested to see how that turns out as I have a snapped-off Gib on the crank of an old 3/1 I need to get out one day

Cheers
Thanks Mike, yes you are right it is asking for trouble to weld different grades of steel to one another, however very often the heat from the welding process is sufficient to shock the gib key out of it`s hole. Please see photos and explanations below.

Well. back to How it`s going. Sadly didn`t do much yesterday, had to go for a psychiatric assessment as part of my rehabilitation. Spent two hours with the guy discussing the merits of old iron. He will probably tell the insurance company that I took a much harder hit to my head than they thought. This morning was wasted on an occupational therapist that is so busy she can only see me for 45 minutes every 2 months. Whinge over, had a great afternoon:
Tackled the issue of the stuck/broken gib key. Welded a length of 12mm stud rod to the remaining key. Cut up an old tin can to protect the crankshaft from weld spatter. Improvised a puller out of some steel tube and steel bar(see photos). Worked a treat but not first time, managed to snap the stud rod first time. Worked like a charm the second time. Key is out! :)
Removed flywheel after a quick clean up of the shaft. Crankshaft looks good, no noticeable wear or corrosion to main bearing journals; less than 1 thou wear in the big end journal.(happy as a pig in sh1t)
Started the horrible job of cleaning out the crankcase, flushed out with Kerosene followed by degreaser and a pressure washer, No go, hardly touched the crap in there. Had to resort to a hammer and chisel to remove the gunk. I believe that this engine was probably used in the processing of sugar cane and over the last 60plus years it has caramelised onto the inside of the crankcase.(not so happy, more hard work)
Oil lines are similarly choked with something resembling toffee, how the main bearings survived without lubrication is a mystery and testament to the robust nature of these old engines. How long would a modern engine last with no oil pressure?
Looking forward to having that crankcase clean tomorrow.
Bob.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 04:10:37 PM »
Nice work on the welded threaded rod puller!
I hope your own recovery proceeds with the good pace of your Lister restoration.
Thanks for sharing your progress photos.
Bruce

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
Good progress Bob! i think your ingenuity could evolve into a new style of gib key puller, you'd just need to modify the welded end to a sturdy hook/eye to reliably grab the key end. it would have some advantages over the collar approach that I currently use. I've had trouble with key gib ends that sit too high for the collar to slip over.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:35:03 PM by Samo »
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »
Nice work on the welded threaded rod puller!
I hope your own recovery proceeds with the good pace of your Lister restoration.
Thanks for sharing your progress photos.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce for the encouragement and get well wishes. I`m going ok and will keep posting.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
Good progress Bob! i think your ingenuity could evolve into a new style of gib key puller, you'd just need to modify the welded end to a sturdy hook/eye to reliably grab the key end. it would have some advantages over the collar approach that I currently use. I've had trouble with key gib ends that sit too high for the collar to slip over.
Thanks Samo, glad you like it, worked in sawmills for a while, badly corrosive environment with lots of seized gib keys on shafts up to 150mm diameter, had to improvise a lot.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
The old git went well today. Got very dirty and banned from the house by the wife.
Managed to clean crap out of crankcase, it now looks like this:
Very disappointed to find a 2 inch crack in crankcase, I suspect that some f*ckwit bolted it down without the correct shims in place. I will try to braze it tomorrow unless someone here has a better suggestion.
There has been a lot of talk about the casting sand found in a lot of the Indian Listeroid engine, I found casting sand in the crankcase of my original Lister Cs.(see photo) I know it is blasphemy to question the skills of the foundry men who built these, so I guess the apprentice was having an off day. All covered in red oxide paint so not free to contaminate bearings & etc.
I mentioned yesterday that the oil strainer and oil feed pipes were clogged with something resembling toffee.(see photo)Could be that sugar cane/sugar has some lubricating properties we have missed.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
Vee that crack viciously with an angle  grinder, LOTS of heat and bronze it.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Vee that crack viciously with an angle  grinder, LOTS of heat and bronze it.

Right, that crack doesn't look that threatening at all. I would also drill a small relief hole at the very top end of the thing to reduce the tendency it may have to spread further.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:09:23 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
The old git went well today. Got very dirty and banned from the house by the wife.
Managed to clean crap out of crankcase, it now looks like this:
I mentioned yesterday that the oil strainer and oil feed pipes were clogged with something resembling toffee.(see photo)Could be that sugar cane/sugar has some lubricating properties we have missed.

All that black sludge is present in most all of the older examples of this engine I have dealt with. I have seen gelled oil as well... almost impossible to remove with common solvents. Yours is looking good!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Mine had the same goo in it. Nasty stuff. I found some industrial concrete cleaner/degreaser with 2 pages of warning labels that cut most of it out. The rest I scrubbed out with kerosene. I was covered from head to toes with it as well.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »
Ah the joys of cleaning the crankcase. Went through about three sets of overalls that i just ended up throwing out rather than even attemp to clean. Made the mistake of putting them in the washing machine once before. For the next few days everything else that went through stank of diesel. Wife wasnt happy. Dont know how many boxes of rubber gloves i went through or cans of solvent and degreaser and a good few litres of diesel.

Now i have just bought a Bamford to restore so the joy starts all over again!

Looking good so far ajaffa1, and good luck with the rest of it and the rehab.