Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab  (Read 17041 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2018, 02:24:12 AM »

You embarrass me Bob. That was a REALLY good suggestion I never thought of... although I have done it many times.

I used to do a lot of corporate and event work. Fund raisers, Charity balls, Presentation nights etc.  We used to shoot on a green screen and then drop in the background. I have done it for 21Sts where they wanted something like a Disney theme and they all came dressed up and I dropped in the various backgrounds. Did it for my Nieces 21st 5 years ago and still get comments from her friends when I bump into them.
Would have to be studio shooting but the Mrs has said to use the Front lounge room so it's very doable.

I was bloody good at the greenscreen work too and took it to levels loads of people told me could never work.  One thing I did which was profitable but also closed down was photographing kids at swim schools and doing pics of them underwater.  For a christmas theme, one year I put the greenscreen in the water over the side of the pool and shot the kids against it then had an artist make me up some underwater fantasy backgrounds with old shipwrecks and the like and dropped them on that.  Was a HUGE success and I got run off my arse with it.  About everyone I asked about it said it couldn't possibly be done even after I had done it a LOAD of times. parents loved it and we charged a premium price and got multiple image orders more than we got singles.

That work came to a halt as well. All the pools whom are run by council or management groups got all PC over " child protection " and "privacy"  and even though I did get parents en masse to let the pools know they wanted me back, they cited litigation reasons and wouldn't allow it.  Only takes one whining pain in the arse to put the fear of god in them and that's it.

I miss that work too. Was hardest work I ever did as I could be shooting 4000 Kids a week but I could pull 10K+ a week out of it CLEAR! Even the little pools with only 1500 kids were still worth  3-5K a week.  I would do them back to back every week, 6 days a week, all school term. Would kill me now but I'd be smarter and hire people to do it for me and run multiple sites at once and just manage them.

Worrying about what other people think..... Yeah normally I don't, but I have to admit this one does concern me. Maybe because I have seen so many of these perverts with a camera and dislike them so much I really don't want to be seen as something I hate. Maybe normally I'd be seen as a weirdo or nut case which is fine but to be seen as having bad intentions and maybe a predator of some kind, that is different.
Spose you are right, should just grow a pair and not worry.  My mindset is not as it used to be however and maybe I have been worrying about this too much.  I know I'm good at what I do, I have the letters and cards and emails to show people are happy.

You should become a Councillor Bob. You certainly benefit and wake me up better than most " professionals" I have seen.  Thank you.

I did try the car and girls thing many years ago. It was a complete Flop.
It seems a lot of car owners or their wives have the same hangup as I do about how that would be perceived. I remember one guy telling me the deal with the wife to have the car was no girls were to ever be around it, photographed with it or anything else. Many just thought it was too cliche'.
The market for that now would be the young blokes with the turbo Rice Rockets and there are a heap of guys that got a camera for Christmas running round doing that, usually for nothing.

The other problem would be the very reason I got out of shooting Motor sport.... 50 guys with a camera in every car club and 150 at any given race meeting.  I used to cover v8 Supercars, Drags and Club events but there was just no money in it.  Was OK to go out for the day and stand on the pit wall as supercars Blew past 3 abreast at 280K and know one thing went wrong and you were dead, but it was hard work and like any hard work that didn't return on the effort put in, the gloss soon wore off.

The stuff I really loved doing was the commercial and industrial work.  Going into factories, Quarries, Mines, Building sites, doing openings of places, shooting annual reports,  New equipment installs, even portraits of the Board.  How many High school dropouts can tell the managing director of a corporation what to do and then be taken out to lunch by them? It was great work and paid a fortune but changes to the tax laws, the advent of Digital camera's where they could give an employee the PR job etc pretty much killed that. Was only talking to a guy on a forum from the UK last week that was telling me how he was the biggest in the UK for over a decade but does not know anyone that can still do the corporate industrial work without things like family portraits etc and make a decent living.

Times have changed and it's difficult to find a niche in this game now..... which was why I went to the glam work in the first place.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
Hey Glort, glad I could help.

I think you already know the answers, you`re no fool. You can make a living out of glamour photography but are worried about being considered some sort of weirdo pervert, so you need to involve your wife or employ a female or gay assistant to act as chaperone, makeup artist and back up if anyone ever suggests some sort of impropriety.

Start there and then follow what ever leads develop. Don`t be afraid of saying yes to something new, also saying NO to anything that you would feel uncomfortable doing. Anything you can`t make your mind up about, check the bank balance then discus with your Wife.

Love the idea of underwater photography, just the sort of niche you need to find. It is possible to get police record checks and permits to work with children for both yourself and any staff you employ, once again always ensure that there is another person to act as chaperone. Just be very careful that the photographs you take are only given to the parents, any originals you keep for back up must be kept secure to ensure the perverts on the internet can never get access, a stand alone server with no internet access is the way to go.

High school drop out eh? I got expelled!  :laugh: Best thing that ever happened to me, until then I was on the path to university, followed by a predictable future in the corporate world. Thankfully, I can honestly say I have had a much more interesting and very satisfying life.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »
Well guys, I got a bit more done today on restoring the old girl. The camshaft is now fitted and the IP end cover is in place, very happy with the alignment, all cam followers rotate and the IP roller lifter is centered on the cam lobe. The oil pump also appears to be working and well aligned. (See photo)

I have also turned up a new shaft for the rocker assembly, hardened it and tempered it ready to install. (see photo)

I`ve been trying to find a local machine shop to skim the cylinder head and put a sleeve in the cylinder block. I think I have found a guy to do the work and am hoping he won`t be to expensive. I`d much rather restore what I have than spend anymore money on imported Indian sh1t that never meets expectations and is usually a mile out of tolerance.

I will try to make up another offset spigot for the idler gear this week. 40 thou offset for the next one.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

Sounds like it should be up and running in time so I can see it when I get there.

I might do some therapy myself tomorrow and spend some time playing with one of my engines I have been wanting to set something up with.
Just a China Diesel on an alternator but I miss having a high output battery charger around the place. If I can find my inverters, Might hook one up with it so it's good for AC as well at least for a few hundred watts.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
Hey Glort,  when are you coming? Always good to have a deadline even if I have no chance of meeting it, at least it will give me the motivation to try. Would love for you to be here for first smoke and to take some of the credit and a lot of thanks for all your good advice.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Back from NZ on the 18th Nov so up there some time between the 19th and 23rd.  I can give you fair warning closer to the time so you can make sure you are not home when I arrive. :0)

Don't know why you think I am due any credit for anything? Few half arsed suggestions don't mean much.  The work you have done on the engine leaves my skills well for dead.  Would be nice to be there to do a vid to put up for everyone that has followed your work to see the culmination thereof.
If this one isn't up and running we can get  the other one running on Veg.  Not much to it on these old robust machines.

My plans for generator play today got thwarted with RAIN!  Not at all sad about that.
By my gauge we got 8mm last night and another 14 today.  I went out when the sun came out late in the afternoon and was pulling weeds in the garden.  The dirt was lucky to be wet 50mm down, not even the root depth of the weeds.
Always said anything under 20mm was useless, Might have to revise that up another 10mm.

I was thinking I might skip mucking with the 12V gen and go back to the tractor. I have the materials I need and got the bits to put my MIG and plasma Cutter back in action.  Shouldn't take a lot to do the new engine mounts which I am also thinking to brace up to make a point to mount the plough blade.
Been watching some YT vids and the thing really does need a diesel sound even if it was born with a petrol engine.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
Hey Buddy, the only things that are going to keep me from meeting You and your Wife are death and doctors appointments. I shall do my best to avoid both.

As for credit, I credit you and all the forum members for giving me the support, enthusiasm, knowledge and strength to see this through.

As for rain, it`s pissing down here thank God. Hoping some of the drought effected farmers are getting some. Give it a week and I`ll have to start cutting the bloody grass again, not an easy task with better than ten acres. Never understood how weeds can grow in pasture so dry the grass dies, how does fireweed survive, it`s roots are only 20mm deep?

Looking forward to more about the root terminator plough, just don`t let it get away from you, I have visions of it going cross country tearing up pipes, fences and the NBN with catastrophic consequences.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »
Give it a week and I`ll have to start cutting the bloody grass again, not an easy task with better than ten acres.

Do you have a tractor and a Slasher or do it with a ride on? That would take a while.
That said, my fathers front yard is about 1.5 Acres. Half acre is clear, the other acre is an effing obstacle course of trees and shrubs planted by his lousy vile bitch of a wife before she finally did the right thing and stopped wasting oxygen.  The half acre takes no time, straight long strips. The acre takes 5x or more longer as you are always going round something and doubling back.
Convinced Dad to rip a few out with the tractor so it's getting better but still a giant pain. Could be done with the slasher if it was reasonably clear.

Never understood how weeds can grow in pasture so dry the grass dies, how does fireweed survive, it`s roots are only 20mm deep?

Dew.
Being shallow rooted they can get the moisture from the early morning condensation (DEW/ Fog ) before it burns off in the sun.

I noticed today all my paths are getting over run with new weeds coming up between the pavers.
Time for my DIY ultimate and total weed eradication solution. It's high tech, sophisticated, taken decades to develop the procedure and a seceret Gubbermints and Big biz do not want the secret of getting out.

Take one oil Burner,  apply burner to gas water heater tank ( with gas burner removed) and boil water.  125L tank, about 10-15 Min.  (gas copper is good too if you have one)
Apply boiling water to weeds.
Rest up and drink beer after your strenuous exercise in achieving a job perfectly done.

100% weed removal even on things like Onion weed with the 1000 little bulbs per plant that always re germinate with any other method.
 ZERO soil contamination, residue, pesticides. Will not harm surround plants ( unless you drank beer BEFORE you started) .
Cost?  a lot less than a cup of coffee that's for sure! Garden beds can be replanted 1-2 hours after application and are even pre watered.
For large areas, Burner flame can be applied direct just like they use gas flame burners in agriculture.

For ultimate removal of trees that council refuse to let you take out, Just apply hot water repeatedly as many times over a week as possible from 6ft up the tree trunk and let run down in copious amounts until leaves eventually fall off.
Council will come, test soil and take samples of tree for poisons and find...... Nothing at all.  :laugh:
You will then be issued with your Development approval to remove said tree before it removes a large chunk of your house.

Looking forward to more about the root terminator plough, just don`t let it get away from you, I have visions of it going cross country tearing up pipes, fences and the NBN with catastrophic consequences.

Yeah, need to work on the plough design.  Took a lot of pics of Ploughs at the engine show the other day and think I have the concept basically understood in my head now. Don't need to turn the sod, just cut it cleanly.   Once I put the the Diesel on the little tractor with a smaller pulley as I can get to fit cheap.  It will be unstoppable.  Slower than a snail, but not too many fences it wouldn't go through round here. Pipes are only in danger from my post hole Digger. Bit of repair to do on that front still.
Ripping up NBN..... No one would notice and if they did, they sure as hell wouldn't care.  Big fuss of it coming to the area, no one seems to have heard of anyone getting a half reliable or usable service out of it yet! Endless nighmare stories of people being without phone or internet for months.

I think the biggest problem with the walking tractor is Weight and traction.  I have been looking at YT vids and determined the best way to go is to build a trailer that attaches to it on which I can mount implements and carry loads. With my fat backside bearing down towards the driven wheels, the loading should increase about 20 Fold and grip should be greatly improved. Got some nice new car wheels for it as well with wider and larger diameter tyres.
Was wondering how I could attach cleats or spikes to really make the things Bite?

Failing that, I was speaking to my father tonight and he got a car in today he thinks the drive train is screwed in... at least for replacement parts.
I said I'll take everything bar the engine as well as the brakes and steering rack.  I want to shorten and narrow everything and make myself a 4WD tractor. Gear the thing RIGHT down with a centrifugal clutch driving a big sprocket as I won't need more than about 10 kmh to get it from the front yard to the back and ploughing, spreading and dragging can be done at 2Kmh  without problem.
I'll use a 6HP Diesel but if that should prove inadequate, I have a 12 and 30 available and maybe by the weekend, a 3 Cyl inline 18 Hp as well.

Just can't do without the right size machinery. Make's jobs you put off forever fun tasks you can't wait to get to and that keeps her indoors happy.... and quite.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
Loving the lazy mans approach to weeding. Got to get me one of those veg oil burners.

In the UK if a tree needed killing we would knock a couple of copper roofing nails into the trunk, worked a treat, took a while but the council never worked it out.

Lawn mowing is done with a 42 inch ride on mower. Takes ages and stops me playing with engines.  :(
Would love a tractor and slasher but they cost money I don`t have and can`t earn.

Can`t wait to see the new improved root ripping plough.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Well guys, I dropped nearly $600 on parts today. Rob at Old Timer Engines must be a very happy man. Gone as far as I can with what I`ve got. Will be taking the old cylinder block to be sleeved tomorrow. Rob has found me a serviceable original CAV injector pump, it`s off a 3/1 so I have ordered a new larger element. Hope it fits.

So i`m unable to make any further progress on the engine for a week or two. Instead I decided to dismantle the new (non compliant) Chinese ST5 generator head I have. I`m not surprised it`s not compliant, it`s not as bad as it might have been but it`s certainly not pretty inside. I have a pair of new decent sealed Japanese bearings for it, so I pulled the old ones out. Please see photos. What sort of a maniac would fit unsealed bearings in an alternator in this day and age?

The slip rings have furrows in them that I could plant potatoes in, so that will be going to the lathe for a skim and polish. The carbon brush holders are a joke and the alignment with the slip rings is an absolute disgrace.
No wonder China has a reputation for delivering cheap cr*p.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »

I haven't picked my genny up yet. Seeing your pics, I'm having distinct 2nd thoughts! Let me know what you ultimately think.
You are right about the brush holders!  Again I am just amazed how these things give any sort of acceptable service in their home markets. People there I can't see pulling new stuff apart to fix it... nor  greasing bearing on a regular basis.

I have got a lot of Chinese gear and always had great service from it but that is just unbelievably poor workmanship.
No wonder they were being scrapped!

I didn't work on the tractor today, I was going to but then looked at the shipfight of a garage and knew what the greater priority was.
Grew a pair and worked rather than played.  Clearly that task is a greater mental challenge than anything else.  Not a matter of too much junk, I can't even figure out where to put and how to organise the basic everyday things!

Hand tools, power tools, electrical components by the box, Plumbing, electronics, metal working, wood working, Lights, Cables, Engines, Solar related, engine parts, Nuts, bolts, screws, slings, chains, Tool battery charges......  None of it is anything like junk but trying to organsie it in a PRACTICAL, not just a pretty way that's a pain every time you want something is giving me anxiety! Still yet to even build a bench in the place but I at least have collected plenty of heavy timber for the frame.  Last bench I built at the other place was awesome.  Time I pulled it apart was easier to start again.

I did a little work on the plough but soon realised it's not going to be easy. Really need something to bend and curve metal which I'm not even close to atm.  Might be easier if ugly to cut some bits of metal with the plasma then weld them back together at the desired angles and shape.
It's more intricate than one would first thing as you really need to re direct the dirt rather than just dead head it as it were... at least on this small scale.

Might even look at doing the ride on trailer first. Might let me get away with more but I'll still need the compactness of the tractor only for doing the edging on the garden beds.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
Bob is that the reasonably priced generator you got from ozlisteroids?
It looks like a fair bit of work to get it to reliable operation.

Is this the same generator as Glort has ? As I have one also in the pipe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
Hi OSM, yes it is the one I purchased from Ozlisteroids. In fairness to Stephen Hutson ( the proprietor) he told me they were non compliant and would require the slip rings skimming and the bearings replacing. He provided the new bearings and an AVR at no extra cost. I believe that after the recommended modifications it will be a reliable unit. Re aligning the brushes with the slip rings should be a no-brainer for anyone with half decent vision.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
thanks Bob,

i just realized that muck that looks like rust on the bearings and shaft is the legendary, magic yak fat Chinese  grease.

So Some sealed bearings from NSK Timkin or SKF, shold do the job properly.

I have seen new brush blocks on ebay far better than whats in these, so i should be ok.

Thanks Andrew.

will be following your rebuild with much intrest, hoping Stephen can get mine to me before Christmas. Would give me something to do over the break.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »
Hi OSM, I`ll try to do some more on it tomorrow and post some more pics, think I can probably make a silk purse out of this particular sows ear. The windings are copper and look to be OK, I`ll check them with a meter in the morning. A little adjustment to the positioning of the carbon brushes should be easy enough. I guess we get what we pay for, I could have spent $1500 on a Stamford clone.

Bob