Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab  (Read 9436 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
I have requested them along with our current parts shipment. Not yet confirmed. I have removed them before and that required both heat and a 30-ton press pushed fairly high in its range. This indicates a heated and pressed installation method as well. The trick is to expand the gear without killing all of its hardening temper. Great finesse is called for to avoid overheating and this is why they are generally not messed with outside of original assembly. Proper alignment is the other thing that is sketchy about the job. There is no keyway and no guide marking... you have to get it in place correctly for TDC on the crank to align properly with valve timing.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Sound like a very challenging operation. Please let me know when you get delivery.

I am assuming that these are very hard so the old one could probably be removed by cutting most of the way through with a disk grinder and then splitting it with a cold chisel.

Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
Affirmative, the gear is of quite hardened material. I have not tried cracking one loose, but that should work OK as long as you don't have an accident that damages the crankshaft in the process.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Affirmative, the gear is of quite hardened material. I have not tried cracking one loose, but that should work OK as long as you don't have an accident that damages the crankshaft in the process.

dieselgman
Thanks Gary, I`ve been splitting bearings off shafts for 30 plus years with no problem, so if this one goes wrong it`s because you put some sort of Dieselgman hex on me. Looking forward to the challenge and I think I can overcome the issue of alignment. Time will tell. The worst that can happen is that I will have to buy a new crankshaft, which is where this conversation started.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
Hi Guys, haven`t posted much recently, been poorly and will have to go to Brisbane to see a spine surgeon. Don`t know how that`s all going to work out.

On a more positive note I have managed to make some new governor pins. Used 8mm silver steel rod hardened and tempered. Reamed out the holes in the governor weights and camshaft gear. No discernible slop in mechanism  :)

Today I received some 5/8 brass bar to replace the worn plunger in the oil pump. Does anyone know what the original length should be? I have measured what is left of mine and get a length of 3.892 inches. The nearest size in imperial size would be  3 & 29/32 inch (3.90625) very close to 99mm. This would be an odd size to use but I find it hard to believe that the plunger could have worn/deformed from 4inch.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Well guys and girls, I have finally managed to get a small interim payment, for my injuries, out of an insurance company. It has only taken 16 months!

So today I ordered a few bits with the intention of recommencing my build. I found and have ordered Oilite bushes for the rockers and the camshaft. These are all oversized so they can be machined to match the originals. I have also ordered a length of 35mm cast iron for the other end of the camshaft. I have ordered silver steel in various diameters to manufacture various components to replace worn parts.

It is my intention to follow the example of Deiselspanner and machine the worn ends of the camshaft, before turning the replacement Oilite and cast iron bushes to fit. I have access to a mates lathe and will start to post pictures and progress reports as soon as I get the materials.

Looking forward to making some progress. Not looking forward to pouring concrete and building it a home or explaining to my wife where the money went.

R.I.P Peter,
Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Well guys and girls, I have finally managed to get a small interim payment, for my injuries, out of an insurance company. It has only taken 16 months!

I'd like to congratulate you Bob but I don't think that is appropriate. I'm sure there is no sense of achievement in this really, just relief mixed with anger and sadness.

The law is fked when it comes to this type of thing and there is no other way to say it.  I spent the day in court today listening to endless bullshit and fabrications as a bunch of scum tried every trick in the book to get out of their responsibilities and liabilities for a fine that will be nothing more than a slap on the wrist when they should have been locked up. As I say often, too often, the law is all about protecting the guilty and fk the victims.

If I were in gubbermint, my god that would soon change!
I WOULD bring back capital punishment and all the screaming sooks jumping up and down could get stuffed.  A smart arse Journo friend of a friend asked me some time back when I said capital punishment should be brought back if I had the guts to press the button, flick the switch or whatever. I said my preferred option would be to pull the trigger and today, I only re confirmed to myself I could and do have the balls to do that no question. 

I really wonder about those who say they couldn't. Why would Should any POS who murdered a kid or mutilated a woman or whatever be allowed to live? There is no reason and as for compassion or whatever, where the hell was there's when they did the cowardy dog acts they did.

Sorry to get off track, but I have a good idea and too much experience of what you are going through and a red raw nerve tonight. 
I hope you get what you more than deserve, not that you can ever probably be adequately compensated. I also hope those responsible get a real good message sent to them although I'm sorry to say, I find that highly unlikely.

I am glad to read you are at least able to do some more to your project and I sincerely hope the rest of your recovery is better than expectation.  I may be able to pay you that visit over Easter as I'm heading north for hopefully some of my own therapy.
Maybe I could bring a couple of Bikini Bimbos I have to shoot with over and we can put your engine back together enough to look the part and shoot a Lister calendar.  Might get some young fella interested in what us ol farts do enough to preserve some of these machines.
Clearly after todays news,  our hobby of Dinosaurs could use an injection of fresh Blood.

I might actually make that a project. Maybe Put a smile on some faces. I have some girls here that want me to make them Instagram famous so I'll drag the hammeroid up to the bush shed and shoot some pics. 
Wouldn't be hard for me to make up a Downloadable Calendar if anyone were interested.  :0)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
Thanks Glort, you know, from personal experience, what I am learning every day that there are no winners in these situations, only losers. The lawyers make a buck and everybody else gets royally f**cked. I actually feel some sympathy for the lawyers as they have to listen to whinging clients all day while the law determines that they can do little if anything to assist. What it does to their mental health and personal esteem I can only guess at. I have been told that doctors, lawyers and counsellors have some of the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide amongst the professions.

As for the death penalty I`m with you, for those that pray on the weak, innocent, nave  and infirm there should be no penalty other than death. This is not because I am cruel or bloodthirsty but because I am kind and would like the the money we spend on incarceration and policing  spent on health care, age pensions, educating the young and treating the sick. I`ll happily stand beside you and pull the trigger to eliminate our society of some of it`s worst elements to divert care to some of it`s young, sick and old.
I think that if we could divert just some of the money spent on jailing people to providing mental health care, to the mentally disadvantaged in society, we could reduce the prison population dramatically and ensure safe environments for all our people.
I am sick and tired of watching violent offenders laughing at our court system and the will of the Australian people. For evil to prevail all that is required is that good men (and women) do nothing. We have a responsibility to bequeath a safe, stable and just world to future generations, one in which the violent, indolent and greedy have no place and the elderly, sick and infirm are supported and cherished.

If you want to go for public office I`ll support you, it`s time for good men (and women) to stand together against the tide of indifference, greed and incompetence.

Sorry for the (and women) bit, sounds a bit like a sketch from a Monty Python film. I guess I am lucky in that I care for my wife and respect her opinion.

Vote Glort,
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »
just in case I didn`t make myself clear about the death penalty take a look at this and tell me I`m wrong https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/39572186/parents-couldnt-afford-to-vaccinate-baby-that-died-from-meningo/

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »

I say Vote Bob.
Clearly a lot smarter than I am.

I used, before the gubbermint made it all too hard, be into pistol shooting and had a few guns in general.
Also had a conversation with friends do gooder friend about " gun fantasies".
She said do you ever think you'd like to shoot someone instead of just paper targets?  I said I certainly do, almost every day. She made some sarcastic comment as to the mentality of gun owners and asked who I wanted to " Blow away"?

I said my "gun fantasies" were to be there when some Piece of ship broke into some elderly peoples places and bashed  them for $20 or  to be there when some pack of scum were raping some young girl on her way home from an honest job unlike anything they were familiar with.   I said fantasised about being able to protect some little kid from being taken and murdered by some deranged Psychopath. I said maybe it was one hell of an ego trip but I wasn't thinking of me as the hero, I could get locked up for tagging some low life even if I was saving someone else. I was just thinking of sparing the people and their loved ones from pain and suffering or unimaginable terror in their last moments of life.

I told the do gooder, you bet your arse I would " Blow Them away" but ya know, in all the stress and excitement, even though I can put 50 shots into the size of a teacup at 25M with one hand,  I might miss the first 9 times from 3 ft away and hit them in painful spots and then take a good long while while I cared for whoever I could save while I decided where the 10th round may go. Or I might just forget all about them and leave them where they were for a week or so until I remember to tell someone where they were. Good chance they would have succumbed to lead poisoning by then. It would be productive to have them make the news like this and spread the message to those that think they are so smug and clever that the game has changed and things aren't going to be so funny any more.

I told the leftie do gooder journo, you think I'm a fruit loop, you are spot on, but I sure as hell am the fruitloop with a gun you would be praying to be around when you or a loved one were in trouble with a fruitloop that had a fantasy of hurting or killing you. 

Even without a gun, I watch the news (rarely) and hear things and just wish I could be there to help someone.  People say but you might get hurt or killed. So Effing what?  Is the inference then that one should stand back and let someone else get it so as you don't?
The typical line of the cops make me sick. " Don't get involved or be a vigilante, leave it to us. Yessss. The 2 times I have called the cops, I was told both times " There were no cars in the area and it would be at least 1 hours wait".

I did something today that I was dreading. My gut has been churning for a week thinking about it but I knew, If I didn't find the balls to do it, I'd never forgive myself and resent it for the rest of my life.  Seeing someone being hurt would be the same. Rather not be here than live the rest of my days knowing what a chicken shit I was by not doing all I could to help someone regardless if I got hurt.

Other people may have different opinions and reasons. Maybe a parent with young kids would take another view and I don't blame them, they have a responsibility to their families first and foremost. My family would probably get on better without me and at very least, if the worst did happen, I'd give them something to be proud of in that I tried and did what I could.

Like you Bob, I am sick of these career Pieces of ship getting brought before a court time and time again and still walking out with " another chance".

I have a friend I was talking to tonight about events we had gone though today. He reminded me of his own experience with Justice.
When he was 12, he was repeatedly sexually assaulted by one of his fathers mates. He told his father at the time and copped a hiding for telling lies.
About 10 years later he came across the guy that assaulted him and found he was still in a position of contact with kids. He went to the cops and their investigation found 14 other people from around the time of my mates experience that said they had also been assulted by him. In the mean time, he had racked up another offence for paedophilia, done time and was out. 

In my mates case, he got 3.5years and was out in 2.5.
A couple of years ago, this same guy was charged and convicted of murder in another kidnapping of a young boy that was headlines at the time.
My mate is still conflicted by the fact this POS got out after being convicted twice before and then went on and actually killed a child. He has it in his mind that he should have done more and now as a recent father himself, is deeply troubled by what the parents of the child the scum bag killed must think when this guy was locked up and then let free to go on and kill their boy.

The cost of these trials, the cost of keeping these less than animals alive is ridiculous and as you say Bob, could be put to much better use.   
Gimmie back my gun! I can fix 10 of these problems at a time for just 1 Dollar.  And if the do gooders or anyone else thinks I don't have what it takes, just show me the police evidence pictures of what they have done and put me to the test.

And If I see one more bleeding heart parent on the Box wailing about how their son "was a good boy" as the cops drag him off with a record already as long as your arm for assault, drug dealing, car theft and other crimes, I am going to find them and kick their arses till they get a nose bleed for insulting everyone's intelligence and being such piss poor parents in the first place.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
The 2 times I have called the cops, I was told both times " There were no cars in the area and it would be at least 1 hours wait".

My favourite (sadly, it's an urban legend) story along those lines is this:

Philip Hewitson, an elderly man, from Norwich, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that hed left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. Phillip opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked Is someone in your house?"

He said "No, but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available."

Philip said, "Okay." He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again. "Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you dont have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, Six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Hewitson`s residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to Philip, "I thought you said that youd shot them!"

Philip said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »

I'm not sure how urban legend that actually is at least in context.

I was with a mate once when much the same thing happened. His Mrs was home and saw some punks in the back yard going through stuff they had in their rear carport. Called the cops, exactly same thing, stay inside, don't approach them someone will come when they can but might be a while.  She rang and asked how far away we were and I told her to ring back and say Hurry because I think they are stealing my boyfriends guns.
She did and of course cops made it there in record time.  Only one car at first but by the time we got there plenty were in attendance.

She and mate got questioned about guns which he never had of course and he had guns but my Golf clubs are there. GF said she must have made a mistake and that was it.  Least the bludgers came.   Little parasites were picked up 4 days later when they went to try and hock some stuff at the only pawnbrokers in town whom my mate had been to see next day.

The night I bought my wife and newborn son home from hospital, the scum next door had one of their usual Saturday night parties. They were stirring the dog up and then started throwing bottles at her smashing on the concrete.  When I went out to see what was going on, one jumped up on the fence and smashed me over the head with a bottle resulting in my bleeding like a chook with it's throat cut.  Went in and Mrs called the cops and they did arrive in numbers but did NOTHING. Would not even break up the party as they said the music was quite and they weren't causing a disturbance.

They took me in to identify who hit me who I knew and I also knew he hadn't left but the cops refused my demand the place be searched for him.
They went to leave and I asked if they were going to have someone there till the party finished. The suggestion was scoffed at but they said they would have a car pass by when it could. I was pissed off and said Fine, you can't protect my wife and son, I certainly can.
With that the head revenue collector who was talking to some other monkeys in training came storming over to me and gave me a dressing down about taking matters into my own hands. He got a mouthful back as the ambos were now trying to sit me down before my limited brain matter ran out all over my shoes. I told him they were bloody useless, had done nothing and were a waste of time and money and to get out my sight.

Suffice to say I gave those bastards next door hell till they moved which took longer than I would have thought. By the time I was sick of the games and really motivated them, they left so quick that I tried to follow them to see where they were going and they lost me running red lights.

The cops were useless and although that was 23 years ago now, the dealings I have had to have through the years have all been similar.
I had a car accident a few years ago where a guy ran into me and tried to give me a licence that was someone elses and cancelled.  I had passed a breath testing setup where there were at least a Dozen of them with 10 of them standing around about 2km down the road. When I rang and told them the guy was giving me a cancelled licence that wasn't his and I didn't have a clue who he was, they refused to send anyone with the old " No one available " line.  I told the woman on the radio there was a bunch of them standing round 2km down the road with their hands in their pockets and their was no reason they could not attend. 

Nope.

One is supposed to respect the law but it's no wonder the thugs don't when as a law abiding citizen, even I think they are a joke.
For me, respect has to be earned. I don't hold hold it as a position in regard to anyone that has repeatedly dissapointed me and not held themselves out to be fulfilling their role adequately let alone exceeding expectations.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Hey Guys, finally put in my order for $600 worth of parts to complete the rebuild of the bottom end of my 6/1, looking forward to being able to post some pictures of progress, also looking forward to bombarding all you knowledgeable people about end float clearances and etc.

Happy days,  :laugh:
Bob.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »

How long before the Bits arrive Bob?

Make sure the digital camera batteries are charged and you have it with you to take plenty of Pics and of course a good Video of the first fire up.
I hope the rebuild provides you all the satisfaction and motivation you want and need. being the kind soul I am, if you have a hankering for more rehab when it's done, I'll bring mine up to you so you can get yourself even more better and on the mend.

I know, it's just the kind of generous guy I am!    :angel:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
Hey Glort, parts being couriered to me this week. Camera charging, beer in the fridge and I`m off the antidepressants.

BRING IT ON!   ;D

Bob