Author Topic: diesel tank repair  (Read 2389 times)

lewis66

• View Profile
diesel tank repair
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »
hi all has anyone found a good product like jb weld etc in the uk for fixing pin holes in a fuel tank , the tank is totally dry having sat for years , any thoughts appreciated

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: diesel tank repair
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
A mate of mine used this, on  an old BSA tank, and said it was worth the money..........

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

startinghandle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:31 AM »
some years ago I bought a small saw bench with a petter  engine and there was a couple of small  holes in bottom of fuel tank , when I cleaned surface the holes were bigger so I repaired by brazing and no trouble since

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:38:29 AM »
I washed mine out with apple cider vinegar, think I might have soaked it for a while and that cleaned up the rust. Then I silver brazed the pin holes. It doesn't need quite as much heat to flow nicely (with flux).

Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
i have brazed a lot of tanks, sometmes if they are real bad seems like you have to get so much of the bottom hot it warps and then cracks as it cools down. not sure what the solution is for that.  I have also used por15 tank coating. I soaked the inside of the tank with muratic acid from the hardware store untill it was clean metal and then dry it out. then you dump the por15 in and roll it around. it coats the inside of the tank. I have also used krem tank coating. it is cheaper than por 15 but seems to peel off after a few years. I have also used the little tubes of kwick steel putty that you knead together.  i just stick it right over the hole from the outside (with the tank drained and cleaned) and let it set for 20 min. little dap of kwick steel seems to last just as good as anyting. JB weld is not worth the powder to blow it to hell. if you do want to use something like it order some fastweld 10. it is gray and 2 part like jb but is every thing jb weld claims to be. sets faster and is way more durable.  what an odesey of glue I have been on now that i think of it.