Puppeteer

Author Topic: Power meter  (Read 2004 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Power meter
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
Hi All

A few weeks back, well more like months, truth be told, I had a spare couple of hours and whilst gazing at my CS I was wondering about fine tuning.

On the theory that an engine in a high state of tuning would use less fuel I came up with a simple power meter that magnifies the movement of the injector pump fuel rack.

It's a simple cam that is directly connected to a pointer. there's a movable marker against the dial face, the idea being that before making any further adjustment the current rack position is marked with a fixed load, 500w lamp, immersion element, electric kettle, whatever is to hand.

After making an adjustment, IP timing, injector pressure, tappet clearance ect. any change in fuel usage when running with the same load, at the same revs, should be apparent.

Obviously it won't be the ultimate tuning device, but from the few minutes I spent playing with it it certainly detects extra load being applied, and I hope it will register the difference when using fuels other than dino diesel.

Since then other projects, log splitter, car port, local farmers livestock trailer, running a B&B ect, have got in the way so I've yet to put theory to the test but as the site is pretty quiet I thought I'd post up and see what sort of reaction it gets.........

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Power meter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
I like it!!

But.... The more learned lads can shoot me down here if I am talking BS.... I found that while advancing the IP timing gave better consumption figures to a point (less rack opening for a given load), the best consumption did not seem to be the best ignition point for my unit - it became "excessively loud" in the diesel knock department and I was concerned that it would damage bearings if operated long term. I opted to back it off a few degrees (Still somewhat more advanced than factory spec due to the heavier oil I was fueling it on)..... IP Pressures made little difference(to a point), Injector nozzles made a fair difference(Tested 2 or 3 sizes), Injector line length made a difference to timing, Tappet clearance made very tiny differences for a fair range of settings, then major differences as the gaps were opened more, The number of drive belts only made a relatively small difference(once warm), Running temperature and playing thermostat games made little difference to consumption.... But it does add up in the end...

I am interested to see what your metering brings to light!!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Samo

• View Profile
Re: Power meter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:10:36 PM »
Hey Stef,

Nice idea, and I can see that working well if you provide another reference metric like AC load. Because then you can reference fuel to load, and that would be useful to indicate changing efficiency over time...

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid